586,119 active members*
3,699 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Help! with Feeds and speeds please!

Help! with Feeds and speeds please!

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help you might have.
    Regardless of what I enter in my MOPs (VM out of Rhino) my feed rate is 20 in my G Code. There is a way to load feeds and speeds but the default profiles are all for metal work and I am running a wood router table. There are instructions for writing loadable profiles, but I don't understand all the parameters. Anybody have a clue on this out there?

Any help much appreciated!!!!

Sjotime!

Questions: RhinoCAM or Visual Mill? (since you said out of Rhino, it isn't clear). If VM, which version?

You tried changing the feeds in the feed/speed panel (button in the MOps section of the browser) and it doesn't do anything? What about spindle speed?

If none of that works, it could be that your post has these things hard coded in it (that would surprise me, though) or something else is wrong somewhere.

The feeds and speeds table is not very sophisticated in VM, there is a simple text file called FEEDSSPEEDS in the Data folder in the VM/RhinoCAM root directory, you can edit it with a text editor. You will need to add lines for whatever type of material you use, and create some initial values to test (or get some data from your cutter manufacturer). --ch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FeedDialog.gif  

Thanks for the response to FS questions

chmillman,

First, thank you! Appreciate you taking the time.

Second, regardless of what I enter for feeds and speeds in the interface you reference, my G code has F20.

Any other thoughts?

My cutter manufacturer is a friend who built this machine then didn't have time to use it. 5' x 10' (1.75 x 3.3+-m) cutting area with a 2 HP router (12000-30000 rpm). This is a CNC router, not mill. I don't have any idea what appropriate feeds and speeds are for MDF and birch ply, the two materials I will probably cut the most, but I haven't searched for them either. I will track that down and put it in the FS file you mention. If you know appropriate f and s I would be grateful for the info.

Thanks again!

Dan

OK, in that case, I suspect it's your postprocessor that is at fault. Can you attach the postprocessor file you are using (it has a .spm extension and is located in the "Posts" folder in your installation). I'll have a look. Otherwise, you might also check out the support forum at www.mecsoft.com. --ch