586,103 active members*
3,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 1992 Fadal 4020HT startup Z and C axis errors

1992 Fadal 4020HT startup Z and C axis errors

I purchased a Fadal 4020HT CNC and am trying to get it working. It was sold as a working machine , but I'm finding out it not a correct statement. First of all, It's Fadal model 906-1 with a CNC 88HS computer , Mitsubishi Freqrol-Z300-UL inverter driving a Baldor 15hp spindle motor. I switched it over from 480 v 3 phase to 230 v 3 phase at transformer T-816. Hooking up the air set to 80psi and turning the power on I get a instant error on the Mitsubishi inverter. Also at this time when I place the machine in jog mode the X and Y work, but I get a amplifier error for the Z and C axis. I found that the Z axis motor locked up and with further investigation found that the magnets came loose from the case. I glued the magnets back to the case and reinstalled the Z motor on the CNC. I'm still getting a Z axis error with the C axis error. I swapped the Y axis amplifier boards with the Z axis board and found that the amplifier board and the computer interface boards are good. When in jog mode if I move the Z axis resolver I see change on the screen. My questions will be many until I get these machine running, Does anyone have any ideas about the Z axis and C axis errors. I don't want to start buying parts if I'm not correctly doing the process right. The only manual I have on this CNC are a user manual and a installation/maintenance/adjustment manual which is vague. Any help will be much appreciated. Jerry

This is VERY common on older Fadals when they are moved more than 10 feet..LOL Your motor might be FUBAR. You may have a broken resolver. I think your best bet after knowing your cards are ok is to try a remand motor. Check these guys out for those..

http://shop.fadalcnc.com/cncpros/amazing/items.asp?CartId={DFC10864-8D93-EVEREST444F-8C2E-3A4DBEE8C5C2}&Cc=MTR%2DREMAN&Bc=

Is there any way to prevent the motors from getting damaged? Maybe removing them and transporting them separately?

My old fadal 1988 does this all the time and there is nothing wrong with it just a bit old.
    Open the back cabinets and go around tripping in all the trips you can find.Now mine is a vmc40 and there is a line of black pots with a tiny round trip in them in the rear cabinet these can be easy to miss 3 or 4 of them I think.They are less then an inch in diameter sticking out of a card.push them all as its hard to no if they have tripped out.
    When starting the old fadal you have to pull up the large power switch and then make sure you press and hold the start button above this until you here a click.Doesent always boot up first time somtimes I have to do it on mine two or three times.
    We have a range of Fadals from 1988-98 upto the 8030 size.I have always found them reliable honest cncs that rarely cause trouble although my 88 machine is now well wornout.
    Hope This helps.
    Ciaran

VMC4020HT up and running

I replaced the "Z" motor with a rebuilt one and that corrected the "Z" fault. With the "C" or spindle problem, I found the inverter has 2 cooling fans and one of them was stuck, in which a heat sink would over temp and shut the "C" down. I had to buy a parameter module that plugs into the inverter to read the error code and was able to track the problem down.

Fadal air,lube and spindle error when starting "auto"

I have a Fadal with an 88 control. When I start "Auto", I get the warning error. The low oil level works and the oiler is working. I have 85 lbs of air pressure. However I don't know where to find the spindle lube switch as I have almost no documentation.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

Spindle Lube

My documentation for a VMC4020 in the maintenance section states, All VMC-20's and machines from 1992 to current will not have a spindle mist lubricator. If it's a old machine, oil type, "Use #5 weight extra light grade oil. ISO 15 or ISO 20 grade oil such as Mobil Velocite 8 or 10 is acceptable." Adjustments "While the spindle is running, you should see in the oil flow indicator window, 1 drop per second (not to exceed 3 drops per sec.) and 22 psi air pressure. The adjustment screw for the air pressure is located on the top of the unit. The adjustment screw for the amount of oil flow is located on the right side of the unit."

HOW MUCH YOU PAY FOR PARAMETER MODULE, OR IF I TELL YOU MY ERROR NUMBER YOU BE A BLE THE TELL ME WHAT IS THE PROBLEM IN MY MACHINE AND IT IS A MITSUBISHI INVERTER SOME TIME STOP RIGHT THE MACHINE BUT SOME TIME ALARMS THANK YOU

CALL KEVIN GERMON 316-990-7373

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Sande View Post
    I purchased a Fadal 4020HT CNC and am trying to get it working. It was sold as a working machine , but I'm finding out it not a correct statement. First of all, It's Fadal model 906-1 with a CNC 88HS computer , Mitsubishi Freqrol-Z300-UL inverter driving a Baldor 15hp spindle motor. I switched it over from 480 v 3 phase to 230 v 3 phase at transformer T-816. Hooking up the air set to 80psi and turning the power on I get a instant error on the Mitsubishi inverter. Also at this time when I place the machine in jog mode the X and Y work, but I get a amplifier error for the Z and C axis. I found that the Z axis motor locked up and with further investigation found that the magnets came loose from the case. I glued the magnets back to the case and reinstalled the Z motor on the CNC. I'm still getting a Z axis error with the C axis error. I swapped the Y axis amplifier boards with the Z axis board and found that the amplifier board and the computer interface boards are good. When in jog mode if I move the Z axis resolver I see change on the screen. My questions will be many until I get these machine running, Does anyone have any ideas about the Z axis and C axis errors. I don't want to start buying parts if I'm not correctly doing the process right. The only manual I have on this CNC are a user manual and a installation/maintenance/adjustment manual which is vague. Any help will be much appreciated. Jerry
    CALL Kevin germon 316-990-7373 [email protected]

The tachometer inside the motor may be damage; For the Inverter fault make shure has 235V going in; check the controller card for loose connections (gold connectors), also check the mechanical relays in rear cabinet.

For the spindle lub, check the F15 fuse and relay in rear cabinet..