586,036 active members*
3,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Spindle Test Porter Cable Vs. Bosch
Page 2 of 2 12
    I agree, the router runs too many RPM to be cutting aluminum. Is better to use a spindle. I know it costs more too, but that's the way to go.
    My Solsylva machine (my first cnc)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44336

I keep thinking that also. I'm doing my research for that spindle. I may use the maxcnc type spindle using a rotozip to power it.

Probably not enough power for you guys, but I am going to use a Taig spindle driven by a 500 watt brushless servo for my cnc router. The Taig has a max rpm of 10000 and a typical runout of 0.0005" and the brushless servo I plan to use has a max rpm of 7000. I will probably gear it up 2 to 1 so I can reach the max rpm of the Taig. A few obvious advantages I see are 1) extremely low noise and 2) precision control of speed and lots of torque throughout full rpm range.

Just an option you might consider. I doubt you can drive the Taig spindle with much more than 500 watts though...maybe even that will be pushing it. Very nice unit for the money though...

500w servo motor sounds good.

Please pass on you your motor spec as in like where are you getting it? It sounds like something I could use. My formula for this is accurate cuts, cost and speed of cut.

I'm wanting to keep my cost around $300 to $500 if at all possible.

I bought this one on ebay (nobody bid on it, works perfect):

http://cgi.ebay.com/API-Getty-servo-...QQcmdZViewItem

But you can use a wide range of brushless servos. This one runs quite smooth on a trapezoidal amp. You can get those on ebay also...I have gotten them as cheap as $25 each. You can then set the amp up in velocity or torque mode and use a simple trimpot to adjust speed. Personally, I am going to reprogram one of my Pixie boards to generate precision speeds as directed from Mach3, but that is overkill for most people. I also might try and use the spindle in some sort of rigid tapping arrangement since it will have such nice control.

Page 2 of 2 12