586,082 active members*
3,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > C11G, Gecko 203v and Mach 3...connect what where?

C11G, Gecko 203v and Mach 3...connect what where?

I just got the C11G BOB and I'm not sure on some of the connections. I plan to use an E-Stop but I'm not sure if it needs to be between pin 10-5v or if I should use the 5v-EN & Pin 10 on the input?? I also want to use my one of limits on X,Y & Z as my home input. Can the C11G do that or do I have to have seperate switches for home. I know I can set it up in Mach 3, just not sure about the BOB.

I think the BOB requires 12vdc and 5vdc. I plan to use to wall warts for that and I see where the 12vdc/gnd connects but do both dc supplies have to share a gnd? I see several spots for the 5v/gnd to connect, I just don't want to let the smoke out!!!

I think the 203v will connect to Step, Dir & Common on the output terminals. I've selected a small jumper that says 2-3... comm=gnd on the BOB. Is that correct?

I plan on using the saftey charge pump thats built in so the jumper is on 2-3 and I will assign pin 17 to it from Mach.

If anyone out there has this combination please tell me if I'm on the right track.

Dan

Hello Dan,

I just hooked up a C1G BOB but I am not using all the features, just signals for the steppers. Yes, change the jumper to pins 2,3 for common ground for the G203's and connect a wire from each common on the 203 to a "COM" terminal on the BOB. I connected mine to the "COM" terminal near the step and dir terminals on the BOB so I know what they are for.

Pat

I did a control box awhile back with the same components.

I bought the A4 power supply (5v/12v) from cnc4pc. It comes with a panel mount connector wired for the c11g board. It has 3 wires (5v, 12v, and a common ground) works great for that board.

E-stop: I took the hot wire off the 5v/EN, took a wire from the 5v to the e-stop, took 2 wires from the e-stop, 1 of the wires to the EN pin and 1 wire to pin 10.

Jumpers: com is ground, and charge pump is pin 17.

My enclosure build:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42921
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wires2.jpg   wires1.jpg  
    Walking is highly over-rated

Thanks for your replies, Hey Tauntdesigns is your C11G a 5.4 version? The terminals location you have to power connected to on mine are GnD/5v/5v.
    Dan

Dan,

No, mine was an earlier version. I didn't realize they had changed it that much. Sorry about that.

My board needed 5v@2amps and the new one states 5v@1amp

Sorry again,
    Jack
    P.S. EDIT: The E-stop part didn't change.....

Taunt, I've connected the 5vdc and the 12vdc and have my estop wired like yours is, but for some reason I can't get the output led to light. I have a 5v Led lit and the 10 pin input led is lit. I started Mach 3 and set the estop in the pins and ports and tested it. Mach sees it just fine. I originally had the charge pump enabled, but changed the jumper to try to bypass it and get the output led to light. No Luck! Any suggestions?

Dan

Dan,

Do you have a second wire from same side of the e-stop as the pin 10 wire, running back to the EN pin? The EN pin must have 5v for the outputs to work.

Jack

Dan,

I went out to the shop err.... garage and started everything up and took some pictures.

1st pic is from the power end showing the e-stop right above the BOB.

2nd pic is from the 5v/EN side of BOB. In this pic you can see the lights that are on when the e-stop is released and the reset in mach3 has been reset and ready to run.
    Labels of the lights that are on:
    pins 10 and 17
    output status
    5v and 12v power

I also went in to ports&pins-inputs tab to see what my e-stop settings are:
    E-Stop
    Enabled (Check Mark)
    Port # (1)
    Pin # (10)
    Active Low (Check Mark)
    Emulated (X)
    Hotkey (0)

Cheers,
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails estop1.jpg   estop2.jpg  

I've got it wired just like that. I even checked the voltage at the en pin and it had +5vdc. I'll have to check to see if I have a 12vdc LED...I didn't have one lit??

Dan

I was having a problem with my board when I first put my box together. I accidentally figured it out. I have to start everything in this order. I was thinking it had to do with the charge pump, but maybe it was the output.

I boot the computer, start up Mach3, plug in BOB power supply, turn on driver's power supply, release e-stop, and reset mach3's reset. If I shut down mach3, I must unplug the power to the BOB, re-start mach3 and then plug in the BOB again.

Arturo said the newer boards had been fixed, but I did notice that the manual said the system needs to be running before powering the BOB. Could this be it?

Jack
    P.S. I looked at the new board's manual and didn't notice a 12v light. I may have missed it, I'm not even sure if it (new board) needs 12v to operate.....

Well I thought I figured it out this morning. I tried to remove the estop from the equation and hardwired the en/5v. No change! I'll have to go out and try the order you have suggested. Only problem is the BOB and drivers are both controlled by a common swithch on the AC side of my system, so the will start at the same time. But my estop is a momentary switch so it has always been closed on start up. I'll hold it down while starting up the BOB/Driver switch and see if that helps.
    Dan
    PS. the only thing I think the new board uses the 12 volts for is the analog speed contol option that I'm not using.

I think that only the mach3 needs to be on first. The first time I got everything to work.... after that I always started everything in the same order, but if I understand the manual right: the system (Mach3?) needs to be on when the bob is turned on.

Not sure about about the momentary switch.... I used the press/twist release e-stop from cnc4pc.

Turn off the e-stop and the charge pump in Mach3 and use the hotwire between the 5v and EN and see if you are getting a light on the output status. After taking everything else out of the equation, if you still don't get a light then you know its not the e-stop.

Jack
    Edit: does the momentary switch allow the 5v to pass through until it is pressed?

AHHH no luck. I tried the start in order thing and also removed the estop from Mach and unwired it....still no LED on output. I even tried to wire the estop with a common and make it a low active in Mach, but I couldn't get Mach to reset. I sent an email to Arturo but he hasn't replied yet to it or the live help I tried last night.

Got bored and decide to take a few pics to post and show off my not quite working right contoller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM0706.jpg   HPIM0705.jpg  

It's looking good.

I see that the light is on (pin10) so you're getting 5v there... I'd say check the white wire, but you said you hotwired it and it still didn't light up the output status light.. umm.. I'm confused!

I wounder if the light is burnt out or a bad bulb? Have you tried hitting the jog button to move the motors...?

CNC4PC has a yahoo group that Arturo give support on. You might go there and post a few ??????

I noticed in the BOB's pdf manual on page 2 says it (BOB) needs 5v@1amp, on page 4 it says consumes about [email protected], and on page 5 I zoomed in on the board layout over next to the 5v power supply connection, printed on the board ( 5v@2amps).?.? Say What?...... I'm really confused now...!!

Good Luck & Cheers,
    Jack

I thought it may be the light also, but no luck when I tried to jog. I got a response from Arturo on the yahoo group, he thinks the card may be bad. He had me check the en voltage to confirm it was there. Just waiting now instructions on how to get it replaced!

Dan

Dan,

I saw on the Yahoo group, that Arturo is going to send you another board... Kool

Cheers,
    Jack

lighst on

Quote Originally Posted by teamtexas View Post
    I thought it may be the light also, but no luck when I tried to jog. I got a response from Arturo on the yahoo group, he thinks the card may be bad. He had me check the en voltage to confirm it was there. Just waiting now instructions on how to get it replaced!

Dan
    mine does the same thing. I put +5v to the en and output light blinks once and that it. no more light.. I may have to get a replacement also.Hmmm...