586,069 active members*
3,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 53 of 90 343515253545563
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1793
    Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    i'm trying to create a breakout board, or a connection to my current bob
    there is no gecko connector , as far as i know, at this time, for the initial $29 boards.
    dan

ps
    screw termination is much easier
    True. G250 = NO connector. G251 = Connector.

CR.

The connector type on the 251 should work. What type is that?
    Lee

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    IQChallanged,

The "one time, stuff happens deal" is always open to you whenever you want exercise it. It was designed specifically for accidents and mistakes. You get a new drive, we get a written description of how the drive got to be dead. This info is entered in a database which we use to see what improvements can be made based on these reports. Mariss
    Well, I may be poised for that right now. But probably not. I recently posted about a weird problem. Then I declared it "fixed". The problem resulted from some less-than-tight wires. But now that it's fixed-- I'm having a problem with the router going "off script". Sheet Cam makes a g-code but the router does something different, but not like before. It doesn't jerk or grind but it does get off path and spoil the piece. The first thing I suspected was a lose gear so I did my backlash test of cutting a circle. Sure enough it was way out of true. I just knew I had found my problem because a lose gear caused this before. So I tore it down this morning. No lose gear. So I'm wondering if the drive may still be suspect. I've noticed an occasional "stutter" but assumed it was unimportant. It should be noted that this machine (even if it is my first build) has always performed flawlessly. Pics to follow.

Is it a driver???

Quote Originally Posted by IQChallenged View Post
    But now that it's fixed-- I'm having a problem with the router going "off script". Sheet Cam makes a g-code but the router does something different, but not like before. It doesn't jerk or grind but it does get off path and spoil the piece. Pics to follow.
    One pic shows how the circle is out of true (1/4" bit). The circle is roughly 2" in diameter. The other pic shows a part that's totally wacko. The drawing at the right shows what it is supposed to look like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X.JPG   X2.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by cwm9 View Post
    Anyway, glad you like the discount request... couldn't let Marris go without asking for just a little more blood!
    Well, Mariss is busy testing out a new oscilloscope because one of our technicians stole his to use on their test stand at the other end of the shop, so I will take this one. The G540 will be on sale some time in the next month hopefully, and it should be going for around $300. Because the cost of the board has not been determined, we have to wait to figure out pricing. I am a bit hesitant to say how much it will cost because we do not know for certain, but $300 is the target.

sawmiller,

Those connectors will work, but I am not sure about plugging it on like that because of the odd front facing lead. If you want 90 degree connectors, then try these:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...?name=S5529-ND
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...?name=S5568-ND

They are a bit pricey in single quantity at $2 apiece.

Crevice Reamer,

The G250 comes with a 2x15 header on it, and will be in either male or female. I am currently working out our new website, and they will be two distinct products. The G251 only comes in one flavor with the 3.5mm 12 pin connector. Those connectors can be found here:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=ED1524-ND

I hope that helps you out. They, too, are kind of pricey in single quantity.

IQ,

If you give us a call, we can try to figure it out. You can also send the drives back with a brief note describing what happened, and we will take a look at them. If they are fixable, we will do so. If not, then you will get your one time stuff happens drive; either way, you will have an operational drive.

Marcus Freimanis

Quote Originally Posted by CoAMarcus View Post
    Crevice Reamer,

The G250 comes with a 2x15 header on it, and will be in either male or female. I am currently working out our new website, and they will be two distinct products. The G251 only comes in one flavor with the 3.5mm 12 pin connector.Marcus Freimanis
    So there are actually THREE cheap drives?

1. G250 M

2. G250 F

3. G251

CR.

Question G250

Will a standard IDC type connector interface to the G250 and if so will the ribbon cable be capable of handling the amperage requirements of the drive

JoeyB

Crevice Reamer,

Yes, there will be three technically. The G250M and G250F are identical aside from the connector. The G251 is functionally identical aside from the 3.5mm connector and the heatsink plate.

joey,

A ribbon cable will not be able to take the current that a drive will require. Ribbon cable is only good up to less than an amp, and that will just never do. I am sure someone here knows the exact current rating on ribbon cable, but just know that it is not a good idea.

Marcus Freimanis

So nice!

