586,089 active members*
3,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Any mold maker around?

Hi,
    I'm starting to think in going into the injection mold making business. Any comments on that matter? Is it a good business, a hard one, difficult one? where to start? Take into account that I'm starting from 0 so any type of comments are really appreciated. Really what I need is a thread...that its title should say "How to start a small mold making business and not die in the effort"

The mold and die machining discipline is the most difficult of all tool making processes. Plastic injection molds are the most precise and highest quality molds. The only molds that are more precise or have a higher degree of finishing skill would be for optics...

Ask people to list the machines needed, and the supporting tools and technologies for being successful at it...

It is a good buisness only, if you're good at it.
    Reputations follow performance and a reputaion can be affected by very little gone wrong.

This discipline is definetly NOT for the inexperienced...
    Scott_bob

If you've got a million dollars, you'll probably be able to set up a small mold shop. Add a couple employees with 15 to 20 years each of moldmaking experience, and a mold designer with a like background, and you'll be ready to watch the work go to China at warp speed. Seems it was Ross Perot who described this phenomenon as "The giant sucking sound".

I used to be a material handler for Keytronics in Spokane Wa. They make keyboards for computers like the micrsoft natural and the ibm thinkpad. I was the guy that mixed and dried the plastics and put them in the machines. Well most of the machines went to mexico. Thats the way of the world. Why pay me at that time $7/hour when you can pay someone else $0.20 and get a tax break on shipping from our government.
    Enough on that. Anyway If you could do one off stuff small production runs then you could make it here in the US. The machines are not cheap and the molds are very spendy. If you have good machinist skills you can learn to make the molds. There is alot to it more than just cuting out a shape.
    Wish I could be more help but alas thats about the exent of my knowledge on the subject.

Donny

I came into contact last year with moldmaking, as Scott Bob says it is the most difficult discipline of toolmaking. On press tools there's a margin to "default" on tolerances, but on molds you must keep in mind the shrinkage of the moulded material, the flow of the material, where to split the mould, hot & cold spots in the mold & the runners as well. Sometimes there's a need for a "hotbox" when the runners are long.....
    Well i have mentioned just a few things, but all in all i find molds much more challenging than the run of the mill type press tools, the only press tool that makes my toes curl of joy is progrssive press tools, but these type of jobs does not come my way often!

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_bob
    The mold and die machining discipline is the most difficult of all tool making processes. Plastic injection molds are the most precise and highest quality molds. The only molds that are more precise or have a higher degree of finishing skill would be for optics...

Ask people to list the machines needed, and the supporting tools and technologies for being successful at it...

It is a good buisness only, if you're good at it.
    Reputations follow performance and a reputaion can be affected by very little gone wrong.

This discipline is definetly NOT for the inexperienced...
    I know that mold making is one of the most difficult of all tool making processes. Maybe in the states this is the case, but here in Mexico yo can find really bad quality plastic products, like buckets, cups, etc... that's the kind of molds I'm aiming to...not high precision molds like the ones used for celular phones, or high quality appliances, Got the idea? I want to make my own molds for this kind of cheap plastics prodcuts and not pay 100K for a nasty bucket mold .I know that to get to high precision mold making you need millions of dlls for getting cnc machines, mold software for the design, and really experienced people. My idea is to be realistic and start from the bottom, I'm not in a hurry and I am pacient and my goal is cheap not precision molds, well that's for the start, maybe in 20 years I will be making aircraft parts or something like that :banana:
    Regards...
    Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Klox
    I came into contact last year with moldmaking, as Scott Bob says it is the most difficult discipline of toolmaking. On press tools there's a margin to "default" on tolerances, but on molds you must keep in mind the shrinkage of the moulded material, the flow of the material, where to split the mould, hot & cold spots in the mold & the runners as well. Sometimes there's a need for a "hotbox" when the runners are long.....
    Well i have mentioned just a few things, but all in all i find molds much more challenging than the run of the mill type press tools, the only press tool that makes my toes curl of joy is progrssive press tools, but these type of jobs does not come my way often!

