586,599 active members*
3,753 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Just had my tm-3 setup and I am LOST!
Page 1 of 2 12

Just had my tm-3 setup and I am LOST!

OK. I have worked in a machine shop for over 20 years. I am good with computers and assumed this would be a simple transition. This is kicking my butt!! I got the WIPS have figured out how to set x and y work offsets, but the Z axis is never right whenever I try simple intuitive programs. I just want to write the number 3 in a pc of aluminum.....thats all! When I hit cycle start, it grabs the ball endmill, goes to the center of the work pc, but the tool is 4+ inches above the surface. How do I set Z0 at the top of the aluminum?!?

Next, the warm up program. I try to run it and it tells me I am in the wrong mode. What keys do I have to hit to run the damn warmup program?!?

Finally, the spindle probe. I used it all day yesterday, playing around, running the automatic (Intuitive Programming) programs for touching off. I loved the one for a raised square boss (the one I used for my aluminum that was supposed to get a 3 egraved on it) and I it worked beautifully all day. Today, I ran the exact same probe subroutine because I moved the aluminum in the vice and instead of going down in Z to find the top of the part, it never stopped going down in Z. CRUNCH!!!! The spindle probe didn't remotely turn on and there goes my new 6mm ruby ball!!! Has anyone ever seen this or know what could have caused it? We were welding aluminum in the shop and I am wondering if the high frequency caused it.

Can anyone please help me get started? So far it has been like getting kicked in the shins. I just need a little help getting the ball rolling. Thanks in advance.

080213-1727 EST USA

Just a quick note.

Assuming you are in either HAAS or Fanuc mode, and that the work coordinate system is G54, I believe it will be this by default on newer machines, then on the offset page and for G54 there is a Z value that controls your Z 0 position.

However, this is inter-related with tool length in the offset page, and the G52 Z value.

WIPS

Hi 61SedanMan,

I just sent you a private message.

I made some notes on probing with the WIPS system that may be helpful. I would be glad to share them.

John

i can help you.....Probably walk you through it..

UPDATE TO MY WOES

I appreciate all of the offers for help. I will be taking some of you up on your offers, but first let me give everyone an update to the story. I received a call at work today from a (I assume my) Haas factory outlet. They were referring to this post! They had put together this story along with the phone call I had placed to service over the probe malfunction (or mal-button on my part....who knows!) and offered to send a technician by to go over the controls with me and get me over the hump. Hows that for service!?! That is why you buy American!

John, Tony.....I will be in touch.

Haas Factory Outlet......Thank you immensely!

Way to go HFO!

Buy America

61SedanMan,

I know what you mean. My local HAAS Factory Outlet has been really nice to me and offered help any time I called them. Mike the technician that did the install on my machine was SUPER. He said he would not leave until I was completely satisfied.

Yes, Buy America. The job you save may be your own.

John

That's a great story to hear. My machine had a couple of unusual hiccups on delivery and my HFO (Selway) figured it out for me. I ended up happy too. It is comforting to see the strong customer service focus. Maxi

Thanks for the kind reply 61Sedanman.

We are here to help. We need to stick together and keep American manufacturing alive or we will get our butts kicked.

If you ever need anything give me a call.

Loose Nut

we are here to help

I am the AE from hfo anaheim I read here weekly or daily any help you need thats what we are here for when you decide to get fancy with the probe and need some help let me know lately I have been using the probe to do in process inspection later Bob A HFO Anaheim

Ok. Here is an update from today's visit from a different HFO technician. Would you believe he beat me to work?!? I actually made chips today that weren't ruby! Let me give you a rundown on todays activities.

First off, I was trying to run the spindle warm up program in the wrong mode. The laminated quick start guide Haas includes in the control notebook that comes with the machine doesn't mention the part about being in MEM mode to run programs.

Secondly, I had setup the spindle probe as one tool number and then tried to run it from another. I hadn't filled the tool magazine and being afraid really to leave it (the probe) in the magazine, I had taken it out and tried to run the part probe subroutine with it loaded in a different tool number. The offsets were, obviously, saved under the tool number I calibrated the machine with. Makes perfect sense in retrospect, but there is no way I could have guessed that and it was only explained to me by today's technician. I still think that it should have cut the probe on and the machine fault out or stop when it touched in z, but I can see where offsets could have confused the subroutine. Anyway, problem solved. And I quit using intuitive and started using the VQC probing and cutting subroutines. MUCH BETTER!!!

