586,111 active members*
3,320 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 50 of 90 40484950515260
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1793
    Quote Originally Posted by bobchiloquin View Post

Mariss, next time you uncage your gryo, make sure you have the PIGAs enabled. That way you can keep an eye on you progress and not crash into the stops.

Bob Hayes
    Bob,

Or just not tumble the aircraft to begin with.:-)

Mariss

To anyone feeling "strung along" .....GROW UP

The reason for honoring the target price is to give everyone who knows about the new drives a chance to get them at the expected price. There is no misleading, Mariss advertised a cheap drive and he will deliver for 2 weeks, plenty of time for all the hobbyists watching this thread to get theirs.

If not for this thread, everyone would be ecstatic to get a gecko for $61.

Mariss has given us a rare opportunity to be a part of the development of a new product. To thank him, you ridicule him for not sticking to a ballpark "target" price?

You would really be whining if you found out your new car was supposed to cost $12k and get 50mpg, but it was actually $17k and get 34mpg. Things like this happen with new products every day, you just don't know about them because you don't have an inside view of the development.

I feel Mariss has earned his "godlike" status on cnczone. He is an exceptional engineer and a great human being. He has earned the respect of the cnczone community through hard work and remarkable customer service.

I'll be adding to my collection of 7 geckos regardless of the price, I base my purchases on VALUE.

Matt

Matt,
    I have been following the thread since the beginning and then we hit the crap at the end.
    I think you have put it better than I could with your statement:
    "If not for this thread, everyone would be ecstatic to get a gecko for $61"
    I for one appreciate the thought process that was put into this drive. A target was set at the beginning and then all of a sudden we had people jumping in asking for various "upgrades".. Well they were provided and now we hear people griping (and I am being PC) about the price.
    If Mariss had not published a "target" price, this thread would be half the length!

Mariss,
    I understand exactly where you are coming from re- retirement. My compay was bought out when I was 57 and I thought I was to young to retire so got another position.
    Well, that has come and gone and I am now "semi-fully" retired. Enjoy it and you will find that you still want to "keep your hand in" as people like you cannot just stop "thinking"..

Best of luck
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Matt,

Thanks for your comments but I still have to "own" my failings where I let people down. Were the shoe on the other foot and I read $29, $29, and $29 again, I'd be seriously let down to suddenly see $61.

If I can be a Pollyanna for a little bit:

We have no formal distributors at all. We haven't had any since 2001 because they didn't perform and we got rid of them all. Everyone reselling Geckodrives does it by buying them at a quantity discount and generally selling them below our singles price. The relationship is completely ad hoc.

The G201 price structure is very miserly; $114 singles, $87 in thousands. That leaves $27 to play with to make a profit at 1,000 units. Most don't even do that; they pay $96 for the 100 price and have only $18 to work with.

I have followed prices on resellers and on average, most make do with $10. Hard to imagine how someone can clear a profit on that; it must be because they sell other stuff with the Geckos.

What I expect is the same will happen with the G250s. You will be able to pick them up from resellers for $39 or less. That's not nearly as bad as $61. Our promise, and resellers depend on it, is we won't sell singles below that. What they do between $61 and $29 is entirely up to them. My guess is competition will place it $10 or less above the $29 floor.

God, I HATE the marketing stuff.

Mariss

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

Well, that has come and gone and I am now "semi-fully" retired. Enjoy it and you will find that you still want to "keep your hand in" as people like you cannot just stop "thinking"..

Best of luck
    Bubba,

What you offer is a spring of ice-cool water bubbling up around moss-covered rocks on a hot day.

For the first time since I was 16 years old, I have woken up a few times this past year hating what I do and wishing I was elsewhere. It's time.

I would like to lay down on my back on summer-warmed green grass next to a burbling spring, my hands behind my head and watch cloud castles march across the deep blue sky. That is happiness; not a worry or thought, no obligation or responsibility. I did this when I was 16. I want to go back while I still can.

Mariss

Mariss,
    I get up in the morning and "think" to my self, todays project is "", then in the afternoon at "libation" time, I think to my self, "oh well, maybe tomorrow" if it didn't get done, otherwise, I have to think hard about what will be the project for tomorrow. Damn, I get a headache thinking of that. Looking at the clouds above my tree line might be nicer:})

I wish you the best, but remeber you have a lot of friends here and on the yahoo list.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

OK. Something is very wrong with CNCzone. It repeated my previous post, totally dumped my current one.

Mariss

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Mariss,
    I get up in the morning and "think" to my self, todays project is "", then in the afternoon at "libation" time, I think to my self, "oh well, maybe tomorrow" if it didn't get done, otherwise, I have to think hard about what will be the project for tomorrow. Damn, I get a headache thinking of that. Looking at the clouds above my tree line might be nicer:})

I wish you the best, but remeber you have a lot of friends here and on the yahoo list.
    Don't get me wrong. I get up every morning at the crack of dawn and I'm primed to slay any technical dragons in my way. Other days it's even better because I'm armed with a new idea aching to be tested. Those are the best days.

