586,103 active members*
3,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

SolidCAM Support

I don't know the guy you mention below (think he's new with SolidCAM) but I've had SolidCAM for a few years and the times I've needed help either through my reseller or through SolidCAM I've had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcglynn View Post
    Guys,

I've been working with Jim as I went through the eval process on CAM software. He knows the software and is very responsive -- and he is part of the reason I decided to go with SolidCAM over MasterCAM.

Personally I'm more interested in dual core CPU support. 64 bit support is good for applications that need a ton of memory, like rendering or importing models in solidworks.

From what I've seen so far, SolidCAM is primarily CPU bound, it doesn't use a lot of memory. Most computers in the past 2-3 years have been made with dual-core CPUs. If solidcam/solidworks took advantage of both cores we'd see processing times (eg, calculating toolpaths) instantly cut by half on the hardware we already own.

Dual Core CPU support

I think many of us may not be up to speed on what you mean when you say support of dual core CPU. Aren't there also now also quad cores.

Appears as if SolidCAM does not but does SolidWorks or or other CAD and CAM products currently take advantage of or support dual or quad CPU cores ??

If these above products are not yet supporting these dual or quad CPU cores is this something that they are promising in the future.

Personally I'm more interested in dual core CPU support. 64 bit support is good for applications that need a ton of memory, like rendering or importing models in solidworks.

From what I've seen so far, SolidCAM is primarily CPU bound, it doesn't use a lot of memory. Most computers in the past 2-3 years have been made with dual-core CPUs. If solidcam/solidworks took advantage of both cores we'd see processing times (eg, calculating toolpaths) instantly cut by half on the hardware we already own.

The current CPU chip technology produces multiple CPUs on one chip. Dual core is "just" two CPUs, quad core is of course four.

Most software available today is written with the expectation of having a single core. Supporting multiple cores takes some careful work in terms of how the algorithms in the software divide up the work -- but the benefit is huge. I'm working on a dual core Dell lap top with a 2.16 ghz processor. It's a fairly fast machine, and when it calculates toolpaths it maxes out half the CPU and leaves the other half idle.

Neither SolidWorks or SolidCAM (or Mastercam for that matter) take advantage of dual core machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Hubert View Post
    I think many of us may not be up to speed on what you mean when you say support of dual core CPU. Aren't there also now also quad cores.

Neither SolidWorks or SolidCAM (or Mastercam for that matter) take advantage of dual core machines.
    Actually, SolidWorks does use multi core processes for some things. Primarily on the more advanced stuff like rendering and FEA/CFD stuff. While it is not a full integration yet, they are working at getting it there. However it will be some time before it is used in every senario.

I'm currently running a Asus Mobo system which has 8 processors [dual quad]on it, I can't wait until they integrate it fully...
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

64 Bit Processor

From what I have heard, SolidCAM will release a supported 64 bit version shortly after SoidCAM2008 V12 is released.

Hey Jim,

What is the official word on the SolidCAM 2008 release dates?

Joe
    Crime Scene Choppers

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Appel View Post
    From what I have heard, SolidCAM will release a supported 64 bit version shortly after SoidCAM2008 V12 is released.

SolidCAM 2008 release date

The target date for SolidcAM 2008 V12 is the end of May 2008.

SolidCAM 64 bit

One of the SolidCAM support guys told me that this would be released not in a month or so when SolidCAM 2008 is released but late in 2008 when SolidCAM 2009 is released. He said this will also be about the time that SolidWorks 2009 comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Appel View Post

We use Solidcam at work for 3 years now,we are going to buy Cimatron though. Since Solidcam is Israeli program (and I'm from Israel) we thought that tech support would be good-WRONG,WRONG,WRONG. We had 2 machines out of 6 doing absolutly nothing for 4!!! days,because of the problems with post(5 axis machines).They (Solidcam team) do not seem
    to know what is going on with their own program!!! We called Cimatron and they installed their program,no problem with posts, 4th and 5th axis are doing exactly what we want them to do-I'm one happy Cimatron customer now.

Hi: Rusty, I have the same issues, I'm waiting for MasterCam to be tied into SolidWorks, and then I'll relegate the SC to the scrap bin. I like the user interface, but the support has something left to be desired. Seems that adding the ability to use the transform functions for 3X for my post is $650, on top of the $800 I had to pay to get a fagor 3X post to work.

OH well, live and learn...
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

It seems to me that we must very lucky here in the UK as the SolidCAM support is first rate and on the rare occaisions that SolidCAM UK have not been able to fix it, the support from Israel is pretty good. On the posts issue, it ain't that hard to write your own for SolidCAM (all the documentation is there) if you are out of maintenance.

Has any one heard about the automatic program mirror function that is being developed? I have seen it and it looks very good, working on plain 3D and 5 axis simultaneous, but with problems in 3 + 2. This would be a godsend to me as every part I program is handed and the on machine mirror functions mean that I either accept a reverse in the direction of cut or get left hand cutting tooling.

Yes you are lucky in the UK, no cold winters like Canada, and closer to Israel for tech support.
    They would be smart to integrate their tech support, the net could allow us some acces to the folks that write this software...

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

I doubt that SC allows it, but does anyone know if a person can sell their licence to a new user? Cam, rather than throw it out just send it to me.. I'll even pay the postage

Do you users know if SC will do filtering of the tool path to create arcs rather than short line segments for faster running on your machine?
    JerryFlyGuy
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Sell license

We bought a SC used seat(milling) at about half price, you still have to pay for tech support though...

interesting Rusty! Ok.. If anyone wants to sell me a license.. I'm open to offers officially!! I'll even throw in my current CAM in trade?!
    JerryFlyGuy

Happy SolidCAM Customer

I have used Solidworks for about 10 years now and recently purchased solidcam. I tried out MasterCam for a while but I found the solidcam interface with solidworks to be much more intuitive for me just because that's what I was used to. I have not had any problems with the software yet running with my VF-2 and the customer support has been top notch.

There have been at least two occasions where I was hung up on something I didnt know how to do with the software and I was able to resolve both issues by calling my rep and having him walk me through it. Both of these occasions were after hours (around 7:00PM). I dont know how the customer service is in other places but I am in Oregon and so far I have been impressed. My 2 cents.

My circumstance is very similar to yours. I mostly do mill and Wire EDM. I also am in the states (Michigan) and have not experienced major problems with program stability or technical support (I do my own posts). A combination of dealing with my reseller and SolidCAM (mostly USA, occasionally Israel) has worked very well for me. I've been in this CAM business for over 30 years and am able to favorably compare this to other CAM experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by akedward View Post
    I have used Solidworks for about 10 years now and recently purchased solidcam. I tried out MasterCam for a while but I found the solidcam interface with solidworks to be much more intuitive for me just because that's what I was used to. I have not had any problems with the software yet running with my VF-2 and the customer support has been top notch.

There have been at least two occasions where I was hung up on something I didnt know how to do with the software and I was able to resolve both issues by calling my rep and having him walk me through it. Both of these occasions were after hours (around 7:00PM). I dont know how the customer service is in other places but I am in Oregon and so far I have been impressed. My 2 cents.

Wow, I guess you are luckier than us Canadians.
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

i second that i feel like a girl in a bar solidcam in canada is like a guy in the bar buys you drinks till it sounds like a good idea then after you you slept with him (purcased solidcam ) he is out the door and you never here from him again.

Page 2 of 3 123