586,080 active members*
3,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Delivery from China - is it hard?

Hi Everyone,

I was all set to buy a Syil CNC X4 Mill and now the Australian importer has decided not to import anymore Syil gear.

I contacted Syil directly in China and they are more than happy to sell me a mill.

I recall reading somewhere about problems actually getting stuff delivered through customs and mountains of paperwork. i.e. it's not a simple as getting a few small items through the post off ebay.

Anyone had any experience in getting a Mill delivered from China?

Wink Not difficult - If done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by john_t_h View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I was all set to buy a Syil CNC X4 Mill and now the Australian importer has decided not to import anymore Syil gear.

I contacted Syil directly in China and they are more than happy to sell me a mill.

I recall reading somewhere about problems actually getting stuff delivered through customs and mountains of paperwork. i.e. it's not a simple as getting a few small items through the post off ebay.

Anyone had any experience in getting a Mill delivered from China?

G`day John, Importing is a fairly simple process.
    We recently imported a cnc router from China, and regularly import classic cars from the USA.
    First question - What size is the mill? Shipping is done by either LCL ( less than container load ) meaning that it will be put into a container with other goods, or by FCL ( full container load ) which is a much more expensive method as your machine would travel solo.
    I would assume that the mill would not be overly large so LCL should be the way to go.
    Your supplier in China should be able to quote a price for the shipping. They will crate the machine and arrange to pack it into a shared container. They will provide you with all of the paperwork, including a "Bill of Lading" and fumigation certificate etc. The container will be put onto the ship and be offloaded at your nearest port. Be sure to request insurance as containers sometimes fall off the ship in rough seas.
    You will need to contact a Customs Broker in your capital city who will make all necessary arrangements for Customs clearance and also organise delivery to you from the port. Be prepared for some expenses at this end such as approx $150 for the Broker charges, port charges, GST, etc. Get an approximate cost from your Broker before you order the machine, or you may get a nasty shock.
    It will probably take about one month from when the mill leaves the factory in China to when you receive it.
    Hope this helps you.

Rocket.

Any recommendations for a Broker?

We got some machines from china before. Shipping was fairly cheap, customs wasn't a problem.
    But the wharfys want $600 to load it on our trailer.
    I also was told by a guy that moved over from the US. He had a container shipped and was charged $400 to get his stuff out.
    So make sure that that you have a guy in the know that recieves it and you get it from them.

Rod

Customs Broker/Receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by john_t_h View Post
    Any recommendations for a Broker?
    Hi John, Just do a yellow pages search for Custom Brokers/ Receivers.
    I have seen on another thread that you are located in canberra, so search in the Sydney Yellow pages.
    You could also look at the MOCA ( Mustang ) forum in the importing section - you may see the name of a good Broker there.
    Interesting to see the prices charged to "bone". Maybe he did not use a broker? Always use a Broker as they will make sure that nobody can con you - although the waterfront crowd can find charges that a normal person could not dream up IMO. ( greedy sob`s).
    Our 20 ft container was delivered to our factory from the port for $290, all arranged by the Broker.

Rocket.

John,

I've just imported a Laser egraver from China to Aus, its straight forward but there are a lot of areas you can save money.

The price i paid was FOB China, which means the price covered all the equiment, crateing, cartage to and loading onboard the vesell as well as Sea Freight insurance.

The charges you wll incur later are all downstream starting from unloading in the Australian port.

As rocket said, get a reputable customs broker, the standard charge they hit you with is AUD$150, but as shown below there are a lot of extras, they will give you a formal quote prior to goods arriving but a lot of the line items which are for third parties are quoted as "At Cost" so you will need to do a bit of searching to get a handle on these costs.

GST Per Customs entry $538
    Electronic Entry Charge $60
    Port Service charge $413
    Delivery Order Fee $45
    CMR-EDI Fee $15
    Quarrantine Permit/Inspect $68.50
    Quarrantine Clearance $35
    Quarrantine Examination $55
    Customs Clearance Fee $150
    Fumigation $250
    Cartage to fumigation $75
    Cartage $75
    Depot Chrge for AQIS inspect $90
    Tel/Fax Charges $5

The sea forwarder that the manufacturer used was Toll forwarding and
    we've since been able to claw abit of the Port Service charge back from them,
    its incredible how it costs more to forklift something 300mtr than it does to ship aroundthe Pacific.

Unfortunately i was offshore when the unit cleared as i could have been able to save all the cartage costs and i suspect a few other incidentals had i been there shepherding the unit through, however as the better half was at home on her own raising 4 kids i though it more conducive to a better homecoming that i not have her drive 500k's to wrestle with public servants.

We were not supplied with a fumigation certificate from China hence the big$250 charge for that one, mind you the box had not been opened and there was no sign of any holes having been drilled in the crate so i think we've been touched up here.

So it can be very simple to import and carry a few extra costs or you can do a bit more leg work and save a few charges

Hope this helps
    Buschy

for info, the unit was 2.4m3 and around 350kgs, it was shipped LCL, next time i'll ship a load of them in

fob $$$

I too am looking at get stuff shipped over but much smaller package, 25 kg
    box, of electronics and machined parts(25 kg box). I planning on using ups or fedex...The vendor qoute a price$$ (FOB Shanghai) in this case i be using fedex, so what charges would i still see? when i receive the package?

GST Per Customs entry ?
    broakage?

[QUOTE=eloid;424803]I too am looking at get stuff shipped over but much smaller package, 25 kg
    box, of electronics and machined parts(25 kg box). I planning on using ups or fedex...The vendor qoute a price$$ (FOB Shanghai) in this case i be using fedex, so what charges would i still see? when i receive the package?

Concider using Chinese express service (EMS). They have an agreement with TNT locally. That is if you want to ship by postal services.

Red face

Oops!, placed this post as a new thread now,

Hi,
    I am a newbie that purchased a Syil Super X3 mill in March 07 from the Australian distributor but because of illness, I had to keep it in the shipping crate until now.
    My question is about the packing grease on the machine. what is the best method of removing it and would the time in storage have caused any problems?
    It all looks ok but I have not started the cleaning & setup so any help would be appreciated.
    While the manual is useful, I was banking on the importer here in Aus for support if needed but then I receive an email saying he's no longer wanting to deal with Syil China and any issues should be directed back to them.....so I thought I would post on this site for some help.
    Again, any advice on what to do regards cleaning/setup would be appreciated.

Cheers

Coilwinder