586,072 active members*
4,578 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Replacing controller on Sherline/Light Machine

Replacing controller on Sherline/Light Machine

I acquired a Light Machine with no controller, just the stepper motors on a Sherline lathe. It is nice with the splashguards, pan, etc.

I have been using it to make pens, but now I am thinking to get a new controller and restore it back to a CNC lathe.

What would be the most practical and cost effective way to do this? Do you know any good controllers that would be easy to install on this machine?

Hello Jayhawk,

Being a Willie the Wildcat type, the jayhawklawrence jumped right out at me.

I don't know your cost and function requirements, but you might take a look at Bob Campbell's Mach3 Enclosure. http://campbelldesigns.net/enclosure.php You can wire it yourself or buy it turnkey with two, three, four, etc axis capability.

The components are proabably overkill on a Sherline, but if you trade up to a larger machine, you can keep the control. I bought one of Bob's Mach3 enclosures, factory wired, and I have good luck with it on a Taig mill running NEMA 23 size steppers and Mach3 control software.

Regards,

Chuck

IM Service supplied my control 4 my Sherline mill about $800 -$1000 mines a few years old. pretty simple to hook up to my mill not sure about a lathe but I don't see why it should be any differant. DeskCnc software seams to have all the bells and whistles I need. Just add a good drawing software package.

Light Machines Lathe

I picked up the same lathe you have a few months ago used.

The first thing you should know is that the Sherline stuff is junk when it comes to CNC integrity. The message boards are full of people who are disappointed with the amount of backlash. Sherline's solution is a goofy lever device that costs $35/axis. I fabricated Nylon nuts which were longer than the OEM brass ones and have reduced the backlash to zero.

For a controller I would recommend getting 2 Gecko 201's or 203V's along with a break out board and a 50V power supply. You will also need a parallel port cable. The whole thing can be mounted on the underside of the chip pan.

I have the motor wiring color code written down some place if you want it.

My lathe is currently disassembled for painting - I find the puke brown color offensive.