586,096 active members*
3,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Rapid tool changer

Hi,

I am looking for a rapid tool changer for a Taig mill with ER16 spindle. I have found the changer from High Tech Systems but it seems like it is never going to be back in stock. Are there any other rapid changers? Thanks.

Anyone???

i think the home shop accessories will fit that machine. Once again i think it will. It is a great design.

I believe you are referring to router bit quick changers? From what I have seen the quick change adapters for router still require an allen wrench to tighten down the chuck. The one from high tech systems looks like you just snap it in place. I am looking for something like this. Maybe I overlooked the router quick changers?

Thanks, but that doesn't seem like a link to what you were talking about.

Im looking for something that does what this does: http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/rapid_changer.html

But I cant seem to find anything else but what this guy sells. The site says "restocking for jan"....

sorry what you are looking at i have always called a tooling system.

I need something that I can have a few bits setup where I can just stop the mill, snap one out and snap a new one in. The High Tech Systems device looks like it does this but are there any others? This seems like it would be a pretty common device used in milling applications.

I'm afraid that the High Tech System is probably the only one you are going to find that will fit the Taig with ER16.
    Royal Products make something similar but are for mills with R8 tooling.
    Universal Kwik-Switch and Rapid Switch is another but also use R8 or Morse Taper.
    Perhaps a few emails to them will get them busy making some new Rapid Changers.
    If they know they have a sale they might get motivated.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Yes but only if it works well. It doesn't look like it will provide very rigid tool holding. It may work OK but I would start out with a high degree of scepticism.

Phil

PS: It may be like time travel to the past. If it's possible where are they all.

Quote Originally Posted by HakBot View Post
    This seems like it would be a pretty common device used in milling applications.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Yes but only if it works well. It doesn't look like it will provide very rigid tool holding. It may work OK but I would start out with a high degree of scepticism.

Phil

PS: It may be like time travel to the past. If it's possible where are they all.
    Phil, you know this changer fits on the 3/4" - 16 spindle. The changeable units that fit into it are ER-16 collet holders.

GeneK

I have one of the Hightech systems changers in my little X-1, and I love it. Tool changes are 5s jobs and I haven't touched my drawbar in about 6 months!

I do however regularly get told how wobbly it must be - compared to the tool defelction and the flimsyness of the X-1 in general, I really don't think it's a problem. Yes, it does move the tool-tip a fair way further from the spindle bearings and swallows a bit of travel, but IMHO it's worth it.

I hope to have my 3/4 HP Super-X3 spindle running within a week or so - I had planned to keep using the rapid-changer with it, but I will be interested to see if heavy cuts with a 10mm mill are more rigid in a standard endmill holder. I also not so sure that the new ER16 tool holders are as useful for building an ATC as the old end mill holder ones - the length of the holder changes as you tighten the ER16 nut.

If I were you, I'd email High Tech Systems - I had great service from them, even before I'd committed to buy anything.

Phil, you know this changer fits on the 3/4" - 16 spindle. The changeable units that fit into it are ER-16 collet holders.
    I'm not following. There isn't much info on their site. Are you saying this will not work with the ER16?

Quote Originally Posted by HakBot View Post
    I'm not following. There isn't much info on their site. Are you saying this will not work with the ER16?
    The body that threads on to the spindle is threaded 3/4-16 and fits on my sherline standard spindle. The cone shaped tool holders are ER-16 collet holders for the actual tools. It is a great system and I love mine but it does not seem to be what you are asking for.
    I just want you to understand what you are looking at to buy.

GeneK

Ah yes, thanks gene. Their site now says "ER Taig coming soon"....I guess I'll have to wait more......

Anyone know of a replacement to the HTS rapid changer that would fit an ER taig?

I see they've changed the design, I wonder how/why they got away from the notched tool holders that prevented spinning when aligning with the ball bearings. Anyone have a new one?
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    I see they've changed the design, I wonder how/why they got away from the notched tool holders that prevented spinning when aligning with the ball bearings. Anyone have a new one?
    I have some of each type, with and without the notches. The ones with the notches are a little tricky to get them to seat. You have to insert and rotate them until they seat and let the collar drop back in place. The comment was made that the changes were made to facilitate automatic tool changers and I think they would have a problem getting the notched tool holders to seat properly. Just a guess from my observations.

GeneK

Looks a bit different than when I bought it a year or so ago.. I ended up returning the set as it had too much runout for me. (using Taig CNC) I mostly use 1/8", 1/16", and smaller cutters, with the .010" cutters I was using the runout was almost the width of the tool! For 1/8" and bigger probably not a huge problem, but it would have snapped the .010" in a second. They did swap out VERY nicely and in seconds, and the overall quality was great, hopefully I'll buy another set one of these days as long as they've taken care of the runout..

Interesting, very interesting - I have a set that's a year old - with the ER16 collets and detents, but no setscrew for holding 1/2" end mills.

I don't have much trouble manually inserting a new tool, but occasionally, while it seems to have seated, I hear the collar click down into place after I've spun up the tool. I guess the holders just slip round until the balls slot into the detents and then the collar locks fully. I have never however had a tool fall out, or a mill skew off line due to a poor manual change - but it will be interesting to see how well it works in an ATC. I guess they've changed the collar design to give an ATC more metal to grab onto - the one I have is quite slim.

I was quite shocked to see the latest prices though - I know the dollar's weakened a lot in the last year, but surely not by that much!

Page 1 of 2 12