586,106 active members*
3,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tree power problem

I just bought an older tree mill that has three phase power should I get a rotary phase converter or a static one. I don't know the pros and cons of either one, could use some help. Thanks

I have owned (2 ) rotary phase converters for over 10 years , Static can be built for cheap not sure about long range quality, but never had a problem with rotary.
    Tony

3 phase power supplies

With all of the low cost Ac drives on the market now, The only way to go is with one of the units that will accept 220v. single phase in and produce 208 volt 3 phase output. The additional value is that these units can control the RPMs (I know that is not a real issue with the Tree). I've been using a static unit for years. Only problems were twice, once when I reversed when running forward and the other time I was taking a very heavy cut. The static unit looses about 50% power. my.02worth.

Tree mill

What tree mill did you get? I picked up a 200r two weeks ago and am still working to get it up and going. As to power, I use a rpc for my shop and it works great. Keep us posted as to the progress.

http://americanrotary.com/ and check out the vaious explanations of phase converters. It is a good idea to call and talk to a converter company if you are not able to figure things out from the literature. "older tree mill" is not a very good description. Could use a VFD, RPC...or DPC (expensive but on my 3-5HP CNC 325 Journeyman).
    MechWerks

Tree Journeyman 325- Dynapath Delta 20 Controller

Well sent the whole rack in to Dynapath last week . I have (2) Rotary phase Converters in the shop . (1) strictly for the CNC and the other for the lathe and mill. I had one in the beginning but if I had the milling machine running hard with the CNC running , it would act very sensitive and kick out sometimes. So solved the problem .

The aux. board in the TREE had a WDT fail lite on and acted like a power supply problem. After running a small part on machine , the tool went home sat for about 15 seconds and shut down. When it went it sounded like the Drive Enable Contactor kicked out. Power ?? the other side of machine had power , Just the Computer wouldn,t start up.

After chasing this for several months , I still had not solved the issue . I even went to a shop that had the same machine as mine and put the board in it . (aux) and it ran fine. Programmed a small run and it went to where it was supposed to. Also no WDT lite . ....Not that I think more on it , If Dynapath says no problem , am gonna swap the Converters and see if it powers up. Maybe something in the Converter is ca-put.