586,113 active members*
3,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori vs Nakamura

I have a client overseas who is interested in putting together a top of the line machining operation. As far as the lathe's are concerned he has asked me to look into the Mori and Nakamura only.

I know the Mori reputation and in my research have heard nothing but good things about them. My client however, claims that Nakamura lathes may in fact be higher quality machines and he wants the best. The shop will also be highly automated so the cnc's compatibility with robotics, etc. will be a factor as well.

Any input would be appreciated.

Your client is probably right. IMHO the Nakamura is a better machine. That's not to say that Mori Seiki machines are duds but just not quite up to the same standard.

Ridiculous statements both, there are many equally good cnc lathes out there. Okuma, Takisawa, Myano, Index-Traub, Gildermeister. Please, don't ever think that you know it all......the truth is it depends upon your application, personal experiences and preferences, not forgetting price.

I speak as a CNC engineer with 30 years experience and a Ba in electronics. I think I know what I am talking about, unlike some.

I agree there are many good lathes out there now, I have run a few of them and each has its own characteristics. If robotics as are involved check how each one would fit in to an automated system.

Quote Originally Posted by philserveng View Post
    Ridiculous statements both, there are many equally good cnc lathes out there. Okuma, Takisawa, Myano, Index-Traub, Gildermeister. Please, don't ever think that you know it all......the truth is it depends upon your application, personal experiences and preferences, not forgetting price.

I speak as a CNC engineer with 30 years experience and a Ba in electronics. I think I know what I am talking about, unlike some.
    Pleasure to know someone of such experience. Thank you for the input. The plant, I have been told, will work on the following;

Stainless Steels 303, 304, 316, 416, 440, 17-4, 15-5,
    Nitronic Copper, Brass and Aluminum Bronze (any spec)
    Inconel, Hastalloy, Waspalloy,
    Aluminum, Alloy, and Carbon Tube
    Titanium

BTW, could you suggest some quality names for high end metrology equipment?

Personally, looking at the materials you named I would have a look at the Okuma range. Okuma's 'automotive' machines are very rigid, strong and long lasting. They may lack a little bit of finesse, but for day in day out use they score very highly. The good thing about Okuma is they make everything, including servo's and motors. So you never get the "its a fanuc problem or its a meldas fault". They support everything they make for longer than most builders.

But, this is only what I have found from personal experience. Maybe others on this site can give you other viewpoints. ( I do not work for Okuma by the way! )

Quote Originally Posted by philserveng View Post
    Personally, looking at the materials you named I would have a look at the Okuma range. Okuma's 'automotive' machines are very rigid, strong and long lasting. They may lack a little bit of finesse, but for day in day out use they score very highly. The good thing about Okuma is they make everything, including servo's and motors. So you never get the "its a fanuc problem or its a meldas fault". They support everything they make for longer than most builders.

But, this is only what I have found from personal experience. Maybe others on this site can give you other viewpoints. ( I do not work for Okuma by the way! )
    Thanks again. So would it be a good idea for have the milling and machining centers all under the same brand? Also, how do Okumas rate WRT speed?

I haven't seen this machine name in this forum,but you might want to take a look at Danobat machines.They are Spanish.Very rigid and reliable.We had two Danobat grinders at my last company and they lasted for 15 years (Running 24/7) with out any major problems.15 years 24/7 that's 45 years running day shift only.

http://www.newall-uk.com/NEWALL/Desk...d=269&inicio=1
    Stefan Vendin