586,077 active members*
3,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > "Off the Shelf" Benchtop CNC Mills
Page 1 of 2 12

"Off the Shelf" Benchtop CNC Mills

Hi,
    I'm considering purchasing a small Benchtop CNC Mill to use for small
    moldmaking. I'm wanting a complete system I can take out of the box and start using.

Does anyone have any reccommendations or other insight they care to
    share? I've looked at the Taig and MaxNC websites so far.

Any opinions on these small cnc machines would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    :rainfro:

syil, but it really depends on the work envelope you need
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Yup, define your requirements first, then choose a hardware and software solution that suits your requirements.

Include sherline and tormach in your search

Envelope.....

Thanks guys! I'm looking around 9"x5"x5" (XYZ) or so. the material will
    be aluminum and/or UHMW.

I use Solidworks and would like to have a system that can take my 3d
    model and use it to make a part.

Jeff

ok so a mill like the syilx3 would fit your need and a bit more
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

If price is not an issue take a look at the HAAS Office Mill.

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    If price is not an issue take a look at the HAAS Office Mill.
    definitly if the price is not an issue this would be by far the best bet

Although I built my own CNC, I have heard nothing bad about tormach.

The Y on the X2 is 4" without modifications. Some additional Y can be created with a little machining, but probably not a full additional inch.

I'm not sure what the definition of benchtop is that you are using, but if well over half a ton=benchtop, then yes, the Tormach is a very nice machine.

I'm not sure what "out of the box" means for you, but if that means a year of machining and modifications, and replacement of at least 60% of the machines parts to get basic adequate function, then an X2 might indeed be in the cards. It isn't much of a machine, but the fact that you have to go through such inane gyrations to get one to function means you get inducted into a cult of oppressively smug moral superiority if you own one, which seems to be their major attraction to many. It is the antithesis of "out of the box" function, as they hold those of us who just want a machine to just work as specified to be unimaginative, uncreative peons. If feeling better about yourself by demeaning others is more important than actually making parts then it's definitely the machine for you.

If you really just want an out-of-the-box machine solution for light work, a Sherline or a Taig are what you are looking for. A Syil X3 might work for you as well depending on your future needs - it doesn't really have a significantly larger working/cutting area than the other two, but it is a hell of a lot sturdier so you can cut steel and the like in addition to the softer materials. It is also obviously a lot bigger and heavier.
    Stay away from the MaxNC at all costs, the website looks nice, but it is essentially a scam. Ask ANYONE who has actually owned or used one and that will settle the issue for you permanently. There are threads on here going back years about them.

AWESOME !!!!

Thanks Guys...this type of information is priceless. Stepper, thanks for the info on MaxNC....I'll stay away from it.

I have an X1 that I bought about a year ago with the intentions of converting it. After replacing the cheap gears, motor control and motor, I've decided to give it up. It's now just basically used for a drill press.

I'm still considering building my own but that will take longer and i'm ready to start making parts on a cnc so my next step is to purchase one.

Thanks again!

jeff

Hey jeffo, if your interested in the cost of Do It Yourself take a look at my post and take my recommendation and don't. The syil sx3 would fit the bill plus some, and if my x3 is any indication, it is a nice machine. Also I have learned after two mills and now looking for a new bigger one, so get something bigger than you think you need, because at some point you will need it. If you get the Syil, make sure you get the high speed spindle operation. If you will be cutting uhmw you want a nice fast spindle. Also, the Tormach was mentioned, and if you leave near Wisconsin, they have one listed on ebay for 8000 that has nearly 11000 worth of stuff on it. Its a demo model and not crated so they wont ship it. That mill is way beyond your needs now, but might be what you want in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepper Monkey View Post
    I'm not sure what the definition of benchtop is that you are using, but if well over half a ton=benchtop, then yes, the Tormach is a very nice machine.

I'm not sure what "out of the box" means for you, but if that means a year of machining and modifications, and replacement of at least 60% of the machines parts to get basic adequate function, then an X2 might indeed be in the cards. It isn't much of a machine, but the fact that you have to go through such inane gyrations to get one to function means you get inducted into a cult of oppressively smug moral superiority if you own one, which seems to be their major attraction to many. It is the antithesis of "out of the box" function, as they hold those of us who just want a machine to just work as specified to be unimaginative, uncreative peons. If feeling better about yourself by demeaning others is more important than actually making parts then it's definitely the machine for you.
    lets say that this opinion could have been express in gentler way

I agree, it was a little harsh. Then again, so are the predictable personal attacks and flaming from that camp if you dare to recommend a machine other than the one they personally worship. A few members of the cult will come out of the woodwork flaming in not-so-gentle form anyway, whether you start out polite or not, so we might as well just be honest and upfront right away - the simple act of recommending a machine based on the questioners requirements, and not blind adherence to that small minorities ego-driven religious dogma, is a sure start of a flamewar anyway, so lets just get on with the unfortunate inevitable.
    They traditionally start by questioning the sexual orientation of anyone who disagrees with them, any bet on where they start this week, or how "gentle" they will be?

