586,121 active members*
3,556 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > What turns 4th axis 'on' in MCX?

What turns 4th axis 'on' in MCX?

I've had this problem in the past and the only solution I could come up with was to reprogram the part. I don't want to do that this time and I can't find the answer on my own.

MCX MR1:
    HAASV.PST

I did a cutter path for a part, I flip the part 4 times in the vise so the file has 4 origins but they are all the upper left corner. The work offset is '0' so it all remains G54 when it posts. I get a warning that they are all zero when I post but the output was exactly what I wanted. I posted it two or three times last night without any problems.

After the first part, I tuned-up some of the ops, changed a few ops and reposted. It's the same file and same definition. The tool planes, WCS, etc, all seem to match the desired operations.

The problem: I'm suddenly getting an A-axis output in the posted file. It's the same post, machine, control, etc. The only thing that I can think that I monkeyed with was the 'planes' button in each operation dialog.

What turns on the 4th axis? How do I make it go away?
    Greg

Greg you need to set the tool planes not the WCS. that way it know there has been a change in plane and to out put the rotation.

Also look in the ops manger and make sure the WCS and Planes match in the tool groups.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thanks Jay,

I'd just post the file but I'm having problems with zipping files right now.

To make this clear: I don't want 4th axis. I did something that made it suddenly start putting out A values.

What I did was set up an origin on each face of the part I wanted to use (Op 1, op 2, etc). For each flip of the part, I put a manual entry (M00 with instructions).

After each face, I opened the view manager, set the tool, work and construct planes to the new view and continued. In the Work Offset column of the view manager, I have zeros in each field (so it wouldn't add to the work offset value). This is how it looks. Does it basically look correct?

I tried to RTFM--really, I did . It mentioned a 'rotary' button in the dialogs. I'm going to dig through that later. Maybe I accidentally clicked it when I was setting depths & passes.
    Edit: Nope, I just checked all of the operations. None of the rotary buttons are turned on. I'm stumped. The A values it outputs are zero. I just can't figure out what told the post to start putting out the 4th axis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beam.jpg  
    Greg

hi
    if u are talking about 3 axis program and u don't want to see the A axis in the NC program then u have to change the post and select MPF post u will c only the xyz axis in the program , this is what i do usuallyu
    i hope it solve ur problem
    bye

Thank you for the reply.

The problem is that this post wasn't giving the A axis value. In the past, it would only output A values if there was 4th axis in the code. Now it's adding 'A0.0' to every 'first move after a tool change'. Something I did has caused the post to think that there is a rotary axis involved.

I could edit the post but I'd just like to know what I did to cause it.
    Greg

Greg your best bet is to send me your file so I can review it.
    It is late for me tonight.
    But tomorrow I can go thru it.
    Do you know how to do a zip to go?
    If not just email me the MCx file. Are you using my post?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Greg you have Email. on this issue.
    PS I have now installed MastercamX MR1 to follow you with.
    Cadcam

Thanks Jay. Got it.

So the only solution was to physically turn off the rotary in the post? Or change posts? Odd but ok. If I had solved it that way, I'd have thought I did something wrong.

It's odd because I can delete some of the operations and it will stop outputting the A axis. I never did narrow it down to a specific op though.

Sorry you went to the trouble of installing MR1 to discover that. Maybe I should have stayed on maintenance another year.
    Greg

greg all good I will review more later as I have a thought. installing was fine this way I can help you more down the road.
    Cadcam