The spring analogy is apt because it describes who I am. Some nights I dream and the next morning I constructively remember the dream that gives me a new idea. Othertimes I have a waking dream that does the same thing, suddenly put a bunch of pieces together into a new idea. I have no idea how that happens.

I'm just a very ordinary guy who would be working to get along were it not for this spring. When it has run dry, I have thought that's it, it's all over and I'm just like everyone else now. It always has bubbled up again though.

I'm not a particularly intelligent guy. I have people I admire and a few I'm honored to know as friends. We gather most Friday nights over good food and fine wine to discuss physics, philosophy or Angelina Jolie. Basically great conversation. I'm in awe of their knowledge and insight; a few are PhDs in their fields. What I have to offer is I "see" things. Maybe that is why I'm suffered.

I'm a happy and very lucky guy. I have something I use I never worked for or earned. Ideas just pop up in my head.

Mariss

Mariss,

This thread has been worth every minute of reading. I had a great insight into what and how you accomplished the things you set out to do. WELL DONE -- KUDOS.

Do yourself a favor and stay out of the Hot tub with a drink in your hand, or you will never retire. And don't under-estimate re-tirement. It can go both ways for you if you aren't careful about your thought processes.

I learned a long time ago that it is hard to suddenly let go of things, which are really loved, and do nothing to replace it.

Also, I will buy your new "CHEAP DRIVES" even if at a higher price than the original target price.

Good luck to you,

Al

Al,

That matters a lot. I'm always looking over my shoulder second-guessing how I screwed up and always looking out in front to see where I might screw up. I never see what I may have done right.

Mariss

Question

Is a four drive package deal with BOB going to be available during the special offer deal?

JoeyB

The G540 is much more than a BOB. It is a complete 4-axis controller with drives that you only need to connect with motor cables, a parallel port cable and power supply. It is then ready to go.

The drives are optoisolated, short-circuit protected, reverse polarity protected, over-temperate protected and over-voltage protected. They become 4 mini-G203V drives as in indestructible. You hook up your limit switches to the inputs, you hook up your relays to the outputs. All inputs and outputs are optoisolated as well. If you use Mach3, there is a charge pump to shut things down if the PC croaks. You hook up your motor power supply and you are good to go. 10 minutes of your time, $300 and you have a complete working 4-axis system.

Mariss

this post prolly isnt needed.as there are im sure alot of people who feel the same way. i just felt it need to be said...

ill have to admit it..i too was disapointed at the price as i thought "target price" was going to be very near the price that they can be bought for ..forever...just the thought of getting some of the best drives for a very low price was just awsome,i even sent a message to another guy, who had gotten some "put downs" for even saying that the drives should have been closer to the target price.alot has went into this drive.the price went up.

all the "fighting" has come from guys either glad to pay for the higher price (while knowing that the drive is well worth every penny) or from guys who thought (as i did ) that the drive was going to be very near the $29.00 target price (forever),alot has been said (well,.. typed ) since then,mariss has been honest from the beginning he has even recently apoligized for misleading people like me.that shows he has sorta saw how it could have been seen as misleading,

i say.. there is really no need in carrying this "fighting" on any farther.what you type here after it is here can never be taken away...i even had something i was gonna put in a few pages back saying "i was disapointed at the new double price" now im glad i had not..as it would have only added to the backbiting,and not really helped anything.

the drive will be awsome..im still very amazed at the VERY small size of that thing..and what all it can handle...mariss is very good at waht he does..he has given insight to his work,and (more recently) his life,Godlike?? i dont think any body will ever acheive that...after all there is only one... but he (mariss) has been very honest,and as i say the fighting has just came up due to the price,and none of the fighting has come from mariss just "us".

again this post is prolly not really needed (i am refering to my usless two cents here) but lets let it go now ok...yeah every one has a valid point the price ..is.. nearly almost doubled as to the target price,no point in saying it was because of this or that...and calling some guys the equivilent of "stupid" for being disapointed at the price,as nothing can be done about it now,

the way i see it (and this is only an opinion not facts,and my opinion dont really matter anyway,but here it is.. ) there are simply two schools of thought here..

1) guys who want a cheaper drive than the other Gecko's and are very happy to have 'em at pretty much any price ,these guys know what a good drive is ,and the work that has went into the drive to get it to the point it is at now.they know mariss "knows his stuff" and are ready to defend him for anyone who will say anything bad about him.

then theres ..

