586,075 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Anybody using a MA series horizontal?

Anybody using a MA series horizontal?

I'm researching one and would like to hear any first-hand experiences. I'm probably ignorant, but to me, Okuma isn't known for horizontals...

Where using 3 MA40 and 2 MA400 all horizontal machines, they are connected to a Fastems FMS.
    What would you like to know about this machines.

We have a MA600HB with a E100 Controller, Also have a MC600HB mill that is much older but still going strong!
    What information are you after?
    Brian.

Generally, I'd like to know how the machines are performing, any maintenance issues, how old are the machines, etc. They appear to be a quality machine selling for a good bit less than their competitors and I was wanting to know how they perform and any potential problems. Anything that you can tell me would be first-hand info that I couldn't possibly get without owning and/or running one...

Thanks for the replies...

Our MA600HB performs very consistently, very few major issues, not to say that we have had none over the last two years mind you!
    We have an ongoing issue with some of the tool magazine doors not locking shut properly and causing door unlocked type of problems during program runs, not good!
    We also have had 2 spindle temperature sensors go south on us, both replaced under warranty, so no problems with that.
    We also had a cable fracture that was connecting the B axis Inductosyn system, now that was a tricky fault to diagnose! Once again covered under warranty!
    We have a 200 tool magazine with Balluff RFID tool chip ID technology, this is giving me a headache to sort out in regards to talking to external systems, works great reading and writing within the machine only!
    We also have our machine linked into a AGV served system now that makes for interesting experience!
    The only major thing that really peeves me is the total cluster f...k that Okuma made with all the "horizontal" or close to horizontal, surfaces inside the machine! Should see the way swarf builds up inside! For some reason I am allways reminding the operators to at least try and reduce the build up before it causes maintenance issues! Arrggghhh!
    Comms is very easy as we have jsut plugged in the network cable, created a user for it on the network and hey presto, we can talk to the machine! No more Serial links! Yay!
    Would love to have some of the new features from the new P200 controls that I have heard about, but alas, can not have everything all the time!
    Cheers, hope this helps.
    Brian.

Our experience with the MA series is very positive.
    Where using 3 MA40 with a U100 controller 1 MA400 with a E100 controller and a MA400 with the new P200 controller (very fast and the touchscreen works nice).
    The main problem with the machines is our pallet dimensions they are near 600 mm dia. this is even the max. size the machine can handle. So after a period of 4 years we have to replace some of the gearsboxes under the APC and some spindles because of crashes while people didn't tide up the products.
    The machines are used for massproduction (normal pallettime aprox. 20min).
    The same problem with the build up of swarf is a know issue to us.
    For the rest the machines are very reliable.
    Edwin.

MA600HB

Took delivery of our first horizontal and first Okuma last week. Had 2 day programming course last week and "on the machine" training this week after it has been commissioned. It's a big beasty to start on, a MA600HB with OSP200 control. I'll let you know how easy it is to pick up. I've just used Fanuc up untill now!

Hows you okuma working out for you?
    Have lots of sample programs if you need some

We have 3 MA-400's in use. Production shop running cast aluminum parts. Overall very happy with these. Here are a few problems that we have seen on all 3 machines.

1. Doors and Locks- The doors are large and heavy. Some issues with the Omron locking switches.

2. All 3 have had the APC drive gear assy replaced. As stated in an earlier post the pallets are right at max size and probably a little over max weight.

3. Pallet hold down studs breaking. Probably 3 per month. Easy to change and the tools come with the machine.

4. ATC door. I think the cylinder and slides are undersized.

5. Z axis shields.

Please keep in mind that due to production these machines are poorly cared for. The controls are great. (2 U100 and 1 P100)
    As a maintenance tech I find them fairly easy to work with. Of the 80 plus CNC machines we have I think these are my second favorite. First being Makino A61's.
    I have seen the OKK horizontal in action and really hope I have convinced the boss to give them a try.

Bob