586,035 active members*
3,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Keep Losing power too my system.

Hey Guys, I'm running a Taig CNC Mill. The controllers and power unit are from an Ebay seller who designed them. "BrentHub"; good stuff. Anyway, the system runs pretty good. I use Linux EMC2 as my controller. Right now i'm only using a basic simple BOB adapter. I have a multifunction BOB from cnc4pc but am waiting for some parts before I fully install it

Anyway, I run into some electrical problems every now and then, and I would like too get rid of it it completely! Sometimes, when running a program in EMC2, I lose power too my system. Nothing gets unplugged or anything, I just lose power. Two most noticeable things that happen when I lose power; I see all my fans in my controller case spinning very slowy and then I know the machine has stopped. EMC will continue showing the machine running, but the machine does not move. This scares me, because when I do work on my machine, I don't want too lose power and restart the whole process again of my parts!

Right now, I'm using an extension cord (heavy duty) that is plugged from the wall, across the room too my controller. Does anyone know if something else may work, like a heavy duty power box. (ones quite often used for Pc's;having many cords near your desk). I need something that will stop making me lose power. My shop is only running the lights, cnc machine and coolant. It's always the system that goes! All I do is unplug, and replug it and it's ok.

-Jason

Sounds like you may a power supply problem with your system.....the system is the computer.....

There are several after market PC power supplies with higher power ratings.

You think it is a power supply issue in the computer? Not the CNC power supply? Maybe a Larger Power supply will help??

Cause I have a few at home, I'm good with this stuff (Computers) so it's no problem swapping, but could that be it??

I have an external supply powering the individual boards, but when using these types of systems, I know that using the Parallel cable draws voltages from the comp, it's meant too. Could be my supply system your right.

-Jason

-Jason

I think it's the CNC power supply, or maybe a loose connection somewhere. If EMC is running fine, but you have no power to the steppers, then I doubt it has anything to do with the PC's power supply.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So, the fans that are slowing down are in the case with your drivers and not the power supply fan in your PC? If the fans that are slowing down are in the driver's case...then I would agree with Gerry.

What are you using for a power supply in the driver's case?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    Two most noticeable things that happen when I lose power; I see all my fans in my controller case spinning very slowy -Jason
    The problem is your power supply in your controller case.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

When I say fans, I bought case fans too cool my Drivers in my CNC casing. They slow down and I lose power.

The power supply is from the ebay seller. I think it's a 12 volt supply. I'll need too check.

Assuming I swap out the power supply, does that also mean If i get a better system, I can probably run my steppers faster. But for now, lets fix one thing at a time.

-Jason

Here is what I noticed today. I had my system running first, when I say system, I mean my cnc unit, controllers, fans cooling the boards, running the steppers etc...Than, when I turned on the spindle connected too another outlet, the system died, Spindle kept running, only the cnc unit power when out, not all of it, because the fans still turn very slow.

I decided too turn on spindle first, than my system, worked fine.

Also, when the system does die, and I unplug it. The fans actually pick up speed and than shut off all together.

-Jason

sounds like the power supply to me. if it is smallish and being pushed to the max it might get hot or overloaded and will cause lots of problems. you can check it by putting a multimeter on the ac power and the dc power out of the power supply. there will be a dip in one or the other when you have the problem, most likely in dc power supply. It could be a normal ATX computer power supply used in the controller. they die sometimes under weird circumstances. I had one that would shut off whenever I turned on the dust collector on the same circuit. got a new power supply and problem solved.

good luck
    Matt