Klox
    Hi...
    I like difficult things... and I also like reading I just got about 10 different books about that difficult things you mention about mold design, I'm aware of that, and I know I'll have to learn lots of things and log time passes before I acomplish the simplest well done job...but that's the fun part of the learning process :cheers:
    Keep the comments coming...know that I made clear my intentions, remember... I'm not aming on the super high precision molds!
    Regards...
    Hector

Hector- I was going to ask what sort of mold making you were interested in - but now you have clarified that.
    About 5 or 6 months ago there was a thread here that discussed (or started to) low pressure injection molding. It was a process that used recyclable plastic like soda (Coke) bottles and such.
    I think the Gingrich/Gingray/or something like that (spelling - sorry) fellow has a set of plans and one of the Zone members was maybe going to give it a go. Sort of surprised that member hasn't popped in - maybe dropped out. I suspose you have done a search on the CNCZone might look for the other fellow on the web too. He has a whole heap of various plans for simple approaches to similar backyard manufacturing.
    Looking forward to hearing your progress!
    Cheers - Jim
    Here - try this site - might get you close (its GingEry)
    http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/inject/index.html
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

I'm a tool and diemaker by trade; but I worked for 7 yrs in the local mold town(about 30mins down the road)
    I have made trim dies; press dies; draw dies; I made the prototype mold and production molds for the Prowler Ins panel/dash re-enforcement beam (Mag/diecast; full width of the car) I made from the Ford drawings (which I had at home on my CAD) the Prototype and production/trim dies for the beverage holder in the 92'ish Mustang (pulled up out of the center console)
    I re-built many times the T Truck center diff gearbox (Ford again) made a few other interesting molds when I lived in Calgary Alberta; winter bases (the phones to listen to underground reflections from the Oil industry crews)
    Made a Motorcycle brake/cluch lever (that folded up when you fell going uphill/dirt bike) called the Champ lever; not sure if it's still around; and many many others
    I think you need to think about joining a shop to learn the ropes; then work up to thinking about starting a shop in maybe 15yrs
    I loved the 4 color Mustang tail light mold; the reflex (stuff that refects the light back) is soooo cool; but at $1,000/sq in you dont screw any of it up

Ok, highend molds aside what about a simple pour mold like for rubber or silicone or a layup mold fiberglass or carbon fiber. Machine time isn't an issue at this point, I'm just comparing thoughts or ideas on different types of molds.

Quote Originally Posted by High Seas
    Hector- I was going to ask what sort of mold making you were interested in - but now you have clarified that.
    About 5 or 6 months ago there was a thread here that discussed (or started to) low pressure injection molding. It was a process that used recyclable plastic like soda (Coke) bottles and such.
    I think the Gingrich/Gingray/or something like that (spelling - sorry) fellow has a set of plans and one of the Zone members was maybe going to give it a go. Sort of surprised that member hasn't popped in - maybe dropped out. I suspose you have done a search on the CNCZone might look for the other fellow on the web too. He has a whole heap of various plans for simple approaches to similar backyard manufacturing.
    Looking forward to hearing your progress!
    Cheers - Jim
    Here - try this site - might get you close (its GingEry)
    http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/inject/index.html
    Not quite a backyard manufacturing I'm planning to nail a used VAN DORN 150 ton Injection Molding Machine but the parts I intend to start with are not precision molding, just plain cheap plastics gadjets...like bukets or small trash baskets or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie
    I'm a tool and diemaker by trade; but I worked for 7 yrs in the local mold town(about 30mins down the road)
    I have made trim dies; press dies; draw dies; I made the prototype mold and production molds for the Prowler Ins panel/dash re-enforcement beam (Mag/diecast; full width of the car) I made from the Ford drawings (which I had at home on my CAD) the Prototype and production/trim dies for the beverage holder in the 92'ish Mustang (pulled up out of the center console)
    I re-built many times the T Truck center diff gearbox (Ford again) made a few other interesting molds when I lived in Calgary Alberta; winter bases (the phones to listen to underground reflections from the Oil industry crews)
    Made a Motorcycle brake/cluch lever (that folded up when you fell going uphill/dirt bike) called the Champ lever; not sure if it's still around; and many many others
    I think you need to think about joining a shop to learn the ropes; then work up to thinking about starting a shop in maybe 15yrs
    I loved the 4 color Mustang tail light mold; the reflex (stuff that refects the light back) is soooo cool; but at $1,000/sq in you dont screw any of it up
    How much$? for a 1 or 2 months mold making camp training, I love Canada, and will work for free

I love looking at mold pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM6.jpg  

Gravity molds are also fun to make!

