586,058 active members*
4,019 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

back-light for LCD

Dear all.
    Anybody help me to find a back-light for LCD monitor of Fanuc 18i-M, now the monitor is very dark but the controller still working.
    Thanks and best regard

backlight

I dont know about the fanuc lcd but the backlight is pretty easy to replace in most laptops and lcd monitors. However, the most common problem is the inverter and not the backlight. here is a site that gives a good description on LCD repair and may help you to diagnose. I hope I havent jumped the gun and assumed you havent already done these checks.

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/lapto...ok-lcd-screen/

BTW after you have the inverter and backlight out it should be easier to find a suitable change over.

Bob

Digi-Key used to stock LCD flourescent tubes IIRC the make was JKL.
    They are not very expensive.
    You may have a double tube model and lost one tube.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Back lights

Looked into this over here. Biggest problem is they are not a standard length. If I remember rightly they are about 1/2" different, and diameter different. My supplier could only get the actual length in rediculous minimum supply quantities.
    Give the operator a torch!

or a lamp streacher!!

Is the LCD completely dark (back light not working at all?) or does it look like it is halfway lit? The reason I am asking is I have seen several time, where the back-light looks like dim. When I disassembled to replace the back light for the customer, I noticed on at least 2-3 occasion that Back light itself is working but what happen was the reflective material (looks like aluminum foil) on the plastic holder behind the back light became unglued and wrapped itself around the lamp and blocking the light! Basically, I just pulled that out and reinstall the lamp and have not complaint from the customers. Now that's the easy part.
    To get to the back light, you will need to pretty much disassemble the control. If you can still partially see what's on the screen, I would strongly recommend to do SRAM memory backup (see video here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HlQn-QCKJE"]YouTube - Fanuc 16i/ 18i/ 21i SRAM Memory backup[/ame]) before you start disassembling.
    I found it easy just to remove the control (LCD + yellow cover behind containing the main CPU board etc) from the machine (lable all the connectors before you disconnect them, pay special attention to the black optical connector. it has a small tab you need to press while pulling it down gently to disconnect the connector).
    Remove the yellow platic cover (4 screws). Disconnect the fan and battery (yes battery connector). Now the control has super-cap or charged capacitor that will hold backup memory for about 30-45 minutes with battery disconnected so you should not loose any memory if you can accomplish this task under 30 minutes. Also disconnect the LCD backlight connector from the PCB. Once you get down to the LCD, you should be able to see about 6-8 very small screws that need to come out to be able to remove the back cover on LCD and access the backlight lamp.
    Fanuc unfortunately uses 2-3 different suppliers for LCD and only way to find out which backlight you need is to get the LCD manufacturer's number (for example for LCDs made by SHARP, part number starts with LQxxxxxx etc.). This number ofcourse is on the back of LCD and you can not see until you remove the control. Once you get this number, please post it here and I will help you cross reference to Fanuc number. Like I said, you may not even need it if your LCD backlight is in the situation I described earlier.
    Good luck and feel free to send me private message to you need further help.

Quote Originally Posted by BKCOM View Post
    Dear all.
    Anybody help me to find a back-light for LCD monitor of Fanuc 18i-M, now the monitor is very dark but the controller still working.
    Thanks and best regard
    Any luck with this? I just found the instructions on how to replace backlight in fanuc manual and posted on our website.
    http://www.kfasllc.com/pdf/i_LCD_BKlight_replace.pdf

Re: back-light for LCD

need help on finding back light for fanuc 15m control

I replaced my whole 8.4" lcd for $49 on a 16m control last month. IF its the 8.4 they were made by sharp and used in laptops of that era. Took about 10 minutes to change and 9 screws I think. Was easier than a phone screen or tablet now a days. Pop it apart and look for part numbers. Other than Fanuc numbers you may get lucky. Ebay had a few of the ones I needed up to $100 I think. Most places were $2800+ for the whole thing.

Donny

If not to bothered about quality and just need to be able to read screen throw in a strip of self adhesive white 12v led , did quick repair on an old system the other week to get it useable as it went in middle of a production run, not ideal but made screen readable until parts could be sourced, then a call to say not to bother happy as it is brightness was adjusted by trimming the length I used ended up with 6 each side just added a switch and pinched the power from local supply, at around £3 for 5mtrs cost all of parts inde4r £5 and took me 10 minutes labour.

No need to disassemble the control, much easier to unscrew it from the op panel and slide it out a couple inches, then slide out the back light and put the new one in. Just bought some for a 18i and I think they were ~60.00 from Fanuc. They can cross reference from part numbers off the back of the control.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    No need to disassemble the control, much easier to unscrew it from the op panel and slide it out a couple inches, then slide out the back light and put the new one in. Just bought some for a 18i and I think they were ~60.00 from Fanuc. They can cross reference from part numbers off the back of the control.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk
    Can u take some pics to show us how to do it? thanks