586,103 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Opinions on Hurco TM-6 lathe

Opinions on Hurco TM-6 lathe

Hi- I'm looking for opinions/experience on the TM-6 Hurco lathe; I have a VM-1 and a VM-2 lathe and really like it; but I haven't found too many shops using the lathes. (I see a lot more Haas or Okuma); Also, any 'must have' features? I'm thinking parts catcher, tailstock, maybe a chip conveyor? thanks. Dan

Call in to this guy he has been on the lathe project at Hurco for about 5 years or so. Chris Thale at Hurco 1-800-634-2416. He is a weath of knowledge and not a sales guy.

But he works for Hurco!

Be careful I have heard a lot of bad things about the Hurco Lathe!

I would go for the Mazak or Haas anyday! Proven machines with a proven bulider to back them. Unlike the Taiwan made Hurco!

Curious, any first hand knowledge? The experience I've had with the vm-1 and vm-2 mills has been excellent; 3" circles within .0001" TIR; hard to beat for the money. The haas is the other choice, but the programming isn't as nice, and I was reading posts about chasing the dia's all day long.

tinman, You better check your machines. Unless they were built 20 years ago the castings come out of China, the thk ball screw and linear bearings might say Japan but they have plants in China. The spindles, and servo motors are built there also. They might be partialy assembled here. But follow the money trail young Luke. I would be willing to bet last years pay check your machines Mazak and Hass parts come from China or Tiawan. They might be partialy assembled here for the politics. I can get every part on those machines in China. Sorry for the reality check. Here is a good check for you. Have them send you photos of the shop in the U.S. where they are machining the rough castings. 8-10 years ago I worked for Okada (Japanese Co.) They'er economy was going into the tank back then, partialy because of what China was doing cost wise. So THK, NSK, and several other large companies started manufacturing facilities in China. Hey you can build bearings for 1/2 price or less, simple business. I will tell you straight up you can not build 100% in the U.S. because of labor costs. Sorry if this pisses anyone off. Don't ask the question if you really do not want to hear the answer. Look at tool shops. I run a tool shop. My cost on an injection mold tool compaired to China. U.S. Get the design done, order the steel, steel arrives (nothing cut) vs China full mold on my floor ready to run. Sure I can say I am a U.S. tool shop. But I am a Wal-mart. We mark up and sell Chinese tools. I am lucky this year 2 man shop 3 tools so far this year. I also do custom machining to keep my machine busy. China is here to stay my friend. Look at history, Germany in the 60's (VW), Japan in the and 70's, Portugal in the 70's, China now and you now have Vietnam said to be the next hot bed. They already build a machine called a Viper. Ball screws and linear guides already being built in Vietnam. The industrial revolution it's not just a concept. It is trickle down economics on steroids, and hard to slow down or stop. Eventually implodes and goes to the next country with ambition and government support. Ask to see photos of the U.S. built machines, I would bet all or 99.9% are built in China or Tiawan. Sorry for the wake up, don't mean to piss nobody off. Let me know if I am wrong. P.S. don't send photo shopped photos from the 50's.

Taiwan, pretty good factory though... One thing I like is the heavy casting and the wedge locked rail bearings. When we bought our first one, I started out thinking Haas just for the made-in-usa aspect and good resale value, but the quality in these machines was hard to beat, plus as it was our first moving into vmc's from prototraks, the conversational control made for an easier transition.

Back on topic- looking for feedback FROM A TM6 or even TM8 USER thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 68sixspeed View Post
    Taiwan, pretty good factory though... One thing I like is the heavy casting and the wedge locked rail bearings. When we bought our first one, I started out thinking Haas just for the made-in-usa aspect and good resale value, but the quality in these machines was hard to beat, plus as it was our first moving into vmc's from prototraks, the conversational control made for an easier transition.

Back on topic- looking for feedback FROM A TM6 or even TM8 USER thanks.

Ok we looked around very had before we bought our first hurco , initally e ordered a tm8 , then very quickly canelled that & boughta tm10, we are running 350 brinell materail all day , the machine has all the guts required to do the job , & remains stable all day , 6 months later we bought our 2nd tm10 so that should say it all , we run with the latest software ( some niggles ) but being sorted , m/c easy to program & nice to use .
    to add one thing - inbetween buying those 2 m/c's we were the first in uk to order a vmx 60 - now thats some tool !!

