586,103 active members*
3,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machining aluminum honeycomb

Does anyone have any experience machining aluminum honeycomb? I am looking at machining a 3000 alloy 1/2" cell size, 2.5 lb density honeycomb. I will need to cut a 3D shape in this. I have some samples on the way, but I am concerned that the material (only .003" thick cell wall) will bend before cutting. I am hoping to use a 2" HSS ball cutter at 18,000+ rpms.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Paul

Use Belmont 158

I would build a wood form place the honeycomb material in it, and then fill it with "Belmont 158". This is a low melt point alloy that once soildified, will provide enough support to cut the honeycomb. When the machining is complete, just heat your part to 160 deg. F, and the Belmont will run out, leaving your part in tact.
    It is the poor craftsman that blames the tool

Hi Paul,
    Did you ever move forward on this? I'd like to know how it turned out for you.
    It is the poor craftsman that blames the tool

I havent had a chance to get back on the machine lately. Between some other things moving in front of this project and trying to cut in on production, it has been hard to get on the CNC.
    I hope to get a chance to do some tests on some samples that I have in the next month. I will keep you posted as to my results.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! What chance is there of this material having any metallurgical effect on the aluminum? I was thinking of some kind of polymer material, possibly cast in layers through the section of the material.

Like, a layer of this hypothetical polymer to the depth of machining on one side, a layer of polymer and glass microballoons in the middle to hold cost down (maybe) and then another layer of the uncut polymer on the other side. I suppose you could just put the balloons all the way through, but they'd be hard on cutters, no?

My interest in this is figuring out how to build 3D core forms for making aerofoil sections for larger-scale R/C aircraft and possibly an honest composite hood for my car at some point. Thoughts?