586,106 active members*
3,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Want to make a cnc mill for under 2000.00

Want to make a cnc mill for under 2000.00

Hello

I want to build a cnc mill for under 2000.00

I have looked at all the small benchtop mills like sherline and taige

I am trying see if I could make a robust machine than those yet small enough to still be used as a bench top.

Are their any plans out their to make a unit like this.

No matter what mill you decide on, buy one, don't attempt a build. It's not like putting together a router. It will cost you far more and do far less if you even get it to work at all. There is a very good reason there aren't any do-it-yourself mill plans.
    I don't say this out of any lack of creativity or adventure. It is just a necessity. I do build special purpose mills from scratch and 1) they just cost more than a manufactured mill in any case - economy of scale is a hard thing to fight, and 2) it requires, at minimum, already having a working mill, rotary stage and lathe in your shop to effectively to start a new build of any of those items in the first place!
    If you want to save money, buy a mill. If you explicitly want the experience of building a mill, you have to buy a mill to do it with. Either way, same answer. Buy one!

I tend to agree with SM. I had an X2 manual mill before I started building mine. I also had a router that helped with leveling. I did make several good buys from Ebay and got some nice linear rails and ground ball screws. I was shooting for around $2000 to $2500, but if you include a new computer, Mach 3 and Sheetcam, both of which I already had, the cost was about $4500 when said and done. I said done, but it isn't quite done yet. I am adding some icing on this cake with spindle speed control and relays for coolant. I am also adding a timing belt drive for the Z axis. Due to the weight, it is the weak axis. I may have to up the motor size on it before I am done too.
    Probably going to put a timing belt drive on the spindle as well.
    It was a hell of a lot of work. Most of it enjoyable except all the hand tapping.
    I did wind up with a very nice and smooth bench top size machine that is very accurate and strong. More than I actually needed.

If I was to be starting again knowing what I know now, I would likely cnc an X3. I don't think it would be as much machine as I have now, but it might have done what I wanted. Costs were probably equal for both choices.
    There are several threads in the build section where guys have built their own mills. I am very pleased with mine. Proud of it too, but got really lucky scoring the parts on Ebay that are the heart of this mill. Without such strong and accurate parts, an X3 would be just as good.

Here is my build log. Check out some of the others too. Just know that it is much easier to buy and retrofit than to build from scratch.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32609
    Lee

How about a xendoll

Thanks for the imput, I will stay away from building my own.

I found a complete mini cnc including software from xendoll (out of china) for 1500.00

Its a sherline knockoff but complete with stepper motors and software.

Now of course I am thinking of "should I buy from china"

Does buying from china make sense (to save money) or am I getting myself into trouble.

Thanks again for all the help.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by sgman View Post
    I found a complete mini cnc including software from xendoll (out of china) for 1500.00

Its a sherline knockoff but complete with stepper motors and software.

Now of course I am thinking of "should I buy from china"

Does buying from china make sense (to save money) or am I getting myself into trouble.
    I think buying from China is a good idea as long as you are happy to do some work and spend some money to sort out the poor finish. This will probably include some scraping as I had to rework all the ways on my Chinese machine. The castings weren’t the best either with a couple of hard spots which made scraping a PITA.

John

I would look at X2 and X3 from Grizzly Tools and Harbor Freight.

I think the best Mill for me will be an X3 size Mill

I need to be able to cut steel and have a reasonable "range" of cutting depths, speeds, etc.

Now the question is if I "do" an x3 mill I want to go 4 axis.

Would a budget off aproximately 5000.00 usd cover software, rotary table, all 4 axis stepper motors, a stand (I already have the laptop computer)

Oh and What build kit should I buy and from whom?

Thanks again for all the help, I have learned more here then anywhere else.

I get real information from people that "know"

Steven G

you cant buy from grizzly tools in canada unless you cross the border and go and buy it there if you want to buy in canada those are the place i know that carry mini mill

busybee tool
    garant machinery
    house of tool
    princess auto
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Here is the nicest homebuilt I have seen.
    http://users.wildblue.net/gmduke/index.htm

Have you checked www.syilamerica.com they might be able to ship to canada. They have a Syil SX3 already CNC converted for $3,995.
    It's about 5K with software, stand, and 4th axis.

true, i even think there is a syil canada
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

I need to find a four axis cnc package for this mill setup

Hello

I can buy a grizzly machine model

(1) g0463 milling machine 950.00
    (1) h6195 rotary table 79.00

I need to find a 4 axis mill setup ready to install on this milling machine package.

Does anybody know where I could buy a kit for this machine.

I checked syil canada, they have a nice x4 for sale at 4995.00 but I think I can build my own with off the shelf parts for cheaper (unless anybody thinks I should not)

Thanks again for the input

Steven G

for sure its going to cost you less but remember by doing so you will void your waranty of the mill also getting a mill from the states mean that you have to wait for custom to clear your part and thing like that when you need replacement, etc... on the other hand my mill cost me a bit less but since i bought it i had two problem with the electronic and the part where at my place the day after around noon i doubt it would have been that fast with a mill from the state but then again if such a problem would arise and you dont mind the some time more then a week wait then the mill from the state could be a good choice

I live in vancovuer so I can buy the mill in bellingham, washington, and pick it up myself (I think I can clear customs right at the border station)

I understand about the warranty, but I am more concerned about all the pieces fitting together correctly, (It looks like I need to buy two different kits to fit togehter)

Here is my kit build so far (and costs)

(1) G0463 Mill 950.00
    (1) cnc fusion motor kit 309.00
    (1) 3 axis cnc motor kit 836.00

Total 2095.00

I can get a syil canada complete x3 for 3995.00.

I guess it comes down to feeling secure enough about building this unit up from multiple suppliers.

again thanks for all the help

SG

Here is the end result of some research I did.

I'm looking at a Grizzly X3 delivered for about $1050.

Add a CNCFusion Ballscrew kit at $900.

Add a Keling stepper and driver kit for 4 axis @ $450.

Add a Phase II Horizontal / Vertical rotary table @ $300.

Total is $2700.

Hi Viper

Hi Viper

Hey thanks for the build kit spec you send me.

I can get the grizzley x3 unit

I can get the cnc fusion kit you specified

Where do I get the other two kits you quoted ?

SGMAN
    I have a machine ready to go ball screws , servos , power supply , controls , BobCad/cam v19 , it is used but still works great , I sold my shop and this will not work in my cargo / plane trailer... $1800.us and you do the shipping.
    thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

Also, you have to match the motor mounts that CNCFusion provides with the motors from Keling.