586,060 active members*
4,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > Silly Question

Red face Silly Question

Ok I have been able to import a DXF file into CAMBAM, go though and get the outlines, generate the toolpath, and Write the G-Code to file.

Where is the G-Code file being saved and what format? I would like to be able to open it up in CutViewer to review.

Thanks

Smitty

There are no silly questions.

I copied this from CamBam website:
    CamBam currently supports opening the following files:
    # CamBam native file format (*.cb)
    # Autodesk DXF files (*.dxf)
    # 3DStudio files (*.3ds)
    # GCode files (*.tap,*.nc)

Do a harddrive search for .tap and .nc files or search for new files and see what directories pop up.

Good luck,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

Well I've been meaning to try CamBam out, so I downloaded and installed. I created a .dxf file and opened it in CB (CamBam), selected a profile cut, generated tool path, created a gcode file, typed a name in the dialog box that I wanted to call the gcode file.

I did search of my hard drive for .tap extensions.... nothin'
    Did search of my hard drive for .nc extensions....... nothin'
    Did search of my hard drive for the name that I gave it when I generated the gcode.... There it was in the same directory that the .dxf file was that I opened in CB

CB doesn't automatically add the .tap or .nc entension.........

So look in the same directory as the DXF file that you opened in CB

Hope this helps some,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

Hi guys,

Sorry for the confusion. File Save As will save the drawing file only.

To generate gcode, use the CAM->Generate Gcode File menu option, or right click on machining on the tree in the left and select 'Create GCode File'.
    This should prompt you for the location and name of the gcode file.

You can also right click on individual machine operations in the tree and select 'Create GCode File'. This will create a gcode file for just that one machine operation.

I hope this helps!

edit: Reading again, no CamBam does not automatically append an extension to gcode filename. It may suggest a default name with a .nc extension but you can overwrite this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 10bulls View Post
    Hi guys,

Sorry for the confusion. File Save As will save the drawing file only.

To generate gcode, use the CAM->Generate Gcode File menu option, or right click on machining on the tree in the left and select 'Create GCode File'.
    This should prompt you for the location and name of the gcode file.

You can also right click on individual machine operations in the tree and select 'Create GCode File'. This will create a gcode file for just that one machine operation.

I hope this helps!

edit: Reading again, no CamBam does not automatically append an extension to gcode filename. It may suggest a default name with a .nc extension but you can overwrite this.
    I have been right clicking on the machining tree, and it says overwrite existing file? Than I can't find the file?

I'm aware it could be me though.

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty911 View Post
    I have been right clicking on the machining tree, and it says overwrite existing file? Than I can't find the file?
    Once you have created a gcode file, the filename is stored in the OutFile property under the machining group in the tree. The next time you generate the gcode file, it checks if that file already exists and asks whether you wish to overwrite. If you reply 'No' you will be prompted to enter a new filename.

Have a look at the OutFile machining property and see if this is the file you are expecting to find. If you still can't find that file, do you have file extension being hidden in windows?

Good Luck!