586,100 active members*
2,646 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > changing length of drawing

changing length of drawing

I am starting to get the hang of this program finally.

But here is my next little dilema.

Is there any way to lengthen the overall width or height of a drawing after a whole bunch of stuff has been drawn? I found that my drawing is a little under width and need to lengthen it about a 1/4". Can I do this without redrawing everything?

Edit: After messing around with it for awhile after posting this, I found I could "move" parts of my drawing. This did not seem to be the easiest way of doing things. Is there a better way?

Thanks
    Mike

Don't know anything about Dolphin, but can you rescale the drawing?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Don't know anything about Dolphin, but can you rescale the drawing?
    Wouldn't that rescale the whole thing? I only need to make the length longer.

I know there is a way to do this in TurboCad...

Mike

Go to view/properties click on "resize paper to fit drawing" click okay

you may want to go to zoom/extents first,

Then view/redraw.

I don't use Dolphin, and I'd need to see the drawing, but it's almost impossible to lengthen or stretch a drawing in any CAD program without making undesirable changes. The reason is that everything would move. Again, I'd need to see exactly what you wanted to do. Do you just need to extend a few lines?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    Go to view/properties click on "resize paper to fit drawing" click okay

you may want to go to zoom/extents first,

Then view/redraw.
    Thanks MrWild.

But I need the drawing itself lengthened. Not the paper. I drew the part a 1/4" too short.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I don't use Dolphin, and I'd need to see the drawing, but it's almost impossible to lengthen or stretch a drawing in any CAD program without making undesirable changes. The reason is that everything would move. Again, I'd need to see exactly what you wanted to do. Do you just need to extend a few lines?
    Actually, this is possible in TurboCad. I did exactly what I wanted to do in TC. I was hoping there was a way in Dolphin to do it.

Basically, I drew the drawing 1/4" too narrow. I wanted to move one whole side a 1/4" over and then extend the lines to meet the new locations.

What I ended up doing was to use the "Move" icon to move each element of the left side of the drawing over 1/4" (or .250") and then used the "Intersect" command to lengthen the connecting lines.

Hard to explain, but it worked. I'll pay more attention to my measurements from now on. LOL.

I got the part drawn the way I want it and I am now working on figuring out the CAM part so that I can hopefully mill it today.
    Mike

Hi Mike,
    If the only thing to move is one side of the drawing I think I would just delete the line extend the 2 ends and redraw the line for the side. If you are using version 10 there is supposed to be an option for changing lengths etc. What are you working on if you can tell us, and did you get it done today? Just curious.
    Regards
    Regards,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Hi Mike,
    If the only thing to move is one side of the drawing I think I would just delete the line extend the 2 ends and redraw the line for the side. If you are using version 10 there is supposed to be an option for changing lengths etc. What are you working on if you can tell us, and did you get it done today? Just curious.
    Regards
    Yeah, that is pretty much what I did.

I'm making three cylinder heads for a Cummins 400 model engine (non-running). I'll attach a drawing of it. I don't know if I have all three layers turned on in the attached drawing though. There is the cylinder head layer, the bolt head layer and the rocker housing layer. I am hoping to start milling the rocker housing layer on Monday. This is the blue lines.

That brings up a question...ummm....forget it...I'll start a new topic on it instead. It is about milling a lip around the bottom.

Thanks
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

BrassBuilder, not sure if you figured it out or not but to answer your question.......

Yes,

Go to View menu and select Properties.
    Under "Paper size" tick "Resize paper to fit drawing", or select a new paper size from the list.
    If the is not a suitable paper size in the list, select "Custom" and enter the new width and height.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

stretch

Try the (move area) tool, and only surround the area that needs to move the rest of your drawing will stay put. Be sure to use snap to grid or perpendicular snap to keep true. This is also usefull to skew drawings

Quote Originally Posted by sqatch View Post
    Try the (move area) tool, and only surround the area that needs to move the rest of your drawing will stay put. Be sure to use snap to grid or perpendicular snap to keep true. This is also usefull to skew drawings
    This worked too. In fact, I used this technique last night to move a whole front of a drawing.
    Thanks
    Mike