I was able to write my name (Greg) 3 times in 3 scales, cut a slot and drill and tap 5 1/4-20 holes!!!! I know this is elementary to most of you, but the point is that I was able to set the top of my aluminum as Z0!!!! I now understand how to compile, test and execute VQC template subroutines!!!

One problem I did notice with the pre-programed templates is that if you are cutting a rectangular pocket there is no 'peck-plunge', if you will, on the z depth before you get to full depth (ie. if it is a 1.5" deep pocket, you should take that in several steps). I wonder if there is a VQC template for that already? I see a forum here that I will have to check out on VQC.

Anyway, thanks again for the overwhelming support to get a 'green-bean' over his hump. Cheers!

I'm not sure if you knew this or not but I learned the hard way. :withstupi

I too doinked the probe tip the first night with my VF-2. I was getting used to using the handwheel to select menus. I had jumped to a different mode and thought Hand Jog had deactivated. It didn't. I got to the menus, spun the handwheel and 'crack'. :withstupi

Anyway, on to the point: I was looking through the McMaster Carr website and discovered that they sell replacement (non-Renishaw) ruby tips for a whole heck-of-a lot less than Renishaw. I paid over $100 from the HFO but the one in McMaster is under $40.

Of course that's worthless knowledge now. Unless something goes wrong in the machine, I'll never need to buy another one.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    I'm not sure if you knew this or not but I learned the hard way. :withstupi

I too doinked the probe tip the first night with my VF-2. I was getting used to using the handwheel to select menus. I had jumped to a different mode and thought Hand Jog had deactivated. It didn't. I got to the menus, spun the handwheel and 'crack'. :withstupi

Anyway, on to the point: I was looking through the McMaster Carr website and discovered that they sell replacement (non-Renishaw) ruby tips for a whole heck-of-a lot less than Renishaw. I paid over $100 from the HFO but the one in McMaster is under $40.

Of course that's worthless knowledge now. Unless something goes wrong in the machine, I'll never need to buy another one.

What is the McMaster Carr #?

Loose Nut

I don't have the exact dimensions with me to match up the exact part number but they're all on the same page as the edge finders and presetters: Page 2228 of the current online catalog.

Just go to their website and search for "probe stylus" or "renishaw stylus" and you'll find them.

Upon reviewing that page, it looks like they might actually be genuine Renishaw probes...for less than half of the HFO price.
    Greg

Thanks Greg

Loose Nut

Renishaw Stylus

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the link to McMaster Carr.

I just looked at the box my Renishaw Stylus came in and the part number is
    A-5000-3709-RC/NP. This Stylus has a fiberglas shaft with a Ruby tip. I am not sure about the mounting thread as it is already installed and calibrated and I don't want to remove it unless it becomes necessary.

I have attached a copy of some information I got from the Renishaw site. Apparently the shaft is made of fiberglas to allow it to break in case of a crash to (help) prevent any damage to the probe.

I didn't see the above referenced Stylus number listed on the McMaster Carr book on page 2228.

It apprears??? that the ones listed are of all steel construction and may?? be for a different style and application Renishaw Probe as they make many different models. It would probably be worth a call to Mc Master Carr and see if they can get the above referenced part number at hopefully a price less than the $100.00 at HAAS.

Just something I noticed at looking at the link.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails renishaw Stylus.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

MSC has the probes also. http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm?KNC-T7L391316886
    At the $100 and below mark.
    I think the probe is made of ceramic and would guess that is for thermal stability. They break easy too!

Nice tip on McMaster.

Did running the Z only macro fix your Z problem?

That's good advice. I hadn't considered the break-away feature. I guess that needs to be looked into more carefully. As I wrote though: I'll probably never break another one now that I know where to buy them.
    Greg

The shaft is ceramic, I think it is as a built in crash protection, as the shaft should break before the probe unit does!!!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Correction

I said:

I just looked at the box my Renishaw Stylus came in and the part number is
    A-5000-3709-RC/NP. This Stylus has a fiberglas shaft with a Ruby tip.
    I believe you guys are correct in saying that the probe has a ceramic shaft.

John

Page 1 of 2 12