586,075 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Retrofit experiences

Hello all,
    I've been researching the web, as well as CNC Zone, on retro fits. Ajax seems to be the most highly recommened. There are some people who seem to be extremely unhappy with Ajax, but they also seem to be few in number. What I would like to hear about is some personal experiences. Too much trouble? Tech support, good or bad? Would you do it again with Ajax? I hope for honest answers without recriminations or anger. Just info.

I am totally pleased with my Centroid/Ajax T-39 lathe system. best value of any servo based retrofit. Marc at cncsnw is a wizard at solving Centroid problems and the go to guy.

happy centroid camper
    jh

ajax Retrofit

Hello Beartrax I have a series 1 CNC BRIDGEPORT BOSS 5 retrofitted with a dos based Ajax system I have been very happy with the results very reliable and easy to program, my only gripe with the system is that it is like the old Fanuc system where you had to purchase all of the extra functions such as engraving, spindle speed control, rigid tapping, MPG for hand control,offline programing, and they are not cheap for what they are. Would I do it again yes but assess what your needs are before purchase as you may get a better deal for the extra's when purchased all together. Hope this helps i have had mine about 5 years now and have not needed backup, although I may look at transfering my conrol to a Series 1 Mk2 machine if I can find one with a blown control but good mechanically Cheers Colin.

If you are intrested in one of these let me know. I have a brand new Boss 1-6 kit that I want to sell due to a changing situation for me. I also have the mill to be retro fitted as well. I can make you a good deal.

Ajax Kit

Quote Originally Posted by puller482 View Post
    If you are intrested in one of these let me know. I have a brand new Boss 1-6 kit that I want to sell due to a changing situation for me. I also have the mill to be retro fitted as well. I can make you a good deal.
    Hello could you please tell me if this kit is still available, what options are with it the version of control board that plugs into the computer ? ISA PCI slot and finally what price you are looking at Thanks Colin

You will probably be happier with the mill retrofit kit that a lathe kit.

Do a search for "cnc lathe retrofit" on CNC zone and you can read of the/some sorror stories.

Be careful of DOS systems as Ajax may NOT be supporting them anymore. I"m pretty sure that is the case when I was talking to them about the CNC lathe package about 2 years ago.