586,693 active members*
2,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Easy multiple part method like G98 for sheetmetal??

Easy multiple part method like G98 for sheetmetal??

Hi Rodney,
    In programming parts for Amada CNC Turret punches there is a G98 code which allows you to create multiple parts in both the X and Y axis from a single part and the use of macros. I wanted to know if there is such an option with Dolphin Partmaster for doing multiple parts? It would just be less work to create the part one time with offsets from the edge and then just define the number in the X and Y axis with the distance in between each row. This kind of a program is very easy to change for a different material blank size at any time also. I have some small parts to mill and this would be faster than drawing multiples and probably make a smaller program too. Also what is the status of the posts for Amada? Thanks!
    Regards,
    Wes

I am aware of the idea of using the coordinate offsets G54,G55 etc. and then basically pasteing the program code as many times as there are offsets available and editing each successive offset to the next number(G54,G55,G56 etc), but this approach is limited by the number of available offsets. Perhaps there is a way to use subroutines etc to work around the limitations? Or perhaps a Multi-part post processor which would create the program and allow you to input the quantities in the X and Y?
    Regards,
    Wes

Wes let me look into this today, I'll get back to you shortly.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Wes,
    Yes it's very easy to do by using the repeat command, the icon looks like three kites.

You select start repeat and then your operation and finish up with end repeat.

Like a lot of extra Dolphin commands like rotary axis etc you bracket your operation with start and end commands.

Here's a screen shot of a simple part told to repeat twice in the X and twice in the Y.

And the screen shot of the start routine that places the copies at 70mm in the X and 55mm in the Y.

John S.

Hi John,
    Thanks for posting the repeat sequence method for doing multiple parts. That looks like it will be much easier to implement than the other methods I have seen or contemplated having to do. Thanks for also including the screen shots of the operation for visualization.
    Best regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

PartMaSter Level 3 Options are :-

1) Use Subroutines within DCAM, this will result in a shorter part program. The post processor would need to be configured for this and this would be chargeable.

2) Use REPEAT MACHINING, this operation can be found under the Machining Menu item on the main DCAM screen. No post modifications required. This can repeat a series of operations in X, Y and also Circular repeats.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Hi Rodney,
    Thanks for the reply regarding my options for multiple part programming. I will try the Repeat feature in DCAM for now and keep in mind the subroutines as part of the post processor if needed some time later.
    Best regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Wes that would be the best thing to do. It seems to work just fine. (Without spending)
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support