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Hector,

Do you already have a shop with machinery or are you still going to set up business?

The type of machinery you need will depend mainly on what type of end product you want to produce, finish and tolerance required and also on the size of the product.
    We work maily for the auomotive industry producing moulds which we then inject ourselve.
    Let me know if you have any questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldmaker
    Hector,

Do you already have a shop with machinery or are you still going to set up business?

The type of machinery you need will depend mainly on what type of end product you want to produce, finish and tolerance required and also on the size of the product.
    We work maily for the auomotive industry producing moulds which we then inject ourselve.
    Let me know if you have any questions
    Hi.
    I'm setting up the business...looking for used equipment mainly...an the objective is to produce cheap plastic household items..nothing new around just plain plastic cups, spoons, napkin holders, maybe the bigest thing cold be a water bucket. Have some questions for you?
    1. What tolerances should I look forward to obtain in teh molds
    2. What kind of cnc machine center whould you look for? or what will be the machines needed to start machining this kind of mold. What type of machines besides the machining center do you need for finishing (polishing) the molds, etc.
    3. As you mention earlier, you inject your self. What size and brad of injection molding machinesd you use. Any recomendation on a brand or used molding machine seller?
    Regards...
    Hector

After reading alot of the posts one question you might want to ask yourself is do you want to be a moldmaker or a moulder? You could go either way and I would suggest if you are starting from scracth to try to pick one or the other and try to concentrate on it to be profitable. Then afterwards if you want to shoot for the other than you can see what possibilities you have to invest in. The plastics business is a cutthroat business with automation( being able to run 24/7) the way to get the lower prices to get the business. This all involves the use of robotic pickers teamed up with regrinders attatched to the machines to keep them going. But also being in Mexico, you also have the advantage of the cheaper labor going for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolman
    After reading alot of the posts one question you might want to ask yourself is do you want to be a moldmaker or a moulder? You could go either way and I would suggest if you are starting from scracth to try to pick one or the other and try to concentrate on it to be profitable. Then afterwards if you want to shoot for the other than you can see what possibilities you have to invest in. The plastics business is a cutthroat business with automation( being able to run 24/7) the way to get the lower prices to get the business. This all involves the use of robotic pickers teamed up with regrinders attatched to the machines to keep them going. But also being in Mexico, you also have the advantage of the cheaper labor going for you.
    Well I'm not gaining for high precision parts or very low tolerances I don't even think I can acomplish that in 10 years. I'm gaining for cheap plastic products. I know that wanting to become a molder and mold maker at the same time sounds maybe imposible (chair) but I have some advantajes and disadvantages being in Mexico. On the good side this kind of cheap products really sell here in Mexico and I have plenty of cheap labor. By the other side the bad one...Is that for standing up a business here is very hard, cheap labor but lots of problems with taxes, bad goverments, poor incentives etc...The only way I see of acomplishing this idea is to make the molds myself...I can not see the possible way of paying a molder to build a mold 20-30K for each mold...I need to have lots of cheap products..that means lots of molds...eventually having the power to make my own molds I'm sure that the cnc machining equipment will pay for itself with other jobs besides the molds...If I can put a person exclusively to building one mold each 1 or two months (remember small, not highly precise molds) that will be a hell of acomplishment. As I mention earlier I need lots of products I can sell, I will be nuts If I invest that kind of money for just a product for sale.
    Regards...
    Hector

Consider doing an apprenticeship in toolmaking which has in-house moulding facilities.

The skills and experience you will gain, will guide you later if your endeavours are to do this yourself.

Take a look at www.plastics.com, lots of experience is to be found within the forums.

All the best.

BT1

Quote Originally Posted by BT1
    Consider doing an apprenticeship in toolmaking which has in-house moulding facilities.

The skills and experience you will gain, will guide you later if your endeavours are to do this yourself.

Take a look at www.plastics.com, lots of experience is to be found within the forums.

All the best.

BT1
    Hi,
    The problem is that I haven't found someone that will offer a apprenticeship here in Mexico. I will kill :boxing:, just kidding for that kind of opportunity.
    Regards...
    Hector

Page 1 of 2 12