586,114 active members*
3,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: rs232

rs232

Hey guys, I know that this is a stupid question as I am told that Haas rarely has problems with 232, but I am using Mastercam to communicate with a VF-3 when I send I get an alarm that there is no data between the % signs. I am positive that it is some small detail that I am overlooking, but I know that it worked before I started running the shop. The baud rates are right, everything seems right??? Any help would be appreciated.

RS-232

Your communications system may be adding a % when it is sending the program.

how would I know

The machine will only see two instances of "%": one to start and one to end. So if you have your communications software set up to add a % to the start of transmit and also have a "%" written into the first line of your program, you'll get nothing transmitted.

If it is too difficult to find your comm settings start lines, then try deleting the first "%" from your program and then try the transmission again.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

still no luck thanks for the help though, I am going to call a mastercam rep today. I am at good, is all I have to look forward to is grouchiness?

Nope, you've still got becoming fast to look forward to, then grouchiness. If you get grouchy first, then you won't feel like becoming fast
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

littlerobb:

Do you have Mastercam before X?

If so CimcoEdit is part of this package and it will successfully transfer files to and from HAAS. Properly setup this will not add an extra % at the start.

You can also try Microsoft's HyperTerminal.
    I provide some comments on its setup at
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=148379
    post #22 and #24. Post 24 provides a necessary correction to 22.

On your text editor your file should look like:

%
    O0100
    (your program code follows)
    %

Edit your program in Microsoft's Notepad, and save as a .TXT file. This will guarantee that each line (block) is ended with CR, LF ( Carriage return and line feed. ).

I believe if only LF is used for an end of line delimiter, that HAAS does not recognize this as a block delimiter.

Gar,
    Thanks for your help I couldn't get hold of the rep today i willtry it tomorrow, I think that it is probably something like that (the way the code is saved). thanks again

080228-1542 EST USA

littlerobb:

E-mail to me a small part of your program starting from the beginning and maybe about 10 lines.

Do the file as an attachment to the e-mail. Normally I will not accept attachements, but I want no modification of what is in your file. I can use debug on this to see what the line delimiters are.

The e-mail address is [email protected] . Do not do this thru a PM. The root of the address is my web site.