"It isn't much of a machine, but the fact that you have to go through such inane gyrations to get one to function means you get inducted into a cult of oppressively smug moral superiority if you own one, which seems to be their major attraction to many."
    never had that with my x1 or x3 .......an i missing a whole part of this nonsene
    must be on the dark side :-)

btw you in marketing there monk?

MacNC's are nothing but junk, stay very far away.

There's lots of X2's out there, but if you check out the voluminous posts here about them, definitely not worth much right out of the box. If messing around, rebuilding and modding your mill is your idea of a good time, go for it. If you'd rather spend your time making parts, there's better solutions.

Taig's are the best bet for performance/value in that price range, plenty of users and plenty of help for the novice.

I've got a Minitech, they're worth a look, cost a bunch more than a Taig but worth it for a turnkey precision mill IMHO. http://www.minitech.com/

I forgot about Minitech. Like Harryman says, if you can afford them, you can't go wrong there.

For real small detail work, Model Master out of Georgia has some interesting mills, and there is always the Roland as well, but they cost a small fortune and are severely limited in their size and cutting capacity. They are a trade off of capacity for accuracy and compactness, which certainly has its place, but there aren't many hobbyists that find a use for them. Mainly jewelers and the like.

+1 for the Taig

Quote Originally Posted by Stepper Monkey View Post
    I agree, it was a little harsh. Then again, so are the predictable personal attacks and flaming from that camp if you dare to recommend a machine other than the one they personally worship. A few members of the cult will come out of the woodwork flaming in not-so-gentle form anyway, whether you start out polite or not, so we might as well just be honest and upfront right away - the simple act of recommending a machine based on the questioners requirements, and not blind adherence to that small minorities ego-driven religious dogma, is a sure start of a flamewar anyway, so lets just get on with the unfortunate inevitable.
    They traditionally start by questioning the sexual orientation of anyone who disagrees with them, any bet on where they start this week, or how "gentle" they will be?

I knew you couldn't behave for long.
    Who exactly are you talking about that started a flame war here?
    Ataxy for recommending Seig?
    Or bilinghm's one sentence mention of the X2 Y axis?
    I'm not seeing anything flammable there.
    I sure see the green eyed monster rear it's ugly head soon after, totally unprovoked.
    Why don't you just threaten me again so they can ban you once and for all,
    then we all can get back to providing each other with useful information.
    Jeff was asking about "off the shelf" cnc mills not "out of the box" manuals.
    Any company that sells mills converted to cnc has already worked them over
    from their manual counterparts.
    As ataxy mentioned, Syil America offers several models.
    Taig Tools has one.
    As does Sherline.
    Then there's the Tormach PCNC 1100.
    The brute Industrial Hobbies turnkey.
    You can also check out several models from Flashcut CNC.
    Microkinetics has a few too.
    Penn Tool Co. has the Prazi.
    Imcorp has the Benchman MX.
    Quick Silver Industries has the Quick Mill CNC.
    CNC Masters offer the CNC JR as well as a knee mill cnc.
    And finally, don't forget Ebay could have a good deal on a new or used system.
    Hoss

P.S. This cult you speak of, are they taking applications?
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

ok lets keep this down people so basicly the thing is that all benchtop mill have there pro and con the x2 is a neat little machine with tons of flaw like most of the benchtop the reason the x2 could be a good choice here is only based for my point of view on the work envelope required by jeffro and the fact that he can get it cnced out of the box from syil, but this is not to say that there arnt other possibility for instance i could have recommended the smaller sister of the mill i have wich i think penntool cary but the x2 from syil came to my mind as for the taig they are good little machine wich you can get cnced out of the box but are also realy on the small side structure wise

finally i would ask that the mather of x2 lover vs all the other be put to rest and that this thread be back on track helping another member make is choice on what he need and not what whe think of other user and there choice of machine or point of view.

thank you all
    Ataxy

Page 1 of 2 12