586,077 active members*
3,883 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > X2 + mach3 - manual tool change??

X2 + mach3 - manual tool change??

Hello everyone, i am just learning mastercam X2 running a 3 axis mill controlled with mach3. I have searched the forums for some time trying to figure out how to set a parameter to allow for a manual tool change and so far have come up close, but still empty. Does anyone know how to implement this specifically for the mach software? Thanks!

If you use the generic mill in x2 the MPFAN post will work for you. Just go into Mach setup and tell it NOT to ignore tool changes. At a tool change it will go to machine zero. Mach will tell you to change the tool and to hit cycle start.

Thanks Shepard. Do you know if there is a way to have it go to somewhere besides machine 0, because i normally have Z zero set to the material top and use an offset.

If you aren't using home switches to set up machine zero then you can still set it anywhere you want. In the Mach "Program Run" screen switch to "machine zero" just below your axis DROs. Move the table to where you want to do your tool change and hit "reference All Home" beside your axis DROs. That will set your machine zero. Toggle off machine zero and you can set your work zero on your material where you like. X2 will automatically tell Mach when you are switching tools and your mill will go to Machine zero for the tool change.

In your M6start.m1s macro you can add code so it moves where you want it to during the tool change.

Something like:

code "G1 X5 Y5 X2"
    tool = GetSelectedTool()
    SetCurrentTool( tool )
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)