586,068 active members*
3,848 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advice on which new lathe to buy

Looking to pickup a small lathe to compliment my cnc mill. Like to stay around $3000. Be doing mostly smaller aluminum (75%) -the rest mild steel. Wanted to stay with 220v-single phase so I didn't have to get a converter. Something a little better than the HF, Grizzly brands.

Thought about this Precision Matthews, http://precisionmatthews.com/PM1236Lathe.html

Some horror stories out there about the PM smaller machines.

I've went this morning and looked at this "CutMaster".
    http://69.43.61.146/FMPro?-db=wi&-fo...r=1660-N&-Find

Looks very sturdy and seems to built tight. I'm leaning towards this one because :its local, parts are stocked in Calif. (not overseas) and comes with 1 year parts warranty. since they sell about everything, I can trade it in later.Also comes with the stand. Not much out there on the 'net about these yet. I can get it - $3k out the door loaded in my truck.

I'm spoiled by my cnc mill - so gave some thought about getting something that could eventually be converted to cnc. I'm not even sure what to look for on different machines for that capability.

Thoughts & opinions wanted...

Kevin

Looks identical to the Grizzly 4003G and for essentially the exact same price (before shipping). Very similar to the Precision Matthews 12x36. Betcha the quality is no different between all three machines.

But if you don't have to pay that $475 FOB fee for the Cutmaster, then it is less expensive, and if you can pick it up locally, then you don't have to worry about Overnight or UPS dumping it on it's end, which is a definite plus. I would buy locally, given the choice between the two.

I beleive the Cut Master is a Birmingham with a different label on it. Even the model number on the headstock is similar, if not identical to Birmingham. Many of the Birmingham lathes have a model number beginning with YCL. The paint scheme looks very similar also. Maybe someone owns a Birmingham like this and can provide feedback as to the quality, performance, etc.

Brian