586,103 active members*
3,339 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

best 4x8 cnc 30k to 40k

I've done some research but I'm sure I'm missing alot of companies. I've looked at the Precix machine for a while but want to make sure. A lot of people here have great experience. I build custom poker tables and use mostly 3/4" ply, mdf and particle board. I kinda like the shop saber but want to make sure it's heavy enough. Machine will run 2 to 3 hours a day.
    thanks

precix is or was our sister company not exactly sure , i know very little about them but it is to my understanding they are building pretty solid machine setups , a number of the guys there are good cnc machinists who are desinging and building them ,which beats some guy who is sitting behind a desk and never cut a chip in his life

shopsabre

Hello, In that price range shopsabre now has a machine that cuts at 1200 ipm.
    I have the 4896 from last year that tops out at 600 ipm, good company,
    no complaints. I will be reviewing their 4896 laser around the first part of April as some friends of mine are getting one.I saw the sample cuts ,the detail in wood was incredible.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by 1enick72 View Post
    Machine will run 2 to 3 hours a day.
    thanks
    I've ran mine up to 36 hrs straight with no problems. And that's with the vacuum table going. I've been averaging 60-70hr week for the last couple of months, as well. SS should workout fine for your needs.

Todd

i saw you are in GA

you can go see my new machine being fabricated at www.camaster.com in lafayette GA just an hour or so up the road from you

below is my first 4x8, the new one is 5x10,atc.lathe,

jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2318936255_e1b1bb874b.jpg   IMG_1058.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by BensMillwork View Post
    Hello, In that price range shopsabre now has a machine that cuts at 1200 ipm.
    I have the 4896 from last year that tops out at 600 ipm, good company,
    no complaints. I will be reviewing their 4896 laser around the first part of April as some friends of mine are getting one.I saw the sample cuts ,the detail in wood was incredible.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Ben I ran into my first problem with SS. There is no stop on the gantry Y axis and I ran it off the back side of table and wrecked one of the HIWIN EG 25's where do you get these from? There is a very simple fix to make sure that the gantry can't go past. a simple rubber stopper that I will now put on. It is hard to think they do't think of this. the stopper is a $4 part found in the boating section of any hardware store now I just wrecked probubly a $100+ part and am down for a week. also what did you do for dust skirt. Their skirt gets cought in the tool change. Thanks Later

kustom

does your machine have limit switches??

jim

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    does your machine have limit switches??

jim

Nop, Homeing Switches. I guess it was probubly another grand for limit switches. the program is supost to have soft limits to stop it but the soft limits are set to far out.

Quote Originally Posted by KustomKoncepts View Post
    ...........wrecked one of the HIWIN EG 25's where do you get these from?
    http://www.automation4less.com/linmed.htm
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

How did you break the slide? That's crazy. Your soft limits should be denoted by the red
    box on the screen. If the gantry goes past that with the soft limits on there's something wrong. Another option would be to MANUALLY run your tool back to the farthest point in Y to see it you'll have problems. The machine only does what your program tells it to do.
    As for the hairs on the dust skirt. I gave mine a hair cut on the tool changer side. Which solved the hair issue but not the dust collection. After that I just set up the camera to watch so I could leave the room. I figure, after the first pass whats the point of being there anyway.

Todd

Two, $3.99 ruber boat stops is a lot of insurance for me to not see the gantry Hiwin berring block not be able to run half way of the rail on the back side of this machine. plus the rubber gives it a soft stop instead of when the steel on steel hit yesterday and yes I did home it. it allows it to go and the back block runs half way off the rail exposing the ball berrings and causes a heck of a problem when you try to run it back in. if I had done it by hand cranking the Y axis it most likely would have been fine But now I never have to worry.

P.S I was able to find all but maybe one or two of the ball bearings and took that apart and found you can take the cap off and just put the ball's back in so I did not order a new part I fixed it myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc stop 1.jpg   cnc stop 2.jpg  

