586,106 active members*
3,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Slow spindle spin-up on Super X3

Slow spindle spin-up on Super X3

I've recently got a Super X3 conversion from Syil UK, and the machine is mostly working fine. Had a little problem getting the home/limit switch settings right in Mach 3, but no drama. Am very happy with the machine !

My query concerns the slowness with which the spindle spins up when under Mach 3 control. Under manual control, the spindle gets up to top speed in under 5 secs, whereas when the PC controls it, it takes about 30 sec. There's a similar difference in spin-down rates too. I've adjusted the dwell settings in Mach3, to ensure the correct spindle speed before starting my cuts, but I guess I'm just impatient !

Anyone else had this issue ?

Cheers,

Chris

Slow spin up

Hi,
    30 seconds, does seem slow. There are several settings in Mach, that may affect this (the acceleration in the motor control section, and if it pays any attention to the servo function, possibly the 'P' term in the PID), also the delays. On mine, it is faster than this, but still takes about 15 seconds under PC control. There is obviously significant damping on this (presumably in the board, to ensure that the unit doesn't 'hunt', if a slow PWM frequency is being used). Try turning up the acceleration. Though It'll still be slower than manual, I think this may be limiting the change rate you are seeing.

Best Wishes

Could you post a screen shot of your screen where you find this setting? Also, could you tell us what speed your Mach3 kernel is at?

Thanks,
    Wade