586,116 active members*
3,458 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF 2 phase convertor?

Wondering what phase convertor to purchase to power up A VF2 20 hp 7500 RPM machine?I am debating on putting this machine in my shop, which has 3 phase or my pole barn at home,which has single phase.What kind of full amperage it would draw?Thanks Chris

I'd say to go for a 30 HP phase converter so you have some headroom. It'll take an 80 amp, single-phase 220V circuit to run the phase converter and the VF-2. Make sure you use generous wire if you're running it out to a barn.
    Greg

I have three phase perfects in my shop. Two twenty hp and a ten hp.
    My Daewoo lathe is an honest 20 hp. It runs fine on a twenty hp phase perfect.

I have a 40hp rotary phase converter that I will sell. I used it on my VF2 before I moved to a new location( about 6 months ). This worked perfect in this application.I will take $1200.00 obo. Email me if you are interested. Terry

[email protected]

Check out an inverter instead,same price as a rotary inverter and costs less too run. Also it is easier to install and doesn't make as much noise.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishmeister View Post
    Check out an inverter instead,same price as a rotary inverter and costs less too run. Also it is easier to install and doesn't make as much noise.
    I don't know where you've been shopping but either you know a really cheap source for inverters or you were quoted wayyyy too much for a Rotary Phase Converter. My 30 HP RPC was under $1500, delivered to my door. I can't find inverters in that power range for anything less than $3000.

Where did you find inverters for less than that?

Of course, there are also engineering issues. An inverter must do with capacitors, what the RPC does with giant generating coils and the mass of the armature. My RPC audibly shudders whenever the VF-2 starts up after a tool change (simultaneous: 3-axis rapid, spindle and coolant start). I can't imagine how many capacitors it would take to supply that current.
    Greg

Thanks for the info guys,It might be best to put it at the shop.The barn is on A 125 amp breaker,off the house.I could power the machine ,but thats about it,i wanted to let the machine run while I worked on the prototrak,dont think thats going to happen.Thanks Chris

Actually how powerfull are the toolroom mills.If you had to cut A pocket 4.5 inches wide 19 inches long,1.8 deep in 6061 would it be A problem,and what if I said I had to do that 20 times A month,that would be the bulk of my machining.I know its not A VF2, but looks like A good Machine,I cant find any videos of anyone using the TM series,trying to make heavy cuts,even on Hass website theres no demo.TM owners think I am crazy?Thanks Chris

Well, don't let us discourage you. 125 amps might be fine. What does the Protrak draw? How heavy are you going to use both machines? It's not like the VF-2 is going to hog 80 amps the whole time it's running.

It's all about load and duty cycle. If you're doing aluminum with small (under 0.75") tooling or skimming along, polishing surfaces at 30% spindle load and fair feed rates, you're only going to be using 30-50 amps.

I don't think you're going to get away with pushing 2" mills through steel all day and then try to run the Protrak on the same line. Just sayin'
    Greg

I have a 125 amp panel in my shop/garage. I was running my fadal (before I sold it) and my vf2 with a 80 amp breaker using a phase a matic rpc (20hp) with no problems. I might be wrong but I think the breaker in the back of the vf2 is a 40amp breaker.

Everyone here was very helpful (especially donkey hotey who I pmed a million times)I was super stressed but everything worked out great.

Mark

I have posted these comments before but they get lost.

The biggest current draw on the machine is during spindle acceleration to top speed. Rarely, if ever, will you pull the same current when cutting...unless you stall the cutter and drive both the spindle and servo into overload.

It is possible to reduce the current draw during acceleration:

Parameter 196 ACCELL LIMIT LOAD controls the maximum spindle acceleration in percent load and is set at 195% out of the factory, this can be reduced to whatever you want; reducing it to 120% hardly changes the time it takes for the spindle to come up to speed.

Parameter 209 Common Switch 2 has an entry called SPNDL NOWAIT. When this is 1 and your program has a Rapid (G00) move on the line after the M03 or M04 command the machine will start the spindle and then immediately do the rapid move so both spindle and servo(s) are at full load at the same time. If your rapid move is using all three axes this can dramatically boost the current draw at start up; changing this bit to 0 means the machine waits for the spindle to reach speed before moving the axes. This will increase the chip-to-chip time for tool changes, especially when running the spindle at top speed, I measured a difference of about 1.5 seconds on a SuperMiniMill. Not much but if you have 10 tool changes per part it adds up.

You can also write the program to do the rapid move first then start the spindle but I don't like this approach. If you make a boo boo and crash a stationary spindle into a vise or something really solid you may toast the spindle bearings; if the spindle is spinning when it hits it is much less likely to damage the bearings.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I run a vf2 off of a PHASE PERFECT 20 hp, I have owned several rotary phase converters but there is no comparison, my whole shop runs off of 100 amp breaker and I have never tripped it even with heavy cuts.

Buy the phase perfect you will be glad you did!!!

Joe

I was told by PP, that I could run two machines VF 3 and VF2 off of one PP 30 HP. Is this true? I gave the info to them and thats what they wrote me. I would figure I would need two 20 HP converters.

at shop

Well before I invest in A convertor(which it looks like the digital is the way to go)I am going to put the machine at my shop.The main reason is we build cars ,and the place can get real dusty and dirty,and Its nice to be able to work out of the house couple days A week little change of scenery.I am going to probe the amperage draw on the compressor,lights,and prototrak,and Evaluate where I stand on the phase convertor option.It also looks like the phase perfect runs around $4200 and with Haas promo the 10 k spindle is only $3400 Id rather buy that for now,and keep the dust down to A minimum at the shop.Thanks Guys for all the feedback.

There is a promo for a 10,000 RPM spindle?

I was doing some research, and found that if you buy the SS series VF2, you can save a little money if you wanted the higher RPM spindle. It comes with a 12000RPM spindle along with the Sidemount tool changer and higher rapids for less money than if you bought the regular VF2 with the same options. I'm thinking about either just buying something like a mori used, or waiting until a better deal comes around from haas in a couple months. It seems like the economy isn't getting much better, so I believe they will want to sell some and do some kind of promotion soon.

March

Talk to your local salesperson,someone on here allready said something ,its pre westec.If you have any more question you can pm me.Thanks Chris