586,105 active members*
3,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Need suggestions for desktop drill Press

Need suggestions for desktop drill Press

Hello, I am looking for recommendations for a desktop drill press around $100. I've looked into some options from harbor freight but wasn't sure if that should be considered as well as looked into a ryobi Drill press from home depot. What should be considered when purchasing. The drill won't see any heavy work, i'm thinking primarily thin steel, varying aluminum, and a variety of woods and plastics. So a whole range of materials and drill stroke doesn't have to be much over 2", nicer of course to have more but no real need right now. Chuck size I am open to, it seems everything has 1/2" and up. As for the number of speeds what should i be looking for? I feel like 5 would be enough 500-3000 but need input here too.

Try to find something that has low end speeds. 500 is still pretty fast for bigger bits, hole saws and for some metals.

Suppose a dremel is too light for your purpose? It has variable speeds and they even have a mini drill press setup.
    BTW if you need variable speeds -- Harbor Freight has a "router speed controller" on sale now for $9.99!
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the harbor freight drill presses, Or is it worth a 30 doller increase to get a ryobi branded one.

As for the speeds, I will most likely be looking into the option of the router speed controller but that can be added after if i do need to go below the 500 rpm minimum of both drill presses. I am leaning towards the Ryobi branded one as it has the same features and seems more solid. The Central Machinery one just doesn't seem to be of the same quality