2) the guys who saw the first post and thought man i can get a Gecko drive for $29.00 (ill have to admit im prolly in this group) so .. i can get a Gecko drive for $29.00!!!!!! WOW!! thats alot cheaper than the other Geckos i cant wait to get these drives" ...along the way the price went up a lil bit..but not nearly as the latest price shows,but ..still thinking "i can get a 3 axis Gecko drive set up going for like $100.00 thats amazing!!" ..then fast foward to the price change.."whoa!! wait a minute here the $29.00 cheap drive is close to twice the original price??""

as i said, im glad i waited to read the last few post where mariss has apolagized for what could be seen as misleading ,and all the fighting has come from "us regular cnc zoners" any thing you type here cant be taken back ..like a word spoken...feelings can get hurt..and people can be made feel "stupid" for being new to this hobby and thinking they were getting a Gecko drive for $29.00 and then see it at $61.00 .

things can get outa hand...and if everyone would not be so quick to retaliate ,then there would be no need for my post here.

i really am glad i didnt jump on the band wagon, and take one side or the other..and start "putting someone down" for a simple misunderstanding and im also going to apolagize for this post being so Very long

mariss i want to thank you for your work ,for us hobby type people .you explain things well and seem to be a really nice guy.

to the rest of you reading this ,that have been involved with this post ,i hope i have not offended you in any way...by what i have "typed in" ....if i have ..I AM VERY SORRY ..
    i just wanted to get this out there and lets get over it..and let him get on with his "build log" again sorry if i have offended any one as i have set here long and hard thinking about this ..and have for a few days..lets all be friends..carry on... "mariss the stepper king"
    "witty comment"

Question Warranty

What is the warranty on these?

JoeyB

Question

What makes this different from the Hobby CNC four drive deal for $99.00?

http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hob...er-board-kits/

JoeyB

Quote Originally Posted by joeybagadonuts View Post
    What is the warranty on these?

JoeyB
    Honestly? Who knows. It hasn't even been considered until now. The usual probably will apply. We stand behind everything we sell. Except for our manure spreaders of course. We stand in front of them.

Mariss

What makes this different from the Hobby CNC four drive deal for $99.00?

http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hob...er-board-kits/

JoeyB
    I never publicly analyze, compare or cut-down competing drives. This is no exception.

Mariss

Question

What is the usual warranty?

JoeyB

Quote Originally Posted by .xXACEXx. View Post

the way i see it (and this is only an opinion not facts,and my opinion dont really matter anyway,but here it is.. ) there are simply two schools of thought here..

1) guys who want a cheaper drive than the other Gecko's and are very happy to have 'em at pretty much any price ,these guys know what a good drive is ,and the work that has went into the drive to get it to the point it is at now.they know mariss "knows his stuff" and are ready to defend him for anyone who will say anything bad about him.

then theres ..

2) the guys who saw the first post and thought man i can get a Gecko drive for $29.00 (ill have to admit im prolly in this group) so .. i can get a Gecko drive for $29.00!!!!!! WOW!! thats alot cheaper than the other Geckos i cant wait to get these drives" ...along the way the price went up a lil bit..but not nearly as the latest price shows,but ..still thinking "i can get a 3 axis Gecko drive set up going for like $100.00 thats amazing!!" ..then fast foward to the price change.."whoa!! wait a minute here the $29.00 cheap drive is close to twice the original price??""

i think your quite right but there are the guys who are are a combination of the two types you've mentioned
    i use the 201 drives which was the best move i could have made , they are great drivers , when i had troubles is when i found the real quality of gecko drives , the people behind them . i dont doubt for a minute that the gecko team did it's best to keep the drives at 29 bucks
    when i saw the beginning of this thread i thought " holy crap this will rescale the pricing of the stepper industry " some brutal competition for the imports .
    and the thought of getting 3 axis for under $100 was beautifull , my initial reaction to the actual price was "bummer" but i didn t think much more of it because it was clear throughout this thread the quality of work and thought that went into them , bottom line is anyone spending $29 $60 $90 $200 for gecko's drives willunderstand the quality that is packed into that package , and i think people will appreciate the fact they didn t jeoprodize the quality of the driver in order to flog them off and flood the market , i think theres more pride involved than to stoop to levels that so many other companies have , by living off the name and forget the quality
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

What is the usual warranty?

JoeyB
    OK, officially it's 1 year. Unofficially; you own it, you sell it, we take care of it forever.

We still have 9 year-old G201 REV0s come back once in a while for evaluation. We no longer have test stands for them because of their old, gray non-pluggable connectors. The technicians have to manually connect the drives instead of plugging them into the automated test stands. PIA but they get tested and if needed, repaired anyway. All for free including return shipping. If a drive can be repaired, we repair it.

If they have been killed really dead, we ask you where you want the body buried. We cannot restore really killed dead drives. If you have never returned a drive before, you qualify for the "one time, stuff happens deal". You get a brand new drive for the one you ran over with a forklift, hooked up 230VAC to or just made a simple human mistake with (reverse power supply polarity is the current popular mistake). One time only though.

That is our policy.

Mariss

Page 50 of 90 40484950515260