586,104 active members*
3,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cutting machines

Just been thinking wouldnt it be great to have a laser.

Ive been hearing good things about hklasers and ive been chatting to the staff on msn, and I am being told their larger lasers dont even cut perspex greater than 7mm.

Now where are the lasers that cut aluminium ect?

Was looking to build some roller pinions and gears, for linear motion but require 100% accuracy with which I thought the lasers would be able to do.

What lasers actually cut stuff? the lasers at hklasers seem to be just engravers for what I want to cut.

What do you guys normally use them for?

Question

Hi, if you wanna have a laser, why not take us into consideraion? I think there must be one model suitable for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SM-1225.jpg   SM-1280.jpg  

what sort of thickness are we talking here? And also, what about avilable space and budget?

If you want to cut metal (not just etch), you need to be looking at YAG lasers, not CO2.
    Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Aluminium and copper are probably the hardest stuff to cut with a laser in the CO2 class as they just reflect most of the beam back. A laser machine in about the 3K-4K Watt range will cut 1 1/2" to 2" steel (correct me on this) but only cut about 5/8" aluminium plate if that.
    The mirrors on my 35 watt laser to bend the beam around to where I want it are Aliminium so as you can see you probably won't be able to afford one in the class you want.
    Unless you are rich and REALLY want one.
    Rich.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

How would it work if you were to blacken the aluminum before cutting with the laser? Or, scuff the surface with sand paper? I'm not really rich but would like to be able to laser cut aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by MonoNeuron View Post
    Aluminium and copper are probably the hardest stuff to cut with a laser in the CO2 class as they just reflect most of the beam back. A laser machine in about the 3K-4K Watt range will cut 1 1/2" to 2" steel (correct me on this) but only cut about 5/8" aluminium plate if that.
    The mirrors on my 35 watt laser to bend the beam around to where I want it are Aliminium so as you can see you probably won't be able to afford one in the class you want.
    Unless you are rich and REALLY want one.
    Rich.

Google Cermark (there are others)... it's a paint-on material that will allow etching of aluminum (but not cutting). If you must cut, you need YAG.

You should consider buying a waterjet cutter if you want to cut metal.

Or you could just make use of ours: http://www.bigbluesaw.com

Quote Originally Posted by SimonArthur View Post
    You should consider buying a waterjet cutter if you want to cut metal.

Or you could just make use of ours: http://www.bigbluesaw.com
    How about building a water jet?

This comes up every now and then here and on other forums.

Building a waterjet could be quite tricky. You need very high pressure pumps, hoses and fittings, 30,000 psi and up. Plus a big catch tank, a system to mix the water and the abrasive, a nozzle, and specialized control software.

It's certainly possible to do, but I'm not aware of anyone who has made a DIY waterjet. You might be the first.

This comes up every now and then here and on other forums.

Building a waterjet could be quite tricky. You need very high pressure pumps, hoses and fittings, 30,000 psi and up. Plus a big catch tank, a system to mix the water and the abrasive, a nozzle, and specialized control software.

It's certainly possible to do, but I'm not aware of anyone who has made a DIY waterjet. You might be the first.
    Well, what I would like to cut is aluminum but I've read where the laser doesn't like the reflective surface. How would I overcome this problem with a laser? I only want to cut plat up to maybe 3/8" or so.

You'll need a powerful laser.

You'll need a powerful laser.
    How much power?

Quote Originally Posted by GAWnCA View Post
    How much power?
    How fast do you want to cut? Think many hundreds of watts...

There are many benefits to waterjet machining that are worth the expense of operation...it's finding the proper work for the machine. It is great for titanium jobs that yeild $$, but can't compete with the speed of a laser on thin metals. Jobs that require the material not be affected by heat is another high-dollar asset to your comany. Also, more companies who cut soft materials or food products are using waterjet(water only cutting) as a more cost-effective/sanitary method. The imagination can still be used in waterjet applicaions...
    Jaime M. Boxell Productionpal, Inc. Authorized Distributor of SpiderCool Systems
    (763) 412-5486 or [email protected] http://productionpal.googlepages.com/home

Average cost of operating a waterjet with one cutting head(approx $$):

Power & Water= $20.84/hr
    Consumable Parts & Abrasive(1 1/2 lb./min)= $26.25/hr
    Total approx cost being around $47/hr + labor

Average waterjet shop rates MN are approx. $120 to $150/hr.
    Jaime M. Boxell Productionpal, Inc. Authorized Distributor of SpiderCool Systems
    (763) 412-5486 or [email protected] http://productionpal.googlepages.com/home

hi, can any one advise me, i want to purchase laser foil to add colour, but unable to find a uk supplier, is hot stamp foil the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by ProductionPal View Post
    Average cost of operating a waterjet with one cutting head(approx $$):

Power & Water= $20.84/hr
    Consumable Parts & Abrasive(1 1/2 lb./min)= $26.25/hr
    Total approx cost being around $47/hr + labor

Average waterjet shop rates MN are approx. $120 to $150/hr.
    Of your Power and water costs, how much is the water figure? I've got all but free water, flsat fee of $30.00 a month.