586,121 active members*
3,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

software for plasma suggestions please

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes: As a complete software solution for plasma I see coreldraw -> sheetcam -> mach3 in quite a few threads. However my first confusion is: which coreldraw? I see (on amazon for example) "coreldraw graphics suite" at £38.92 next to "coreldraw x3 graphics suite" at £271.99 - some difference - I assume the former is fine for what’s needed for plasma - is that correct? I'm thinking things like: original (precise) drawing, importing and processing (silhouetting) images etc.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks

CorelDraw Graphics Suite ver 12 will work fine. The Suite has CorelDraw (vector import & editing) Corel Trace to auto-trace bitmaps to vector and PhotoPaint to use for scanning and image touchup. Has several hundred fonts and lots of vector clipart (not much is usable for CNC because of overlapping vector objects)

X3 does not add anything to the basic vector tools you need. Only thing you can say about X3 is that it works with Vista (if you lean that direction!) whereas ver 12 will not allow the service packs to be ap-plied (and you NEED them).

Thanks Tom. Anyone else use anything else they'd like to recommend? Wow it's quiet in here - does anyone use anything other than corel? - does anyone use anything at all? does anyone actually do any plasma work? As Pink Floyd sang - is there anyone out there? - talk to me people - you know you want to

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Thanks Tom. Anyone else use anything else they'd like to recommend? Wow it's quiet in here - does anyone use anything other than corel? - does anyone use anything at all? does anyone actually do any plasma work? As Pink Floyd sang - is there anyone out there? - talk to me people - you know you want to

Ian
    stirling: It's probably that this questions has been asked, and asked and re-asked and what you got was the Readers Digest version....short and sweet. I suggest you go back through some of the threads and get more in depth info. Yes, there are other options but start to climb quickly in price. Until SheetCAM came along, there were no low cost viable CAM solutions for plasma (or router). How you get the drawing done and into the CAM has lots of options. Everything from free to thousands of dollars. We have guys using Solidworks to cut with plasma simply because they already have it and know how to use it. It's 1000% overkill and you are on your own for interfacing it to your machine control.

We could go on and on but the final answer would come out the same (:-)

Arrow Software For Plasma Drawings

does anyone use anything other than corel? - does anyone actually do any plasma work?
    I use "Progecad" 2006 which is free for personal use. Donations can be made to a doctors charity fund.

Recently a 2008 version has been released & a search will take you to a download location.

This software does an excellent job for the original, precise, drawings you require, be they industrial or artistic.

Check my project log which has pictures, showing that I "actually do plasma work."(wedge)

Understood Tom. I've already taken quite some time looking for similar questions/answers but frankly havn't come up with much regards "simple" CAD suitable particularly for plasma. The point you make re: solidworks and overkill is really the reason I'm asking the question. For routing I use Rhino/RhinoCAM/Mach - but that would be a similar overkill. (Remember from earlier threads I'm looking at putting together a complete oem solution option) I'm quite happy with the CAM and gcode interpreter/motion control combo of Sheetcam and Mach - I'm also quite happy with the idea of corel - just wanted to know I wasn't missing a similarly priced peach.

Ian

Thanks Weldtutor - I'll take a look at it. - "I actually do plasma work" - my little ruse worked though didn't it - two answers in an hour (wedge) (back)

Arrow Got Me

- my little ruse worked though didn't it
    Yes, you got me!

Here is a link to the "Progecad 2008 Smart" free version.
    WT