586,102 active members*
2,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > A/C Spindle bearings and Linear rail lubrication?

A/C Spindle bearings and Linear rail lubrication?

SHS25 THK Linear Rails:
    In addition to the recommended block/carriage grease, do the rails need to be oiled?

LATHE SPINDLE BEARINGS (angular contact, 95mm ID, 7019, ABEC 7, 15o contact angle, DB arrangement, Max RPM:3500, Typical RPM: 500-1000):
    What is a good type of oil lubricant for A/C spindle bearings in an oil bath setup. I was thinking that Mobil DTE would be good. I havn't yet figured out the proper viscosity (i'll probably post this a little later).

Mack,I am using a Thermwood router with THK HSR-25's.The oil is vaporised and fed to each block and ballscrew under low pressure.The pressure tends to blow away or prevent swarf and dirt from entering the bearings.No need for grease.
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Regarding spindle bearings, i found an answer to my question. The mobil DTE is made for this application, and from the SKF online bearing calculator iso68 grade looks to be a good viscosity for this size of bearing and RPM range.

For linear rail lubrication, i've read that light white lithium grease can be used also. My last uncertainty is whether it's ok to use both grease and oil lubrication on a linear rail.