586,080 active members*
3,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Twisted wire pair for step & dir wiring?

Twisted wire pair for step & dir wiring?

Hi Group,

I am using twisted/shielded wire (just what was in the scrap box) for my step and dir connection to my G203's. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I was going to tie one end of the shield to chassis ground. Also, does it matter if I have the power wires near or crossing over the S&D wiring?

Also, does the G203 driver need to be grounded to my chassis? Right now they are mounted to a plastic rail clip that was used with the General Controls Dragon drivers that I used before.

I am running G203's, 36V, 1.25A Pac Sci motors in series and I get intermitent faint klunking noise from the motors, no lost steps though. I didn't hear this with my previous drivers.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pat

If you are using twisted-pair wiring, never send DIRECTION and STEP down the same pair. Use one pair with STEP and COMMON, use another pair with DIRECTION and COMMON. Connect both pair's COMMON to the G203V COMMON terminal.

Run your 1.25A motor windings in parallel and set the G203V to 2.5A with a 27K CURRENT SET resistor value. You will get much better performance at 36VDC that way.

The G203V doesn't need any heatsinking at 2.5A so you can mount the drive any way you like.

Mariss

Hello Mariss,

Thank you for the reply and more good info! I already ran the S&D wires with twisted pair, which I will promptly change. Have I done any damage to the G203's with my wrong wiring?

Should this info be put in the Gecko Do's and Don'ts file?

Thanks again,
    Pat

No, it didn't damage anything and yes, you can put it in a general 'do's and don'ts' file. There is capacitive coupling between the twisted pair wires. Any logic change edge on one wire couples into the adjacent wire producing a notch or glitch in that wire's signal. It's called crosstalk.

Mariss

Hi Mariss..I have a concern if I am doing my wire hookup wrong in regards to twisting the leads..I found some nice 4 lead 16awg stranded wire at home depot and the way that I have been wiring the Breakout board(c-11) to the 203v drivers is taking 3 seperate colors of this wire..chucking up the ends of the leads and spinning it with a cordless drill..then I hook up the x axis with this twisted wire combo..using this 3 wire combo to wire just the step-direction and common for just the X axis..then another 3 wire combo for the Y axis and so on..am I making a mistake here doing this with the cross talk concern..the combo wire is about 12 to 14 inches in length for each axis.I have not done any testing on the table for possible performance failures as I have not finished the wiring yet..Thanks Mariss...Mike

A twisted-pair means 2 wires, not 3.:-) You should have made 2 twisted-pairs; STEP and COMMON, DIRECTION and COMMON. 12" to 14" won't hurt anything; 12 to 14 feet would cause problems done the way you did it.

Mariss

All right then..Thank you much for the fast responce I will let you know how it goes..Mike

Exclamation Motor hook up

Have a 23-205-DS8 motor to hook up to a HobbyCNC EZ board. TB1,TB@ and TB3 have six terminals. How do I know where each and every wire goes to? Puzzled...! Thanks for any imput.