587,003 active members*
2,502 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco BMC30 tool change problem.

Hurco BMC30 tool change problem.

Hello all,
    I own a Hurco BMC30 from 1997. When attempting a tool change the operation stops when the drawbar releases the tool after the carousel has grabbed the tool. The machine then states SERVO FAULT SPINDLE READY.

The machine then needs to have its servos reset and manually back the carousel away from the spindle. The Hurco serviceman and myself have been over the machine thoroughly checking all limit switches and spindle orientation but to no avail. The machine can be run through each individual move of a tool change in the machine diagnostics screen and is rigid tapping and boring succesfully.

What i need to mention is this machine was stripped apart for transport before being reassembled in my facility. The wiring diagram has not been much help.

Does anybody out there understand the logic of this machine and what part of the machine is looking at the drawbar during release; and how it is tied into the tool change cycle? A bit run of a run on description but I hope you get the idea. Any suggestions welcome as i currently act as the tool changer and am tired of it.

Thankyou for your time,
    scott kolb

please checked the valve,may short ur problem.

open the head cover. above the spindle is the knock-out cylinder that pushes done on the drawbar to release the tool. on the left side of the cylinder is a bracket with two microswitches. the top switch is spindle clamped. the bottom switch is spindle unclamped. if the unclamp switch is not working properly when the tool unclamps, the control will timeout and fault. typically this will put up an unclamp error, but not always. check both switches. you could also have a toolchanger misalignment or spindle tool change height problem. these could both be pushing the spindle out of orient position and fault the spindle drive. the actual spindle orient position could be off and when the tool enters the key in the tool changer, this could push the spindle out of orient position, causing the error. does the error only occur when the tool is being taken out of the spindle, or does it also happen when the tool is being put into the spindle? ron

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the great suggestions, in response:

-Air valves all working properly

-The limit switches at the drawbar both seem to work as I can manually run the drawbar. Meaning at the controler in ATC diagnostics, i utilize the "unclamp drawbar" action which unclamps the drawbar and the control reads "unclamped" while remaining in the unclamped position until i toggle it back to the clamped position.

-toolchanger alignment and spindle tool change height were set by myself and then checked by a Hurco service person. When i manually run through the tool change process in ATC diagnostics, everything works fine and there are no errors.

-To Clarify: After the magazine swings right and grabs the tool, the drawbar then releases but fails when the unclamped limit switch gets touched by the bar that actuates it. It is at this point that Z should move to zero to get away from the tool and allow the carousel to rotate to the next tool. The drawbar then defaults to clamped position as the machine has shut down servos and states "Servo fault- spindle ready"
    Does that make sense?
    Thanks
    scott

97 BMC30 Tool changer height adjust

I also have a 97 BMC30M, and I cannot get the tool changer height adjustment to work. I am using the "secret code" enter,1,0,1,enter, and also someone suggested enter,4,8,8,enter, but neither works. Should I do a physical encoder adjust on this machine ? It is an Ultimax 3....

As usual, there is probably something simple I am missing. I tell the machine it has tool 0, go into ATC Diagnostics, open door, magazine right, then enter the magic numbers, but nothing changes. I try to lower the Z axis down, but the machine reduces the feed and I get nowhere....

George P.
    509-230-9219

Check the tool door switches are set correctly and don't momentarily lose their signal during the toolchange.

Tool door switches?

Where are the tool door switches located?

Not sure I understand. I have the carousel ATC, and I see a cyclinder on top of the cover.....