586,035 active members*
3,910 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > cycle time calibration

cycle time calibration

Hello,

on my postpro, the cycle time shown in edgecam is almost 3 times as long as actual,
    how can i change this?

there must be some settings that'll affect the estimated cycle time...

Hi:
    Without knowing the specific area to perform the change (sometimes in the post processor file, sometimes in the CAM setup) there will be the ability to enter the rapid feedrate, and toolchange time. This is probably causing the timing error.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by cam1 View Post
    Hi:
    Without knowing the specific area to perform the change (sometimes in the post processor file, sometimes in the CAM setup) there will be the ability to enter the rapid feedrate, and toolchange time. This is probably causing the timing error.

regards
    i checked the rapids and toolchange, they are set to 30000mm/min, and 6sec,
    so it must be someting else, edgecam says 27mins, but my machine does it in 8.30mins...

In my experince it depends on what your machining. Most of my cycle times are within 3-4 seconds. However when I do a thread millcycle it will say it is going to take 27 minutes when it really only takes like 45 seconds. I have not figured out were the error is yet
    No matter how good you are, there is always someone better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisryn View Post
    In my experince it depends on what your machining. Most of my cycle times are within 3-4 seconds. However when I do a thread millcycle it will say it is going to take 27 minutes when it really only takes like 45 seconds. I have not figured out were the error is yet
    i have also experienced that with thread milling before, now it is some tapping, so it may be the tapping...

I haven't had a chance to program tapping yet. I know that I have some parts comming up that will require it. I will report back on the outcome. Also it only seems to do this when threading on a machining center. I do a lot of threading on a lathe and there times are pretty accurate.
    No matter how good you are, there is always someone better!!!

Try this: if you are doing multiple operations, simulate each one separately in order to try to see which one is generating the largest apparent timing error.

regards

well, after regenerating the estimated cycle time was 13.19mins, (actual is 8.30)

but when parting up drilling and tapping, the cycle times is 6.37 and 1.17, thats almost right!
    but when putting them together again, the cycle time is 13.19 again, did it twice.

strange that a so complicated program cannot figure out what 1.17+6.37 is...

Separate and conquer.
    Yes mildly worrysome, why not contact techsupport to see if there is a patch for that problem.

Good job

regards

In the post thee's a distance to tool change position (or home). When you say Move to Toolchange, it's calculating the move to that position, even if your not really moving that far. So if you run a single operation, it will not report the move to home/TChange in it's calculation. That could be the difference in time.

Mike
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Hi Mike: Good point,
    In G00, that time would be quite minimal (unless the machine has really slow rapids, and long distances to travel).
    This issue could be investigated by designing a couple of dummy toolpaths (really high feeds, short distances to make the machining time extremely low), and seeing the difference in times when the processes are simulated separately.

regads