586,042 active members*
3,748 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

FR-SE spindle drive trouble

Is any one familiar with these drives? I found some torched resistors and diodes on the SEIO1 board. The spindle motor was working.
    The resistors I replaced, but the diodes I am not sure what type they are. If I ring them out with an ohm meter, It looks like they are switching on and off. Switching diodes?
    The diodes are marked with 3SM 6D, the usual line on one end, and there is a red dot on the lead on the side with the line.

Any help greatly appreciated,
    Cutmore

You should be able to download a manual for it from www.meau.com
    If you have problems I can email you a copy.There is a couple of versions,one better than the other.
    Mark.

Thanks for the info on the MEAU site,
    already did find the manuals. I have ordered some diodes and when they come in I will replace them and cross my fingers. In the mean-time i am going to Meg test the motor to see if that is an issue.

Cutmore

make sure to check your base transistors before powering up or you will have a fireworks show.

ps those resistors on the right hand side of the board do get hot so may be discolored and still be ok.

One of the manuals gives the procedures for testing the transistors.

Mark.

I've got an FR-SE down myself. It is the power supply though. Sent in to Mitsubishi for a $400 repair. Deader than hell when I got it back. They replaced all the capacitors but the 2 largest ones.

I am sending it back to Mitsubishi for a 2nd try at the rebuild.

Hey Cutmore,

Keep us posted on your repair of the FR-SE drive. It would be great if you can repair the board yourself! I have always wanted to know more about repairing this stuff.

If all else fails, you can send it to Mitsubishi for repair. The thing that sucks is they usually charge at least $1k to repair a board. Yet all they do is solder in some new capacitors, and maybe a diode or two.

I just paid them $400 to solder about $50 of capacitors to my FR-SE power supply. The jack-leg tech couldn't have tested the power supply. I guess he assumed dead power supplies are always due to bad capacitors. But, why did he not replace to 2 large ones just to be safe????

Thanks for the replies,
    The cost from Mitsu to repair was quoted at $2400, so I figured I have some room to try myself first. The thing with these old parts is, the tech guy told me that the major parts are no longer available so they can only replace components now.

I replaced 1 of the power transistors before finding the cooked resistors & diodes. All the others tested fine.
    I did notice 1 of the big capacitors windows is open,should I replace that even though the drive was sort of working?

Note to self, when you find one bad component, Inspect the whole device for any other visible problems!

I megged the spindle motor last night and it tested fine. I am waiting for the diodes to come in. $12 from Newark.

Cutmore

FR-SE drive

Just to continue the thread,
    I replaced the diodes and re-installed the SE-I01 board. The spindle still does the same thing. When I use the manual start button the spindle acts as if it is single phasing and does not have enough ummf to start, but if I nudge it by hand it will start. The spindle will not start with an M3 or M4 command.
    I tried putting the drive in open loop mode and the spindle would not start even trying to help it.
    Anyone have any idea what else to test or am I stuck sending in for an $$$$ repair?

Thanks,
    Cutmore

When you checked the SE 101 board,did you check across all the transistors as shown in the Freqrol-SE Maintenance Manual No 1?
    If it all tested ok I would suspect the power supply which is the black box across the top it puts out multiple + - 8 volts supplies.
    When the drive is powered up what leds do you have on?
    Mark.

On edit 8 volts was 18 volts.
    Have you gone through the extensive troubleshooting part of the above manual?

FR-SE drive

Thanks for the reply,
    I already checked the large transistors and had to replace 1 on the converter side, the v phase I think it was. The ready led is on and I forget the others that were on.I will have to check when I get home.
    I did notice when I commanded an m3 or m4 the up to speed led was lit even though the spindle was not turning.

Someone mentioned they thought the firing circuit was what they suspected but I am rusty with electronic troubleshooting and am not sure what to test.
    Is there a way to test the transistors on the SE-Io1 board?

Thanks,
    Cutmore

Yes there is a way to test all the drive.PM me your email and I`ll send you the manual.
    Mark.

Hey gridley51,
    Is the FR-SE Maintenance Manual No 1 you are referring to available from Mitsubishi's web site?
    I can't recall reading anything about checking the transistors on the SE101 board itself, just the big base transistors.
    Thanks!
    Greg

No1 manual I have is part of a Mazak publication.The same info is available in Mits download BNP-A7237-35A

Mark.

Mark, I have since downloaded the file you suggested. Thanks for the help. I have not had to do this deep of repairs in a nearly 10 years. Sending the drive to meau is cost prohibited with the economy as it is.
    robind

Robind,thanks for letting us know you got the info.So many people never come back and say either way.Nowadays I very rarely say on a forum that I have a manual for whatever as I get hundreds of requests for copies and very few people even acknowledge they got it.
    If you think Mits over there are expensive don`t come to Britain.I`ve just had two boards for an M2 repaired by Mits in the States,they were repaired as needed and loaded with up to date software for $200 a board,fixed price regardless of what they needed and a years guarantee.In Gt Britain,Mits don`t know anything about cnc and everything goes to Germany.If it`s from a Mazak,Mits Germany won`t speak to you insisting you go to Mazak.Mazak wanted $2000 each for the boards plus their tech had to fit them at additional cost or there was no guarantee.Price here to get an FR-SE drive repaired is about $5000.
    Email me if I can help with anything else.
    Mark.

FR SE drive

Hello Robind, Mark,

What is the trouble you are having with your drive?

I have had to adjust the converter enable voltage a couple of times on one of my drives. The symptom for that was, the spindle while running would sometimes slow down for no reason and then after a toolchange the spindle just didn't start. Right in the middle of a job of course!

Cutmore

Where can I get the DK434 hybrid's?

Regards,

Chippy

Smile Mitsubishi FR-SE-2-22K spindle drive repair

This was a real interesting thread - I just got one of these drives in for repair from a CNC rebuilder, and I'm hunting for those pesky DK434 / BKO-NC2055 hybrids myself... I just emailed a couple of places with RFQ's.

If anyone is interested I can repair these and all other makes & models of spindle drives, AC & DC servo drives, stepper drives, CNC controllers, servo motors, PLC's, monitors either CRT or LCD / touchscreen, power supplies and the list goes on and on....

We're based in Charlotte, NC, USA (though I'm from the UK originally) but we do repairs worldwide. And we're a lot cheaper than MEAU or Fanuc or any other OEM for that matter.

Well, thanks guys for all the helpful info above, and good luck to anyone attempting this repair! If anyone wants repair info, call 704 889-2404 or email [email protected]

Andy Fleming

Hi Andy.
    It is an interesting thread and now you have had something from us maybe you could let us know when you track down the parts.
    I have a few of these drives and don`t particularly like them.One of them failed while the machine was in storage.The fault was the power supply that sits on the top of the drive.
    Had this quite a few times and I`m wondering if that`s what blows them.That power supply has mutiple outputs of +8 -8 or 18volts (can`t remember) and I`m wondering as this voltage is used to derive the motor voltage that the failure of some outputs will overload the other firing controls and burn them out.
    The power supply can be fixed usually by replacing all the caps.BTW I find this approach cures 90% of all board failures I get.
    Where in the UK did you come from Andy,and where did you work over here?
    Mark.

Page 1 of 2 12