Ben I ran into my first problem with SS. There is no stop on the gantry Y axis and I ran it off the back side of table and wrecked one of the HIWIN EG 25's where do you get these from? There is a very simple fix to make sure that the gantry can't go past. a simple rubber stopper that I will now put on. It is hard to think they do't think of this. the stopper is a $4 part found in the boating section of any hardware store now I just wrecked probubly a $100+ part and am down for a week. also what did you do for dust skirt. Their skirt gets cought in the tool change. Thanks Later
    Hello, did you call mike at shopsabre and let them know.Yes ...it sounds like it may have been left off.I know I have limit switch on the front and a stop,to be honest I never paid much attention to the back.I will look at mine and see what it has.I'm still using the stock skirt and occasionally one of the hair will be in the tool holder ,but has never caused a problem, but I want to split the 4" duct into 2- 2" and come down each side of the motor and use those adhesive tie down to hold the hose and each hose will have an angle cut on it .That way I''ll have the suction much closer to the bit and be able to see better.Let me check this out and I'll post laster today.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Hello ,I looked at my machine and did a few test.When you home the machine and it hit all 3 limit switches, then set Zero at that point.Soft Limits will stop that gantry at 98 in from zero.But if you have Zero some place else which is often the case when not working with full 4x8 sheets and you hold down the arrow key headed full blast to the back on the y axis it looks like it would go right off, the worst that happens is the last two bearing come off the rail, which in that case you have to loosen them and get them back on the track and readjust them and it is possible to damage the bearing shopsabre told me if this happens.
    If you put a solid stop it may break it at 200 lbs of force.It seems it just a matter of trying to keep the price of the machine affordable.
    Although you rubber bumper should stop a gentle hit with out damaging the machine , but if it were to hit it at 600 IPM or worse on the new machines 1200IPM something would break I would think The new shopsabre will keep up with any machine under 100k. Also on pulley on the servos if one ever become loose and is not driving the gantry, you will notice a hole in the pulley with a hex head screwed in the hole or it may be missing.
    Don't worry about it, because that is not what tightens to pulley.If you take the cover off you will see 3 - 7/16" or 1/2" size bolts on the side of the pulley. Then with a socket or wrench tighten each of the those snug until they have the same resistance or use a torque wrench and that compresses the pulley onto the shaft. The set screw hole is from earlier designs as was not yet removed on some units. Jim, the owner design the special pulley to eliminate tiny screws that can break or become loose. I will send you a picture of my new dust connection as soon as I get it done.Let me know how the rubber bumper works
    Thanks
    Ben

I jumped the Gun...it does stop

Sorry about the mix up ....As long as you homed the machine and your soft limits are on the machine will stop at the back of the y axis.
    Thanks,
    Ben

I think my rubber stoppers are a insurance policy for me to not have the back berring block come off that is when it comes back in it will tear tose ball berings out. It should stop and never hit the rubber stoppers anyways the way it is set.

also my does 1200 in min and I hav found I can cut stuff at about 200 in max so the 1200 is overkill and not a practicle speed to cut onle rapid trans.

Hello Kustom

I think my rubber stoppers are a insurance policy for me to not have the back berring block come off that is when it comes back in it will tear tose ball berings out. It should stop and never hit the rubber stoppers anyways the way it is set.

also my does 1200 in min and I hav found I can cut stuff at about 200 in max so the 1200 is overkill and not a practicle speed to cut onle rapid trans.
    What type of material are you cutting ? I have cut 2d letting up to 600 ipm, and Melamine cabinet parts at high speeds with no chipping
    But machining in 2.5 D is a different story
    When I carve a sign using models imported from Vectorart3d, the machine never reaches full speed (even if it's set for high speed because all the detail and to keep control of a heavy 7.5 hp motor) Did you figure out what made the Gantry go off the rail, was it because you did not home the machine ?Were you able to put the bearing back in?
    I found a new website last night that had 3d models with incredible detail.
    http://www.3dmodelclub.com/index.php...hk=1&Itemid=93

ben

i am impressed with level of detail on the 3d site i have registered and am waiting to buy a few, have you done any carving with the file from this site jim

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    i am impressed with level of detail on the 3d site i have registered and am waiting to buy a few, have you done any carving with the file from this site jim
    Hello, No, I have not carved any of their models.I just found the site by accident yesterday.I use a lot of www.vectorart3d.com for signs cabinet doors ,door panels. or anything flat surface that you want to make more attractive.But like you said the detail of the model ,like the Indian on the horse for example is incredible.I will need to order a small ballnose to capture the detail maybe a .062 diameter tip I found some tapered ball nose that go down to .001 to .100
    Thanks,
    Ben

bits

carvewright has a .0625 taper that will do this i have several

check thier sit and sears may have them jim

tyler at mann tool can provide them as well 803 252 7777

Hello

Hello,yes Jim I have those,they are1/16 ballnose with 10 degree half angle.I use those alot.That's how I got started with cnc is the carvewright.I still have it and it still works, but it can be stubborn as a mule sometimes.My son had to make a catapult for school so last night I showed how to draw in the designer program that comes with the carvewright and he did his parts and we went down to the shop last night and put the material in and got it started and left it. This morning all the little parts were cut held in with tabs...the software is really easy for kids .Any vectors you assign a cutpath to it automatically put the tabs in place.Hopefully he will take a interest in it and I'll how to do real CNC
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12