Quote Originally Posted by CoAMarcus View Post
    If you give us a call, we can try to figure it out. You can also send the drives back with a brief note describing what happened, and we will take a look at them. If they are fixable, we will do so. If not, then you will get your one time stuff happens drive; either way, you will have an operational drive. Marcus Freimanis
    Can't beat that! I must leave now to go to work. In the interest of reducing the suspense hanging over me can you tell me if the pics I put up suggest in any way that my problem is the driver? I'm sure there are some behaviors that simply cannot be blamed on the Geckos. (And besides that I don't want to be barking up the wrong tree)

Can't beat that! I must leave now to go to work. In the interest of reducing the suspense hanging over me can you tell me if the pics I put up suggest in any way that my problem is the driver? I'm sure there are some behaviors that simply cannot be blamed on the Geckos. (And besides that I don't want to be barking up the wrong tree)
    It looks like you're loosing steps in one direction. Check your wiring and motor tunning. You may be driving your motors too hard.

-Andrey-

Quote Originally Posted by alipavsky View Post
    It looks like you're loosing steps in one direction. Check your wiring and motor tunning. You may be driving your motors too hard.

-Andrey-
    Got knocked out of going to a Mach workshop less than a hundred miles from here and don't know when it'll be repeated. Until then I don't have a clue as to HOW to tune my motors unless you're talking about the selections made in Mach. (I know there are some screws that can be turned on the drives but I've never messed with them) I have some selections made in Mach. My steps are 630, Vel 200, Accel 30. All of that was done by the seat of my pants. I usually run at F60 of F30. I am pure rack and pinion and have no gear reduction. I actually prefer running rather slow. Anyhow- running perfectly for over a year. Must run to work. Will check back for any replies.

Question IDC Specs

Are these specs correct?

http://www.regalusa.com/sockets_and_headers.html#4075

http://www.regalusa.com/4075_76.PDF

Is it true you cannot use any type of cable to interface the IDC connector because of the 1 amp limitation?

Is it correct that the type of IDC the cheap drive uses is rated at 3.0 amps maximum, does that mean the connector is under rated for the 3.5 amp feature the cheap drive was designed for?

Could this cause the wire or connector to overheat or burn?

JoeyB

One pic shows how the circle is out of true (1/4" bit). The circle is roughly 2" in diameter. The other pic shows a part that's totally wacko. The drawing at the right shows what it is supposed to look like.
    Are you using a breakout board? If so, whose?

Mariss

Are you using a breakout board? If so, whose?

Mariss
    Yes. Bob Campbell. Never any probs until the earlier one with the noise and the jerking which was cured by tightening everything.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybagadonuts View Post
    Are these specs correct?

http://www.regalusa.com/sockets_and_headers.html#4075

Is it true you cannot use any type of cable to interface the IDC connector because of the 1 amp limitation?

Is it correct that the type of IDC the cheap drive uses is rated at 3.0 amps maximum, does that mean the connector is under rated for the 3.5 amp feature the cheap drive was designed for?

Could this cause the wire or connector to overheat or burn?

JoeyB
    If you are asking about the G250, ribbon cable should work OK. Here's why: The G250 has 4 header pins dedicated to each high current termination (+VDC, GND and 4 motor terminals). These 4 header pins for each result in 4 adjacent wires in your ribbon cable. If each wire in the ribbon is 1A rated, this brings the cable rating up to 4A if the 4 wires are paralleled (tied together) at the cable to motor wire connection.

We thought ahead on this one.:-)

Mariss

Yes. Bob Campbell. Never any probs until the earlier one with the noise and the jerking which was cured by tightening everything.
    Bummer. The cause will be a loose connection or short elsewhere. Trace the DIR wiring from drive to BOB in particular. The drive is way to stupid to come up with such a 'creative' error on its own. Something is telling it to do that.

Unlike you, the drive truly is IQ challanged. If you told it to jump off a cliff, it would.:-)

Mariss

Bummer. The cause will be a loose connection or short elsewhere. Trace the DIR wiring from drive to BOB in particular. The drive is way to stupid to come up with such a 'creative' error on its own. Something is telling it to do that.

Unlike you, the drive truly is IQ challanged. If you told it to jump off a cliff, it would.:-)

Mariss
    Will check. Must run to work. Is it likely that the driver (or other) is permanently damaged or is it possible that some tightening might cure this? Will check when I get home in the morning. Thanks

Something else occurred to me. In Mach3, make sure:

1) Ports and Pins: Step must be checked "Active LOW"
    2) Motor Tuning: Set "Step Pulse Width" to 3 microseconds.

Mariss

And maybee you can try to set "Debounce" to 2000.

I may have missed this question, and if it has been covered already, please excuse me.

Will there be a limit to the number of drives one can get during the intro price batch?

I only need 3, maybe 4...... I was just wondering if it was going to be possible to get some before they (intro price batch) are all gone.
    Walking is highly over-rated

Page 53 of 90 343515253545563