Steamer .

steamer... thanks, that's re-assuring. I'm thinking smaller for cost, and most of the work would be 5c collet work, so the 6000rpm spindle is nice. We'll see... it's shipping this week! VMX60... nice... I'm thinking of VMX42 next if the economy holds.

One other thing we were looking for when we were looking at machines was back up service - very important to us in west wales , we went with hurco & it was the best choice , we have had 2 issues this week ,one when a tap broke & shattered the window even to the extent of denting the outer perspex ! ,this happened at 5pm so next morning contacted hurco & by 11,30 am the spares were in a van on their way to us arriving at 4.15 pm - we were up & running by 5 pm .
    the second involved the conveyor which developed a problem due to finished parts being caught in the swarf & ultimately punctureing the conveyor slats ( something no one in hurco - even tiawain had had happen before ) today being thursday & on tuesday we are having a new conveyor .
    both of these incidents have reinforced our decision to go with hurco , personally i can't wait to get my hands on a tmm10 ! .

Steamer

Nice to see that someone is getting good service from hurco, I've been waiting over a month now for a tool setter problem to be solved.

Not so bad as I waited several months for a new turret for it a few years back. The fools are shooting themselves in the foot as the loss of production has put back the purchase of a new vm1 I was going to get next month.

Anyone else with bad uk service I'd be pleased to hear from.

C

Calm down, Mark. You knew you'd bought a badly abused machine right from the off. I seem to remember you couldn't even be bothered to get out of bed and check the machine after it was re-aligned and set up with the new turret.

Smile Not True

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    tinman, You better check your machines. Unless they were built 20 years ago the castings come out of China, the thk ball screw and linear bearings might say Japan but they have plants in China. The spindles, and servo motors are built there also. They might be partialy assembled here. But follow the money trail young Luke. I would be willing to bet last years pay check your machines Mazak and Hass parts come from China or Tiawan. They might be partialy assembled here for the politics. I can get every part on those machines in China. Sorry for the reality check. Here is a good check for you. Have them send you photos of the shop in the U.S. where they are machining the rough castings. 8-10 years ago I worked for Okada (Japanese Co.) They'er economy was going into the tank back then, partialy because of what China was doing cost wise. So THK, NSK, and several other large companies started manufacturing facilities in China. Hey you can build bearings for 1/2 price or less, simple business. I will tell you straight up you can not build 100% in the U.S. because of labor costs. Sorry if this pisses anyone off. Don't ask the question if you really do not want to hear the answer. Look at tool shops. I run a tool shop. My cost on an injection mold tool compaired to China. U.S. Get the design done, order the steel, steel arrives (nothing cut) vs China full mold on my floor ready to run. Sure I can say I am a U.S. tool shop. But I am a Wal-mart. We mark up and sell Chinese tools. I am lucky this year 2 man shop 3 tools so far this year. I also do custom machining to keep my machine busy. China is here to stay my friend. Look at history, Germany in the 60's (VW), Japan in the and 70's, Portugal in the 70's, China now and you now have Vietnam said to be the next hot bed. They already build a machine called a Viper. Ball screws and linear guides already being built in Vietnam. The industrial revolution it's not just a concept. It is trickle down economics on steroids, and hard to slow down or stop. Eventually implodes and goes to the next country with ambition and government support. Ask to see photos of the U.S. built machines, I would bet all or 99.9% are built in China or Tiawan. Sorry for the wake up, don't mean to piss nobody off. Let me know if I am wrong. P.S. don't send photo shopped photos from the 50's.
    Well you are a little right. Here at Haas we buy parts from all over the world. Our castings are from North America, this includes one foundry in Canada and the rest in the U.S. All machined parts are made at the factory or by a local contractor. Anything else could be from U.S., Germany, Japan, and some small portion from China or for that matter anywhere.
    Do a Yahoo Maps of "2800 Sturgis Rd. Oxnard CA." (I tried Google but it did not have an updated map) The Haas Factory is over 1,000,000 sq. ft. If you are ever in the area stop by and ask for Wayne Reilly and I will show you the machine shop and assembly area personally. It is all done here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails haas_buildings.jpg