586,108 active members*
3,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 CNC with enclosure and air-blast 'cooling'
Page 1 of 3 123

X2 CNC with enclosure and air-blast 'cooling'

Just completed my mill enclosure after a couple of years running it open. I'm hoping to limit the migration of aluminium chips around my house! The main reason for the enclosure is the air blast system. I always planned to use an air line to clear the chips and got an aquarium air pump from Ebay to supply the air - this was after I read on this forum about another person using these pumps. I can't find the thread any more but thanks to whoever it was. My pump is a Hailea 70 L/min, and I got some Loc-line to direct the jet onto the cutter. Obviously this blows chips about a bit so I needed the enclosure.
    I can't recommend an air blast enough. I have been using GT-85 spray to lube my cuts (like WD-40) and this gets pretty tedious standing by the machine all the time. With the air on, I can leave it unattended and the finish I get is AT LEAST equal to before. What really surprised me is that the parts seem to be very cool, if anything below ambient temperature. I didn't expect significant cooling from the air blast, only chip clearance. It is so nice not to have to mess with flood cooling (not an option in my house), and I am beginning to think that these mills can't supply enough power to the workpiece to heat it much when the air blast is running. Add that to the chips being cleared and you get good parts with no mess. A couple of pics below, with the door on and off. You can see my air pump on the shelf at the right.

Here's a pic of my first part off the mill with the air system running. Flash really shows up the dust on the surface!

nice work, what kind of air pump is that? did you ever think about adding a mist coolant system? they don't spray alot of liquid and might help the surface finish even more.

It's a Hailea electromagnetic pump, 70L/min.
    I did think about a mist system, in fact I could modify this setup to be a mister. It's a real bonus not having to deal with any fluids at all, though.

If you ever do think you want the option of fluid, check out www.fogbuster.com. I love mine and it works GREAT!

Wade

Your setup is cutting very well indeed.
    I am using one of these pumps as well and it is worth mentioning that these pumps are very quiet compared to a compressor.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
    It's a Hailea electromagnetic pump, 70L/min.
    I did think about a mist system, in fact I could modify this setup to be a mister. It's a real bonus not having to deal with any fluids at all, though.
    Hi longRat,

Do you mind me asking what you have/had in mind for adding mist to the setup? I’m using flood and to be honest I like the idea of being able to see what I’m cutting(especially for one off parts).

Thanks for sharing the fish pump idea btw; are you happy with the amount of air flow? I suppose if more was needed a bigger pump might be available or if not two running together would be an option.

Regards,
    John

Looking good. Nice looking part too.
    I use flood myself and one property I like about it is that it keeps my steel and cast iron from rusting. Big problem here with high humidity in south Alabama.
    Lee

Nice cabinet, great looking part! Adding the chamfer to the part shows real craftsmanship. I've always used A9 cutting fluid for aluminum, but it would be nice to enclose the whole mess too.

You would really like the belt drive conversion for your mill. Virtually no noise so you can hear how your tool is cutting.... Higher speed is nice too.

Paul

Good work my man!

-Speed

Thanks for all the replies.

John: For adding mist I had thought it might be possible to inject a very small amount of fluid through an airbrush type nozzle into the coolant line, where it is mounted to the head of the mill. The fluid would have to be under pressure to do this, I had not got as far as thinking about how I'd achieve that. As for the pumps, I think I got lucky and hit an ideal flowrate at 70L/min. Pumps are available much smaller than that, and a lot bigger. If I had much more, the chips might be able to escape the enclosure and I didn't really want a roof on it. If you wanted a couple of jets, something like a 250L/min pump would work very well I'd bet. It's nice that they are continuously rated too.

Lee: Good point. Humidity is not a problem here in the UK. To be honest I am more likely to get the mill floated down the road in a freak flood. Already had some flooding round here this year.

Paul: Thanks . I am hoping to get a belt drive on there soon. Can't be bothered making one so I was just going to buy the LMS kit. I've been lucky and only destroyed one gear in the 4 years I have had the machine. That was when I forgot to bolt my vise down and it smashed a 10mm HSS 4-flute cutter too!

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

John: For adding mist I had thought it might be possible to inject a very small amount of fluid through an airbrush type nozzle into the coolant line, where it is mounted to the head of the mill. The fluid would have to be under pressure to do this, I had not got as far as thinking about how I'd achieve that. As for the pumps, I think I got lucky and hit an ideal flowrate at 70L/min. Pumps are available much smaller than that, and a lot bigger. If I had much more, the chips might be able to escape the enclosure and I didn't really want a roof on it. If you wanted a couple of jets, something like a 250L/min pump would work very well I'd bet. It's nice that they are continuously rated too.
    Thanks for the reply; I will give it some thought.

Longrat, I'd love to try your idea but may I ask if you know 70 L/min coverts to in PSI?

Great setup you have there-
    Dave->..

It's not a quantity you can convert to pressure. It would be like saying "how many amps is equivalent to 110V?"
    This pump is designed to provide a high volume, low pressure air supply. I think the spec says it can sustain a backpressure of 3.5 PSI at 70L/min. It is not a lot, but it is the rate of air flow that gets the job done in this case.

I see, guess I'll have to try one to understand it-thanks for your time-
    Dave->..

Before you go spending any money......

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    I see, guess I'll have to try one to understand it-thanks for your time-
    Look at it this way:

You have 70 Liters/gallons that you want to move from Here to There, you have two sizes of pipes to get it done and One minute to move it.

1. 1/2" ID Pipe
    2. 1/8" ID Pipe

To get it though Pipe 1. The 70 Liters will flow though it without much pressure because of the Huge Diameter.

To get it though Pipe 2. The 70 liters will have to have lots of pressure to get it though in the same time.

He mentioned he had a pump doing Number one. You asked what pressure was #2 run at.

Two different birds, Like using 70 Liter and Imperial Pipe. LOL

Smitty

Good explanation.
    The only pressure info I can give about this set up is that the outlet pressure is certainly no more than 3.5 PSI.

Smitty, thanks for taking the time to explain it a little further but I get it. All I was basically asking was exactly what LongRat just posted. Now I'm even more confused though as I don't see how anything around 3.5 PSI is going to do much, so again, I'll have to try one to understand it.....completely-Thanks again for the help-
    Dave->..

Think Volume

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    Smitty, thanks for taking the time to explain it a little further but I get it. All I was basically asking was exactly what LongRat just posted. Now I'm even more confused though as I don't see how anything around 3.5 PSI is going to do much, so again, I'll have to try one to understand it.....completely-Thanks again for the help-
    Fretman,

Think volume at 70 L/M @ 3.5 psi is alot of air moving.

If you increase the pressure to 30 psi it may only 15L/M.

I didn't do the math so these aren't "hard" figures.

The more volume takes less pressure to get the same job done. Usally less noise as well.

Hoping that helps more.

Smitty

It does indeed, thank you-
    Dave->..

Page 1 of 3 123