586,111 active members*
3,513 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > My DIY Cyclone dust collector
Page 2 of 2 12
    Excellent Job

Quote Originally Posted by Swets View Post
    Hi,...

First sorry for the bad english, I do my best...

I make a Cyclone dust collector from 7 PET(?) bottles ....

and it really works very well....

movie:
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=hOi-CUx4v6U

if this in the wrong forum, move or delete it...

www.arjan-swets.com

I love the dust collector, Most of the factory made ones are way to big for my shop.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

My DIY Cyclone dust collector

Hello Swets,

very good machine and I particularly appreciate the recycling of plastic bottles.

Your English is ok, wish I had any Dutch (or even Frisian)

Does the cyclone catch fine dust? If not a paper/fabric sub micron filter would be useful to remove the particles dangerous to health especially if you cut mdf.

Regards

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by grahamweekes View Post
    Hello Swets,

very good machine and I particularly appreciate the recycling of plastic bottles.

Your English is ok, wish I had any Dutch (or even Frisian)

Does the cyclone catch fine dust? If not a paper/fabric sub micron filter would be useful to remove the particles dangerous to health especially if you cut mdf.

Regards

Graham
    If i use it, by my cnc machine, always put it outside... so it blows the very fine dust out....

but if I you use it inside, alfter a while I get very fine dust (like flour) ....

I was thinking to lead the clean air flow through a water filter . as in a water pipe..... Perhaps the fine dust remains behind in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Swets View Post

I was thinking to lead the clean air flow through a water filter . as in a water pipe..... Perhaps the fine dust remains behind in the water?
    My Brother is in Air Conditioning.. He talked to me about "Oil" filtration. I guess its different from water in that it doesnt evaporate or get moisture where it isnt wanted, but the same in that your running the incoming air (to be filtered) into the oil, and allowing it to bubble in the oil.

Never the less, Why not make a huge canvas (or Duck Cloth) bag and run the exhaust into the bag? I think it will catch that last bit?

Any chance of you doing a few design drawings to help us to build our own, it was most impressive.....

Wow that looks fantastic! I am very tempted to try and build something similar. I wonder, if the bottles are plastic, have you had any problems with them caving in under the vacuum pressure - especially for example when you block the end of the hose?
    Nice work, thanks for sharing!

Oil Bath Air filtration

Hi Swets. Very good design.
    I have tried to glue together fittings to these buckets but they always fall apart. What glue did you use on the lid for the dust collector at the bottom to get a good seal?

Also a suggestion for your final stage filtration. An old Series 2 or 3 landrover oil bath air filter. They drew the air down a centre tube into an oil bath that then gurgled up through stainless steel wool. The wool was always wet with oil and trapped dust. It was easily washed with petrol or a solvent and more old oil could be used in the bath. A search on ebay found a few..
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/LANDROVER-OIL-BATH-AIR-FILTER-FROM-SERIES-1-2ltr-DIESEL_W0QQitemZ330407247382QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4cedce7e16
    Maybe a car scrap yard would also have one.
    I had one on my old land rover and they work great. Also the flow through them would be suitable for this application.

nice work
    www.yorklaser.com
    [email protected]

Wink cyclone

OK so I built one and finally got round to putting up some of the detail...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyclonic filtration.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	110914

The cyclone elements are done and functional, but I am building it into a little extractor system that will eventually be super quiet and filter the air completely to hepa standards (and also retain the option of venting outside).
    I have put loads of build photos and instructions up here.

Really good, well done.
    The message that pops up about bigger particles is interesting, can you explain more please?

Thanks fisherman,

Yeah, so some of the bigger bits that are sucked up, depending upon their densities, will fly around a bit more before going down. Consistent sawdust from my bandsaw, router, and circular saw - wizz down in a predictable spiral line. Cyclones are generally only optimised for a certain range of particle size and density. Strange things - like if I suck up a scrupled up tissue or something - don't follow the same path.

The cyclone I made is based on a 1.64 cone length ratio, and a Bill Pentz inlet angle, which has been shown to be excellent for fine dust separation. This is primarily what I was after, and as it happens big things like this go down eventually anyway, so all good...

Firstly, thanks for the extra explanation, I find that to quite interesting about the different sized particles, I suspect it may have more to do with their mass than anything else.

As I can't see exactly inside the plastic bottle (?), I have to ask, do you have any angled guide vanes inside? The reason I ask is that a vacuum cleaner I had, had just that, almost like a giant internal "screw thread", to guide the particles lower.....but only in say the top 20%.....

Certainly you have done a really brilliant job and I congratulate you and thank you also for letting us see the videos etc..

Best regards

Andy

Glad you found it interesting.

As I can't see exactly inside the plastic bottle (?), I have to ask, do you have any angled guide vanes inside? The reason I ask is that a vacuum cleaner I had, had just that, almost like a giant internal "screw thread", to guide the particles lower.....but only in say the top 20%.....
    Yep sorry the vid is not that detailed. I believe you are describing what I call the 'air ramp'. If you want to see the insides have a look through the other steps (steps 2 and 3 have the air ramp fabrication and placement), there are plenty of photos and some explanation.
    Bongodrummer - www.FloweringElbow.org

Quote Originally Posted by der_fisherman View Post
    Firstly, thanks for the extra explanation, I find that to quite interesting about the different sized particles, I suspect it may have more to do with their mass than anything else.
    That's my understanding. The speed of the rotating airflow largely depends on the size of the cyclone - from what I understand, larger = slower.

Cyclones operate by spinning the airflow fast enough that the particles are flung out of the airflow. Larger particles generally have greater mass, smaller particles are generally of lighter mass. The lighter the particle, the faster the air must be spun to separate them.

My view is that a given cyclone is able to separate particles of a given mass, airspeed dependent, and anything heavier than that of similar size. Large, light particles are more difficult to separate than a small particle of the same mass.

Things like the Thein Separator are supposed to improve the ability of slower cyclones to separate smaller/lighter particles.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzEGyHoCOIg"]YouTube - DIY Cyclone / Eigenbau Zyklon Abscheider an TRON CNC-Frà¤se[/nomedia]

Also with bottles....

Very nice design! And you can ask to give the basis of size? Thank you, Alex.

I've already done all the details, but the need to collect the required dimensions. How to insert a photo here?

Page 2 of 2 12