586,103 active members*
3,708 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Elmer's Engine Articles

Hello,

A newbie here. Signed up a few months ago. First post.

I am trying to track down the Source articles for all of the engines
    in Elmer's Engines book. Once completed, I want to make the list
    available to the forum members. I have tracked down all but three
    and just need to verify one other. All others were found in issues
    of Modeltec and Live Steam magazines between 1984 and 1990.

I still need to know what magazine and issue these three came from:
    No. 46 Comber Rotary Engine
    No. 48 Una-Flow Engine
    No. 52 Reversible Verticle Twin Wobbler

and to verify if:
    No. 33 Mill Engine was in Modeltec 84-Sep

Is it possible that Elmer wrote the above three articles for a
    magazine other than Modeltec or Live Steam?

Any help in identifying these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Millard

There is a yahoo group that is just for Elmer's Engines and they have the entire set of plans online.

Offering articles over the internet happens all the time but you should know that it is a violation of copyright law. Offering copies, whether electronic or printed, of any Live Steam article requires permission from Village Press Publications.

George Bulliss, Editor

The Home Shop Machinist
    Machinist's Workshop
    Digital Machinist

How long does a copyright last?
    The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    How long does a copyright last?

In this instance, it's a mute question. Although you should not republish the magazine articles, the book pages can be reproduced.

After Elmer's death, his widow transferred the book copyright to Dirk Tollenaar, with instructions to keep the engine plans available free to those who are looking for them.

Mr Tollenaar has agreed for me to publish the plans on my website. Most of the plans have been posted, more will be posted as time permits. They are also available on at least three other web sites.

A recent addition to my Elmer's page is a video featuring Elmer's son Ralph watching some of his engines run.

http://tomwade.me/tw/machinist/elmer/

Tom