586,379 active members*
3,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Smile MACH3 Laptop Success Stories

Seems in reviewing people using laptops with MACH3 is a mixed bag. Some succeed, some don't. (I think I want to buy a laptop...but only if I think I can use it with MACH3) The fundamental question becomes, is it something happening with the laptop internals, software setup, or is it a hardware interface problem with the controller hooking to the laptop parallel port. So for those considering a laptop to run a machine from a parallel port with MACH3, if you are one of the success stories, can you post what make/model laptop?
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Save your money if you intend to only use Mach to provide step/direction to your drives. The laps only put out 3.3v and 5v is absolute for that need. Now on the other hand, if you want to use Mach as the gui,smooth stepper as your step/direction, it might work. This is the direction I want to go if the new smooth stepper and Mach will work with a lap top.

Mike

ps smooth stepper is a pulse engine much like the G100 from Gecko, but the smooth stepper as been getting rave reviews from the beta testers.
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Phil,
    I only use a laptop to run Mach3 and an Exitech 0609 CNC Router.
    The laptop is a Compaq Presario running XP Pro. Absolutely no issues with 3.3 or 5.0 ttl logic levels. The parallel port is built-in so not much of a problem.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bclark6716 View Post
    Phil,
    I only use a laptop to run Mach3 and an Exitech 0609 CNC Router.
    The laptop is a Compaq Presario running XP Pro. Absolutely no issues with 3.3 or 5.0 ttl logic levels. The parallel port is built-in so not much of a problem.

Brian

Well, that just goes to show you can't believe everything you read! I would be very interested in your model specs just as pminmo is.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I will get some info and post tomorrow morning.

I use a fijitsu lifeBook oldish laptop with a p3 running at 1Ghz works fine just had to disable all power options and all startup applications and anything else I could find running in the backround

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    Seems in reviewing people using laptops with MACH3 is a mixed bag. Some succeed, some don't. (I think I want to buy a laptop...but only if I think I can use it with MACH3) The fundamental question becomes, is it something happening with the laptop internals, software setup, or is it a hardware interface problem with the controller hooking to the laptop parallel port. So for those considering a laptop to run a machine from a parallel port with MACH3, if you are one of the success stories, can you post what make/model laptop?
    I posted a while back with a similar question so am also interested in any good/bad experiences with Laptops.

John

I run Mach controlling an engraver,cnc saw,cnc lathe, Not all at once though! Using an old dell 650mhz laptop. It out puts a 3.3-3.5v signal.
    I just use a breakout board, like the cnc4pc c10 and it works fine for me.
    There service has been great.

Cutmore

I use my HP 3010us laptop with built in parallel port just fine. I did have some problems with on of the drivers, and since I thought it was a 3.3v port problem, I actually bought a dedicated computer for the shop. Only to find out it was a bad board. Now I can use my laptop or my desktop with my Syil SX3 just fine.

Wade

Mixed bag is quite accurate.

I have/did run it using my older IBM Laptop , it's an absolute tank of an older laptop and ran it fine. I have two others that I have tried to run it on , both quite new and quite powerful that won't do it due to enough or reliable enough voltage output.

Ultimately , as most suggest , I just ran and picked up a used Desktop from a local source , w/ LCD too , for something like $250-ish and have been perfect ever since. Plus it's strong enough now that I can easily work in my CAD/CAM will parts are running.

Ok, I decided to take a leap of faith/experiment and bought an old Dell C610 which is a 1Ghz P3 with 386K of ram. Initial driver tests are all over the place which isn't a big surprise as there are a lot of potential settings that intuitively look like they could be an issue. I don't want to do too much tweeking yet as I'm waiting to see if I can get backup CD's from Dell, as I just have the machine with a valid COA for XP Pro. No real way to get a valid image of the HD easily that I can figure out. I did a Microsoft Image backup to a network drive, but it's based on a floppy boot and I'm not real comfortable that it would work. The HD on the laptop is one partition, no hidden partition........

Pminmo, wish I would have read this post a few days ago. The dell c610 won't do it for you. I've tried 2 of them to no avail. Sold one already, kept one for solidworks. Once you make them 'Standard PCs' they will at least run Mach3, but there's an internal problem somewhere that causes the pulse rate to suddenly drop out, then come back, causing havoc on your machine tool. (This was especially bad with servos, since they would sometimes enter fault mode.) I tried everything I know of but was unable to get rid of the pulserate problem.

Let me know if you see the same behavior.

That being said, I have one machine that is controlled using a Toshiba Tecra S1, and it works flawlessly. The only thing I had to do was disable qtask.exe. I can even have mail open and wireless always on, and it dosen't affect the machine tool.

Other experince:
    Compaq Evo desktop @ 2gHz - no go. same problem as the dell laptops.
    Crappy Dell desktop @ 1gHz (the miniture type) works perfect.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by fatal-exception View Post
    Pminmo, wish I would have read this post a few days ago. The dell c610 won't do it for you. I've tried 2 of them to no avail. Sold one already, kept one for solidworks. Once you make them 'Standard PCs' they will at least run Mach3, but there's an internal problem somewhere that causes the pulse rate to suddenly drop out, then come back, causing havoc on your machine tool. (This was especially bad with servos, since they would sometimes enter fault mode.) I tried everything I know of but was unable to get rid of the pulserate problem.

Let me know if you see the same behavior.
    I'm seeing the same thing via the driver test. There are some configuration tings I wonder if might not be the result, specifically ACPI. Did you try disabling ACPI?

How about something like this.

http://sewelldirect.com/QuatechParallelPCMCIACard.asp

"Quatech's Parallel PCMCIA Card fully supports the IEEE 1284 EPP standard and functions exactly like a computer's native parallel port. Thus, unlike many USB to Parallel converters on the market (which are designed to work only with parallel printers), the Parallel PCMCIA Card will work seamlessly with any hardware or software that requires either an EPP or standard parallel port."

I am sure there are many others like this. If just one could be confirmed as "good for cnc" then any laptop would do.

Todd

This hasn't anything to do with the actual parallel port interface. The driver test for mach3 just tests cpu availability and resources to maintain reliable pulse spacing. Nothing will work if the cpu has to dedicate time to some other requirement.

I think when you change your PC to 'Standard PC' it disables all the ACPI stuff, that's why you have to hit the phyisical power button to turn off the computer. Maybe not though. Maybe there's another place to disable it.

I would be nice if the mach3 website had a list of known good computers to use with Mach3, it would avoid $500 experiments...

Quote Originally Posted by fatal-exception View Post
    I think when you change your PC to 'Standard PC' it disables all the ACPI stuff, that's why you have to hit the phyisical power button to turn off the computer. Maybe not though. Maybe there's another place to disable it.

I would be nice if the mach3 website had a list of known good computers to use with Mach3, it would avoid $500 experiments...

What is the model of the "crappy dell" that worked?

It's a Dell Optiplex GX150, 1ghz. Works perfect. A little lagging on the AutoCAD side though...but still OK.

I checked ebay, their going for 25bucks!

Paul

any other laptop success story i am wishing to go the laptop way to
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

How about an Eee Pc running a NC Pod via USB I want to try that as soon as I get a chance,

Keith

Page 1 of 4 123