586,389 active members*
2,908 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Who sells limit home switches?

I know IH has them included with their full CNC kit, but I didnt see it seperatly available. Anyone else sell them?

Also looking for a DIY Spindle controller or kit

If you want those from IH, I'm pretty sure they sell them separate. Was looking at them last week. You can use those $1.25 ones from Radio Shack.

Marv

MSC, J&L, McMaster Carr, Mouser Electronics, Grainger comes to mind but most any industrial supplier that carries any type of electronics will have them.
    Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Under the products link at IH. Click "Optical Limit Switch". About half way down the page it says "Software Comptability"

Then it says "We have tested this with MACH 2 which works great. We are working to test it with other CNC controller packages, if you are using another package and are interested in using the Optical Limit/Home please contact us (phone preferred) so we can discuss software setup parameters."

They don't offer a price, I suppose you have to call them for that.

Marv

Ok who is ih? I have been testing some optical sensors and so for no go. Jim Cullins who designed the Sound Logic breakout board says they are (mine) probably closed collector and won't work. I am looking for a source.
    Mike

Mike,

IH, that would be Industrial Hobbies.

Marv

RadioShack

Thats www.industrialhobbies.com, I'm running 3 of their home/limit switches on my lathemaster mill. The switches are a kit "option" e.g. you can buy them seperately if you want. If you are going to run coolant and make a mess this is probably the switch to buy. There are cheaper switches to be sure but probably none stronger. If by some fluke the switch fails, direct lightening strike for example and the machine bashes into the switch, odds are good the switch will win. Better to beat up the switch a little than to bash into your ballnut mount or worse. They work just fine with Mach2, thats what I'm running.

Thanks Marv, I just sent them an email. I have had two or three microswitch failures since last Thursday and I am shut down again till I get new switches. I probably can't afford these but they sure do look like good stuff. My other problem is that I can only use them on my x and y because I use the z- switch to set the tip of my cutter. I also have a 4th axis I want to put one on and it only need one.

Mike

Thanks cncplastic. I cut wood but the dust can be bad on opticals I am told. I am waiting now for the email back, that is unless you want to tell us "about" what they cost!

Mike

Princess Auto.

Turmite,
    You're welcome. Yea I don't know what they cost but they look really tough like they could work in the bottom of your swimming pool if necessary.

Marv

Wood dust hmmm, I think you could set your dust collection to blow out and empty the canister on the switches and all you would accomplish is making a mess of your shop. These switches are machined from a solid block of aluminum. The pocket for the bolts to attach the switch is seperate from the switch pocket so no dust will get in via the bolts. The switch cover has a full rubber gasket to seal it and 6 screws to clap it down. And the electrical cable enters via a 3/8 brass hose connector that threads into the switch and the cable is covered with 1/2 inch clear vinyl tubing all the way back to your control box. I read the same caution about using optical switches in a dusty environment but don't think it would be a problem. IH could best advise you though.

All I know is I told IH that I did NOT want to be tinkering with my mill, I want to cut parts and not be interrupted with down time due to issues like a failed switch. They said if thats the case then this is the switch to get. I don't know what the current price is, I think they went up a bit so I'm hesistant to say what I paid. They were not cheap and I paused when I heard the price, then groaned, and said gawwwd but then had to remind myself, "didn't you just say you didn't want to be tinkering with and fixing the mill every other day". If I lost a day due to a failed switch that would easily excede the cost of all three switches combined.

Cncplastic I was referring to the actual optomicrosensors like he uses in the alum body he makes. I remember seeing his post when he first designed the units and he a a full stream of flood coolant directed right on the unit. I was impressed to say the least. I have been attempting to get some surplus sensors to work but no luck. I have instructions, more or less, and have followed them but when I hoop the ground up I get a closed circuit indicator led on my Sound Logic breakout board. Jim Cullins, the board designer, said they had to be open collector or they wouldn't work. I am assuming that open collector means normally open switch. That is at least the idea I got from Jim.

Mike

I see, well can't help you there, not an electronics type but I think you are on the right track with NC verses NO.

Optical Limits from Industrial Hobbies

First of all, if I owe you an email about the price I am sorry for the reply delay. We are currently working to out source the making of a part of the limit to lower cost. This in turn should allow us to lower the overall cost of the unit quite a bit.

So I don’t want to go quoting prices and have them drop quite a bit when our manufacturing costs drop.

On the technical side they are “just about everything proof”, coolant, dust, pool water, whatever, and they can take an INCREDIBLE beating. When I demo them to onsite customers I “smack” mine with a vice handle a few time… Hard enough where the customer cringes. I’ve been thinking about taking one to the local shooting range and having someone shoot it with buckshot (I am serious). So they can take it.

On an additional note, I’ve been working with the breakout board folks to get them to direct connect to their board, and I think we have a solution that will work.

So we will be offering a direct connection to PC version and a connect to breakout board version.

Thanks
    Aaron Moss
    www.IndustrialHobbies.com
    Aaron Moss

www.IndustrialHobbies.com

"I’ve been thinking about taking one to the local shooting range and having someone shoot it with buckshot (I am serious). So they can take it."

Aaron I suggest you measure the distance the buckshot is fired from if you want them to survive. Depending on the thickness of the side plates the shot will make it look like honeycomb! Not saying your parts aren't excellent, but I'm in the shooting industry and know what the results will be.

Mike
    ps let us know about price as soon as you get something.

"I’ve been thinking about taking one to the local shooting range and having someone shoot it with buckshot (I am serious). So they can take it."

Aaron is this a "Maine" thing?