586,094 active members*
3,914 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > thru spindle coolant leaking

Cool thru spindle coolant leaking

i have a fadal 2216 with thru spindle coolant it is leaking
    is it hard to fix in house.

thanks

If the coolant makes it to your bearings, that spindle won't last too much longer. Is it leaking inside the spindle, or at the rotory union?

Arrow at the top

at the top above the spindle service tells me i need a seal kit

Quote Originally Posted by GARY DAVIS View Post
    at the top above the spindle service tells me i need a seal kit
    "service" as in the machine tech's? That's good news if you just need a seal kit for the rotory union, if the spindle is leaking internally, you will be looking at an expensive repair, even if you do it in house, atleast a couple days of down time. I rebuilt spindles for 9 years, and I believe I did a couple of Fadals. I've seen a lot of internal leaks and those almost always require a full over-haul due to bearing contamination, then the spindle has to be totally refitted with new bearings.
    Michael

Not beating a dead horse here, but you are in for a hell of a ride... our new 2216 was down more than once a month from TSC leaks since the machine was new in October last year.
    Take my word for it, your troubles are just starting... document EVERYTHING from this point on!
    We had to replace the seal kit multiple times, we had a cracked piston, we had to add an air pressure regulator, and our distributor had to send out one of their guys to do a custom repair on it, which they have supposedly been doing for over a year... I don't know what the repair was that he did; he didn't share with anyone.
    Supposedly, Fadal are redesigning the TSC system, at least that's what we've been told for 5 months.
    Leaking TSC will ruin your belts, bearings, sensors... this is not a small issue.
    Call Fadal directly and raise a big stink... they knew about this problem before we bought our new 2216, never told us about it, and we can't get rid of it now. It's sitting in the corner of our shop, unplugged, empty, and gathering dust, and they won't return our calls to come get it. Our next step is to call in the lawyers.

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44616