586,121 active members*
3,121 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

software for testing servos?

I just got my geckos up and running and the servos are energized. So I started firing up some of the evaluation demos, like mach2 etc to get the servos to start doing their thing and found out that they wont work unless you buy it.
    So before I buy software, is there anything that I can download that will atleast let me send a test signal to the servos to confirm they work?

I think Mach2 will drive your servos in trial mode but is limited to 100 lines of code.

Are you sure that Mach2 is configured properly?

Configuration can take a bit of mucking around.
    Being outside the square !!!

Well im not sure if it is configured correctly, im just starting to explore the program. I put in 6 lines of g code and it gave a message no run in demo mode or something to that effect.
    I also tried alt j to jog and got no movement.
    I guess I need to learn the program prior to anything else, I just hoped I could get some instant results prior to sitting down with a software package instruction manual.

try turbocnc

but mach1-2 does work upto 1000 lines in demo unless its config wrong

Replicapro I could send you screen shots of my Mach2 setup or better yet if you want give me a quick call on the phone, send email to [email protected] and I'll give you my phone number. One quick caution, the default motor tuning values assume setup units are in milimeters not inches e.g. the default values for velocity and acceleration were way too high for my servo's. For example acceleration default is like 61.75 yet a middle of the road acceleration setting for my servos is 2, thats a huge diff.

cncplastic aka metdetect (before I forgot my password)

Quote Originally Posted by CNCPlastic
    Replicapro I could send you screen shots of my Mach2 setup or better yet if you want give me a quick call on the phone, send email to
    If you are using geckos like Rep... you can just upload the .xml document that relates to your set up. he can just put that into the mach2 folder and he will then have all your settings. Saves having to load them manually.

I would upload mine except mine is done for Rutex cards
    Being outside the square !!!

email sent thank you

Check your Port Driver

I'm new to Mach1 and found out that, on my XP machine, I had to manually load the driver before any signals reached my control board. Now I can move my motors around and tune them.

Good luck,

Marcos (elalto)

how do you manually load the drivers

The directions state that immediatly after you install Mach2 e.g. before you run the program for the first time you need to reboot else you may suffer the driver issue. The instructions tell you how to deal with that situation should it be a problem. There is also some kind of driver test program you can run in the mach2 folder.

Well I'm off to buy some steel and a welder and see if I can't build a pressure tank without it blowing up and sending a coil mold flying across the shop.

I hope you're joking! A pressure tank is *not* a perfect welding excersise. Visit a truck graveyard and ask them for a brake air tank. Pressurized air vessels can be dangerous if they burst.

Unfortunately I'm not, no guts no glory as they say. I need a pressure tank of a size that a 20x20x6 inch mold can be slid in, then pressurized to 60psi. I'm shooting for 24x24x6. I have a safety relief valve rated right at 60psi, a 100psi guage, etc. They make those 4 gallon pancake tanks out of 12 guage steel, I'm planning to use 10 guage welded to an inner steel frame.