586,106 active members*
3,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Manual Machinist needs help....

Guys,
    I have been a prototype/tool and die maker for over 20 years along with B&S Screwmachines mixed in there. My preveious job held me back from the CNC aspect of the field. Now....I have left the company and I want to start some kind of CNC training...but i feel I need a background first instead of just jumping into a class. I have some AutoCAD skills and I think that will help a lot.

But my questions is this: To get a real grasp on CNC programming....what do you guys suggest I do first?

Get some books on the subject at the library?

What about DVDs or videos of CNC type training?

Any ideas would be great. I will check the library this weekend.

Thanks all!

Dave
    This "old dog" is learning a new trick!

Hi Dave,

I'm not a teacher.... But you already have the skills to pick it up quickly. I sure in your days of tool and die work you worked with DROs on your machines. Figuring your X & Y locations for different features of a workpiece on a mill. Or setting the diameter and length on a lathe. Then just dialing to those coordinates on the DRO ... day after day....

Cnc mills are programmed with X & Y being the center of tool and Z being end of tool. That part is just like the manuals. You just need to learn the G-code part which if you're planning on taking some classes you'll pick it up there, quickly.

I wish I could be more help,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

Hi:
    I was like you, lot's of manual machining, no CNC exposure. I picked up some books to get the theory straight, and then I took the plunge by buying a CNC mill for our workplace (baptism by fire). I never had anyone show me how to do it, but as Jack stated, you already have the machining skills. Also, todays CNC controls are very intuative with @ spindle programming etc. 8 years later (no machining marks on the vises, chucks or tables ), we now have 3 CNC machines humming happily away.
    The bottom line: my advise is to "tool up" with the theory (the basics), and then try to find a job doing setup/operating. This will give you some experience. You can move on from there.

regards

regards

I plunged in with all 4 feet and purchased a small benchtop cnc mill purchased Mach3 software, Bobcad software and started studying. and it's been a while since I was working in a machine shop. I am still learning and can barely write a couple of lines of gcode. Using Mach3 and cam software on my drawing files makes things go pretty well for the most part. Have fun,

You've already got a great start with your manual experience, fixturing, speeds and feeds etc will be no problem to you.

CNC ain't that hard, I'd get a free CAD system, a free CAM system and see what the code it outputs does (you can get a free simulator). You don't need to generate all the G- Code, the CAM system will do it, then go through each code line and look up what they do

Personaly, I haven't manualy coded anything for years- I rely totaly on the CAM output (I might alter a few lines, but that's it).
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Guys....thanks so much for your input. I went out on long term disability and at that time....they can only hold your position for a few weeks. So now....I am officially unemployed and taking advantage of my Long Term Benefit. Physically ready to go to a class yet. So.....I will seekin the CNC knowledge I have been looking for thru dvds and books.

I designed many tooling modifications, assembly machines....too many things to list. I started AutoCAd and once the guys saw how fast I jumped into that....everyone got real nervous. The basically pushed me out back in the shop once a guy who had no clue as what he was doing on cAD. He did not like the ease of aproach when designing and he struggled.

I also design RC autogyros which are a lot of fun. But once you are on disabiliy....you can not make any extra cash or they will nail you for it. So...I had to take my gyro business off the net. Pretty sad...but I had to do it. Just business....I am not too upset....I find the perfect opportunity to study CNC.

So....I have another question....may sound far fetched....but I have to ask. In the "gamer" generation we are in, does anyone make a CNC simulator that you can set up with virtual tools and program and make a part? Like a cumputer game? Anyone make this???? Sorry...I had to ask!

Dave

Sorry to hear the bad news, The company I had worked for kept me active for 12 months before making my status in-active(terminate).

Mach3 cnc control software will let your run programs on a computer without having a machine connected to it. Free To Try.... $159.00 (unlock all features).

All my hobby machines are wheelchair accessible. They all sit on really short benches.

Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

There's pleanty of free simulators eg:

http://www.cnc-support.se/index.php?...d=32&Itemid=72
    (I know it's a german link, but the sub links are English).

or do a search on these forums for "free simulator"

However, they all have their own particular nuances, it may be better to get a free one then really learn on the demo version of the cam system you will eventualy use.

Stick with AUtoCAD though and save your drawing as a DXF file then import that into your new CAD system. Nothing (imho) matches AutoCAD for speed and versatility (others may dissagree- it's what your used to I guess).
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much.

As far as my job went...I was on short term disability for 26 weeks...then turns into long term disability and they terminate you once on long term. Sucks...but I have some $$ coming in and I will finally be able to have a posative change in my career path!

I will check the free simulator link. This is getting exciting. Thanks for the help everyone....

Dave