586,069 active members*
3,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

newbie intro and question

Hi just wanted too say hi.Very newb too machining and cnc.

Looks like a great site and ill probobly be reading here alot.

Just picked up a 17-20 xmtc.Has the the DRO,Ball screws,CNC from shoptask,fastcut system.this is a 1997 model.
    And best of all believe it or not it was free.

I have the original manuals and the machine is complete andnot used very much.

My main question is what will i have too do too this machine too make it run on a modern software package like mach3 for example.

Will the contol box on the machine now work with rewiring and a new computer.or will i have too get new drivers also.

Thanks for everybodys time.Hoping too get it running and start practicing.
    been reading alot of books and internet info.Going too try some projects manually then hopfully get it running cnc.

Wow- that sounds like a great deal- If your CNC is FLASHCUT- you may need to contact them about upgrades. Shoptask switched to MachIII based systems years ago due to the odd proprietary system offerred by Flashcut. With zero invested, you could upgrade to the quadra lift version and come up with a nice machining center for very little money. I had a quadra lift unit which made me enough money to buy a new Patriot.

you will soon find out why the price was so cheap.

I got a used Quadra lift from an estate- it wasn't free, but it was a good deal for the money. Shoptask uses Nook ball screws, and I did my own conversion. They come in a lot of configurations. Ground screws are way too expensive, but you can get the select fitted rolled threads pretty reasonably. Thats what I got for mine and the lash is about 0.004". You can also get the double pre-load nuts which have zero lash, but the length costs you some table travel. If you have more than 0.004", you may have the standard nuts, but they can be upgraded by switching out the balls. Be sure to check your gib adjustments and also the screw mounts to be sure any lash isn't from some loose components.

Quote Originally Posted by rathgar View Post
    Hi just wanted too say hi.Very newb too machining and cnc.

Looks like a great site and ill probobly be reading here alot.

Just picked up a 17-20 xmtc.Has the the DRO,Ball screws,CNC from shoptask,fastcut system.this is a 1997 model.
    And best of all believe it or not it was free.

I have the original manuals and the machine is complete andnot used very much.

My main question is what will i have too do too this machine too make it run on a modern software package like mach3 for example.

Will the contol box on the machine now work with rewiring and a new computer.or will i have too get new drivers also.

Thanks for everybodys time.Hoping too get it running and start practicing.
    been reading alot of books and internet info.Going too try some projects manually then hopfully get it running cnc.
    Did you ever get the CNC portion running? What do you think of the fastcut ?