586,067 active members*
5,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Info on Johnford CNC Machines

Hello. Two questions. I'm fairly new to machining, only about 8 months under my belt. First, do machine manufacturers generally offer way protection solutions? The company I work for turns rolled rings that still have scale on them from the mill. I'm wondering if the slide covers would provide adequate protection from the scale particles or if it would be better to just buy a new boring mill instead of a lathe. Second, Has anyone used Johnford or You JI CNC Machines? If you could provide me with insight regarding either company or another you'd recommend, I'd appreciate it. We're talking 32" - 63" chuck sizes though. We don't turn small pieces on a regular basis. Thanks.

JS

They are a value priced machine (Junkford) with very good support (Absolute Machine Tools). I've seen lots and lots and lots of different machines in the field doing all kinds of different work, and machine to machine, the Johnfords seem to be less ridgid and capable than a similar sized Mori Seiki, etc. There is a shop in my area who uses ALL Johnford lathes, bridge mills, vmc's. They've gone thru 3 CAT50 spindles on a 2.5 year old bridge mill, and blow belts on their lathes on a regular basis, to the point where they keep spares in stock. Fit and finish isn't quite all there, and just general "beefiness". In machine tools, you generally get what you pay for....but sometimes you can only pay for so much. You could do far, far, far worse, they work well when they work...and they have excellent support.

HA! Junkford. 'nuf said!

Our customers experience the exact same things as stated here. I have paid my rent for the past year working on them.

Thanks to Johnford I live very comfortably!

We ave a Johnford bridge mill with only 2100 hours and is having spindle problems. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Have a Johnford SV-41 with coolent problems. Will work through spindle and on flushing in the tank, but not on the attached hoses off to the side of the spindle. Sometimes in the morning when it has been sitting overnight, it will work but if I shut it off for any reason it stops all together. Any solutions?

Speeds and Feeds. Using a 3" Carbide Insert Cutter. Have to open a hole up 1.5"- 7 " deep. What feed rate should I use and speed for that cutter? It's 4140 material.

I ran CNC drilling machines for a while. Matsuura and Johnford. Mats were superior to the Junkford hands down

Re: Info on Johnford CNC Machines

I have a VMC Johnford model VMC-1124A Serial VD6159,we have some problems with high speed, only works at low under 999 rpm and there is one poquet down and it can't let running the machine, also I don't have the information about the machine, if ther is someone who can help me I will appreciate it.
    Thank you in advanced.